Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    ketchup works fine
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    PREGO IS NOT GOOD

You shut your whore mouth. You probably use Ragu.

God tier

raos_sauce.jpg
    dkmouthsig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I use this stuff called 'Classico'

It has pictures of rustic ingredients on it

was using classico because it's tasty, but it all has high fructose corn syrup in it.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Would it be so hard for the grocery store to put the dairy, eggs and produce in one place so I can get in an out in 10 minutes without sullying myself?

They intentionally put the most commonly desired items in the 4 corners of the store. This way you have to walk through the whole store, possibly getting you to buy something extra you didn't initially want to buy.

Sometimes in upscale neighborhoods you'll see all of the essentials in one spot, since the person shopping just wants to get in and get out and will simply find a new store where this is possible.
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    I'd buy Newman's Own sauce more often if it weren't so gotdanged expensive.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    I bought one nice pair of actual glass sunglasses as a treat right after I got my eyes lazored. I lost them in a move 2 years later. What a pisser. Can't bring myself to buy another pair like that again.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    dont start with jarred spaghetti sauce

get yourself some canned crushed and purree'd tomatoes and start with that if you aren't looking to do something from scratch

That's almost from scratch! The jar sauce already has onions and garlic in it, I just gotta add oregano and red pepper.
    I'M ITALIAN

get yourself some canned crushed and purree'd tomatoes and start with that if you aren't looking to do something from scratch

I find making it completely from scratch to be oddly intimidating. I'm not even sure why.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

was using classico because it's tasty, but it all has high fructose corn syrup in it.

That's why it's "tasty"
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

nah dude, decent jarred sauce is good enough 99% of the time. Especially if you doctor it a little.

I am all for stuff being made in the old way from scratch, but sometimes you want to eat in 10-15 minutes, and fuck doing all that extra work for maybe a 10-15% increase in quality.

It is better to make from scratch, no doubt... but not so much better to justify the difference when cooking for yourself or you and your partner on a Tuesday.
    meat.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Not everything jarred is terribad. Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa is god tier
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    PREGO IS NOT GOOD

God tier

raos_sauce.jpg

$8 for a jar of sauce? I call that getting swindled and pimped.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    SHUTTUP GETH YOU ARE A LIAR YOU CAN'T EVEN EAT SALSA YOU STUPID ROBOT
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek

I find making it completely from scratch to be oddly intimidating. I'm not even sure why.

because it takes a day.
    aint noone got time for that.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i imagine even the baseline, mass market sauces are better than what the average person could whip up if they tried to make it from scratch.
    Deebaser wrote: »

That's why it's "tasty"

Yup. Trying to avoid HFCS is a pro tier challenge. I fucking dare anybody to go shopping for a week and try to avoid it 100%.

It is very hard and very fucking expensive.
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Sockarooni Baybee!
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I guess I need to find a ray ban store that doesn't work off commission or isn't run by someone who gives a fuck so I can see the model number.

I'd really like to own these shades before I go to the beach.

You could go to the flagship store. They wont give any fucks. They aren't there to move product.

right - and your edit IS the actual model I was wearing, though I don't think my lenses were polarized "green" - also, I can't seem to google my way to a ray ban flagship store in nyc.

How does M&Ms get a flagship store, but not Rayban?
    How did POPTARTS???
    Sara and I walked past the Swatch flagship at like 10:30pm on a friday night and that place was PACKED...i was like "what..............."
    Swatch is on the same level as poptarts in my mind.

Also, i just looked and that store is open until 1am...WHAT

I never saw that on the ingredients list. When was the last time you tried it?
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    For the last 10 minutes I was saying to myself, who is Jarred

Dang
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Organichu wrote: »
    i imagine even the baseline, mass market sauces are better than what the average person could whip up if they tried to make it from scratch.

no.
    Christ no.
    We have the internet.
    Any slack-jawed gogurt chugging trog can follow a sauce recipe.

#FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    A good trick to shop healthy is to never walk through the aisles unless absolutely needed. Always walk the perimeter.

Generally speaking, stores put the milk, eggs, meats, and produce along the outer walls, so shopping this way restricts you to fresh ingredients.
    meat.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Popped back in to agree with this, Classico or death
    I have made it from scratch, using whole canned tomatoes, a couple of times. It tasted very good. But it took too long!
    I have made it from scratch, using whole canned tomatoes, a couple of times. It tasted very good. But it took too long!
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Popped back in to agree with this, Classico or death

YEAH GURL
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Jarred spaghetti sauce is weak in flavour and contains about your body weight in sodium

Cut that shit out
    BEAST! wrote: »
    I guess I need to find a ray ban store that doesn't work off commission or isn't run by someone who gives a fuck so I can see the model number.

I'd really like to own these shades before I go to the beach.

You could go to the flagship store. They wont give any fucks. They aren't there to move product.

right - and your edit IS the actual model I was wearing, though I don't think my lenses were polarized "green" - also, I can't seem to google my way to a ray ban flagship store in nyc.

How does M&Ms get a flagship store, but not Rayban?
    How did POPTARTS???
    Sara and I walked past the Swatch flagship at like 10:30pm on a friday night and that place was PACKED...i was like "what..............."
    Swatch is on the same level as poptarts in my mind.

Also, i just looked and that store is open until 1am...WHAT

o_O
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    man just make tomato sauce while the water boils it takes like 5 minutes
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    PREGO IS NOT GOOD

God tier

raos_sauce.jpg

$8 for a jar of sauce? I call that getting swindled and pimped.

Well yeah, you'd make it yourself if you were worried about cost. But for those of us without 8 hours a day to cook a tomato sauce it's great.

I'll pay $8 to save that kind of time.

Trust me, DK knows his shit on that one. You really don't know what you're missing until you switch out of ragu.

Also preggo is still better than ragu. So if you're using the cheaper brands stick with preggo.
    I think I'm going to get an ipad and write it off as a business expense.
    bowen wrote: »

Dooo eeeet. They are great.
    meat.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

you wanker
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Wait, why are you all even buying pasta sauce

The macaroni COMES with cheese. It's in the box!
    wait what, i thought that was just one of those things to suck up the moisture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Making tomato sauce starting from whole fresh tomatoes is actually p hard to get right and in the end, even expert chefs agree that it's either a wash or using a combination of canned crushed tomatoes and canned tomato paste actually works better.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    god dammit you plebes

get some hot italian sausage. brown that in a pot with some garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and diced onion.

dump some crushed and puree'd tomatoes ontop, to suit your preference for chunkyness. also add a can of water (this is going to cook for a while)

add spices. basil, oregano, red pepper, salt, pepper, more garlic, a little bit of sugar.

if you have made meatballs (god fucking help you if they were once frozen) you should be putting them in there now.

stir to combine, then turn your stove on low, and walk away, and let it cook for a few hours. check every now and then to make sure it isn't getting too hot.
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

no.
    Christ no.
    We have the internet.
    Any slack-jawed gogurt chugging trog can follow a sauce recipe.

maybe it is true for something as numerical as a big pot of sauce, but i find that lots of fresh-made food sucks when made by a home cook. no matter how fresh your ingredients are if you put may too much salt or dry something out it tastes like ass.

i enjoy a locally sourced, gourmet-ingredient meal at a restaurant. but i've found very few people who can replicate it at home and tons of 'family recipes' suck dick.

it's like with driving. if you hear people talk about drivers online, it's always stories about other shitty drivers and everyone will join in. if you take them at face value, everyone on the internet is a great driver and none of the shitty ones own computers. and i think that same phenomenon is true for cooks. everyone insists with a smirk that they could class up any dish and do it better than whatever conglomerate's food scientists. but i've eaten more shitty homecooked meals than good ones.
    How to make an easy sauce:

3 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can 16oz of tomato paste, cook for 30 minutes as a simmer, Toss in some minced garlic and pepper and maybe some red pepper flakes.

Pour that shit on your pasta and eat it.

How to be lazy: Bust open your bottle of Heinz 57 and pour it on your pasta.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    get some hot italian sausage
    *giggle*
This discussion has been closed.