Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I really just want Burnout Paradise 2.

same, but Revenge 2.

How about Paradise 2, but with Crash mode added back in?
    beaversig2.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    dead space 1
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I was hoping that Most Wanted would be Paradise 2 in all but name, but nope, not really.

All they really needed to do was remove the cops and it pretty much would be.

It certainly would have helped.

But there were a few other things about it that were kinda off as well.
    The car handling never felt quite right to me, for example, always seemed a little too heavy.
    Langly wrote: »
    i am trying to think of a survival horror game that doesn't have awkward controls and I can not think of any off the top of my head

Dead Space series
    beaversig2.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    eternal dark? maybe?

No, it had some pretty dumb controls. they weren't the worst but they weren't good.

Which is why Survival horror is kind of dead. The inability to interact with the game in a clean manner added a level to everything that made what would normally be a 3 second encounter into an ordeal.

Now that people want games that don't handle like shit all the time, it's become a lot harder to pull off.

I never found dead space scary because i knew i could quickly beat everything. Once i learned how the controls worked in RE4 i was rolling over everything that wasn't the re-generators.
    RE4 wasn't really survival horror

it was a survival spaniard killing simulator
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

So, the spanish typically wear sacs on their heads while using chainsaws?

Man, i really am uncultured.
    Melding wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

So, the spanish typically wear sacs on their heads while using chainsaws?

Man, i really am uncultured.

only 1 in like every 30
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

Also, re4 was amazing. I think on one of my saves i have pile 30 of the magnum revolver, and i've almost perfected the mercs, i'm missing a Leon and a hunk level.

fucking love that game.
    edited May 2013
    holy shit I didn't know Burnout Revenge came out on 360! Gonna go add that to my Gamefly and get my crash mode on.
    SyphonBlue on
    beaversig2.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    i am trying to think of a survival horror game that doesn't have awkward controls and I can not think of any off the top of my head

Dead Space
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular

Dead Space series

does Dead Space really count as survival horror?

maybe the first one
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Alan Wake
    Dead Space is barely survival or horror.

It might be Action Horror. or Survival Action.

Or Action Shooter.

yeah, action shooter works.

It's a horror themed Action Shooter.

Or Action Shooter.

2 and 3 yes

but 1 is definitely survival horror
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

Or Action Shooter.

I'm gonna disagree, item/inventory management is a huuuuuge part of Dead Space 1.

It's true they toned that down in Dead Space 2 and made it utterly meaningless in 3 though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    maybe it's because i used the ripper, but i had so much ammo and health, survival wasn't even a thing.

God Bless you The Ripper.
    Zay wrote: »

Dead Space series

maybe the first one

all 3 scared the shit out of me so
    beaversig2.jpg
    Maximum wrote: »
    Alan Wake

not a survival game, you may as well have unlimited ammo/batteries for as much as they matter (which is not at all)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    the difficulty you play Dead Space 1 and 2 on also has a pretty significant impact in how it plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I think Patrick and Vinny made up for the ridiculous jokes in the Year Walk quick look by talking it up as really great on the Bombcast like two weeks in a row.
    aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Alone in the Dark.
    I played the first dead space on the hardest difficulty before you beat it, because soemone said it was easy, and that person is someone I often consider not very good at video games, and if they're complaining about low difficulty, well, clearly I'm too cool for normal.

But seriously, the ripper. That gun is amazing.
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    That quicklook sold me on Cry of Fear, which has the added bonus of being free on Steam!

Anyone here want to co-op later?
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    The open inventory sound in Cry of Fear is very, very similar to the Xbox sound when you open the dashboard from the controller. It's weirding me out everytime.
    aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
    I noticed that too. I kept wondering if someone was messing around with a 360 in the background.
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also, re4 was amazing. I think on one of my saves i have pile 30 of the magnum revolver, and i've almost perfected the mercs, i'm missing a Leon and a hunk level.

fucking love that game.

Mercs is great, and also infuriating at the same time. Leon is so darn weak, so you really have to figure out how to maximize your efficiency. But that's what's fun about it. At some point I wanna get Mercenaries for the 3DS in hopes it's just as good.
    rfilyaw on
    I really want RE to never have co-op again.

Or least make it a separate mode instead of building your entire fucking game around it.
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

Dead Space series

maybe the first one

all 3 scared the shit out of me so

are you scared of your shadow as well
    I played the first dead space on the hardest difficulty before you beat it, because soemone said it was easy, and that person is someone I often consider not very good at video games, and if they're complaining about low difficulty, well, clearly I'm too cool for normal.

what the hell did you do against the leviathan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Couldn't it be scaled down?

it is much easier to scale up than scale down

recent interviews have said it's been in development since 2009 and is in fact targeting current-gen
    personaqn.png
    Balefuego wrote: »

what the hell did you do against the leviathan

used a different gun. I had a bunch of them. I just used the ripper as my general walking around gun. I barely even upgraded the thing. Most of my upgrades when to the plasma cutter, with the odd one going to the assault rifle and flame thrower. I think i upgraded the damage on the ripper once, decided that the difference didn't really matter and kept going.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    holy shit I didn't know Burnout Revenge came out on 360! Gonna go add that to my Gamefly and get my crash mode on.

Note that the online servers were taken down a while back (I was in the farewell TNT!)
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Amnesia does not have awkward controls!

But it is also a first person survival horror so it is kind of playing by different rules
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    I actually really like the way Eternal Darkness controls

Especially limb targeting, I thought that was a really clever scheme
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!

Gotta recharge my mana.

Gonna hang out here and run around in circles for a minute or two.
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Gotta recharge my mana.

That's not controls!
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
    SimBen wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Gotta recharge my mana.

That's not controls!

I'll show you controls…
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Chico those controls are inverted, no thank you
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg