Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    fun fact re: all these yoshi avatars

in grade 7 i wrote a 200 page fanfiction by hand in a notebook about my fan made yoshi and his friends and adventures. he was a samurai and also blue.

Yoshimitsblu?

oh fuck right off
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    But

Sony has already said the PS4 is not always-on
    “Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it," Yoshida told Game Informer.

The reason? Many of the same factors that were brought against former Microsoft executive Adam Orth when he told critics of "always-online" to just "deal with it."

"The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections," Yoshida said. "It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular

in grade 7 i wrote a 200 page fanfiction by hand in a notebook about my fan made yoshi and his friends and adventures. he was a samurai and also blue.

so the truth comes out, Mike Blais

or should I say

Carl Champlin, Jr
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
    But

Sony has already said the PS4 is not always-on
    “Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it," Yoshida told Game Informer.

The reason? Many of the same factors that were brought against former Microsoft executive Adam Orth when he told critics of "always-online" to just "deal with it."

"The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections," Yoshida said. "It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”

PS4 != games on PS4
    i don't want it to be a reality but in some capacity i really think it is now
    Like think about what the online pass actually did

It didn't lock you out of entire games, it just locked you out of certain parts or content

100% something that could be just straight transferred to "if you don't have an active internet connection you don't get to do this"
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Nah

I really, really doubt it

If it is, bummer for people that buy EA games, I guess

Unless they do a Mirror's Edge 2 I shouldn't be affected
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Unless they do a Mirror's Edge 2 I shouldn't be affected

i don't remember mentioning Google Glass or Google Glass' platform exclusive

It didn't lock you out of entire games, it just locked you out of certain parts or content

100% something that could be just straight transferred to "if you don't have an active internet connection you don't get to do this"

What are they realistically going to lock you out of?

Multiplayer?

Something that requires online anyways?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

When I was in 7th grade I doodled new arm cannon modes for Samus in my notebook and wrote little blurbs about what they did.

If I remember correctly, the ice beam turned into a super-cold shotgun, the wave cannon turned into an electric sword, the plasma beam became a lava whip and the power beam morphed into a giant laser (like the Vector Cannon in ZOE 2).
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    edited May 2013
    I mean they mentioned on a recent Bombcast that EA specifically went out of their way to mention that always-online is not going to be required for The Sims 4

And that's a game on PC! Where basically everyone has an Internet connection!

I think EA realized just how badly they fucked up with SimCity

But keep talking about that sky falling, I guess
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg

What are they realistically going to lock you out of?

Multiplayer?

Something that requires online anyways?

not all multiplayer requires online?

there have been plenty of cases where not having the online pass (or equivalent from different publishers) has locked you out of single player content

off the top of my head arkham city, RAGE, and Kingdoms of Amalur are all recent games that have done this

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    If always-online ever becomes a thing on every console in any generation, I'll completely skip that generation and other console generations that continue it.
    I mean they mentioned on a recent Bombcast that EA specifically went out of their way to mention that always-online is not going to be required for The Sims 4

i think this is different from sky falling stuff

there is 100% precedent for single player content not existing without an online pass?

i want this to be a face value thing too

but I don't think it will be, there is going to be something to replace this
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

there is 100% precedent for single player content not existing without an online pass?

What does this sentence mean?
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Just assuming the worst, my friend

The signs all point to this always-online thing just being a stupid rumor that hopefully dies next week with MS's conference

Sony's not backing it

EA was badly, badly burned by it

EA has also said that their next-gen development costs will hold steady
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    If always-online ever becomes a thing on every console in any generation, I'll completely skip that generation and other console generations that continue it.

You might as well quit now. Just rip that band-aid right off.
    steam_sig.png
    captaink wrote: »

that there is 100% precedent for single player content being locked away from people unless they bought their game unopened, new from retail

i could've been worded better but for those people that content doesn't exist unless they have the code to prove they bought the game

Or buy a PS4 or Wii U
    wRbeRNg.jpg

Or buy a PS4 or Wii U

Or rip it off taking some hair along with it.
    steam_sig.png
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular

remember that arkham city stuff with catwoman
    2wrn580.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular
    Meow meow I am a cat
    what?
    What am I watching?
    EA has also said that their next-gen development costs will hold steady

they actually said that for FY 2014 their operating costs would remain flat

this will 100% change post-2014 I am literally to bet actual dollars on it

they literally talked about this on this particular bombcast!
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

that there is 100% precedent for single player content being locked away from people unless they bought their game unopened, new from retail

i could've been worded better but for those people that content doesn't exist unless they have the code to prove they bought the game

Online pass is specifically "Buy a game new, get multiplayer for free", or pay $10 if you buy used. Single player stuff is a different thing.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Hullis wrote: »

remember that arkham city stuff with catwoman

I sure do

And note that Injustice, WB's next major game after Arkham City, didn't even have an online pass in a fighting game

The online pass was an experiment. It's not even really an experiment I had much of a problem with, personally. But it seems to have, for all intents and purposes, failed. When's the last time you saw a game do that?

And I'm talking about real content, not piddly shit like "go collect some dog tags from the Normandy crash" that is just a waste of time to even create, let alone charge for it
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Just assuming the worst, my friend

yup you're 100% correct but watch

by 2015 we will have games that require an online connection to access single player content in the game

hopefully people respond and by 2017 this will also disappear but that's dependant on a bunch of other factors

i am not saying this will happen right away. But long term? absolutely!
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Or buy a PS4 or Wii U

This is what I plan to do at some point. Wii U's looking more likely, because as cool as the streaming thing sounds, the Wii U has more upcoming exclusives that excite me (Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, are the four that come to mind immediately)
    Sweeney Tom on

Online pass is specifically "Buy a game new, get multiplayer for free", or pay $10 if you buy used. Single player stuff is a different thing.

Uh no it's not? Kingdoms of Amalur literally had EA's "Online Pass" and locked you out of 7(?) Single player missions

it is not a different thing

it is exactly this thing
    to be fair I have 0 problems with an online pass and don't think they should get rid of it
    Olivaw wrote: »
    There's already single-player content that requires an internet connection

It's called "DLC"

Sometimes it's even on the disc!

exactly! so look for this to become a way more prominent thing where the switch for unlocking the on-disc content is "am i connected to the internet"
    With the way media and video games are moving, I can't see physical video games at a store existing much longer which means that'll in order to get them you'll have to be online. Maybe this next gen will be the final stand for it but no way will the gen after that will they exist.

Maybe they'll have offline mode like Steam has but if you want to keep playing games in the future then you'll need some kind of connection in order to get them.
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Nah

People are always gonna want physical media for some things

I will never, ever buy a digital film

And if I'm paying past a certain price threshold for a game, that shit's gonna be physical
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Maybe they'll have offline mode like Steam has but if you want to keep playing games in the future then you'll need some kind of connection in order to get them.

absolutely this is going to happen

app stores are a good example of this already being a thing and it just has to move to the bigger side of things
    Nah

People are always gonna want physical media for some things

I will never, ever buy a digital film

And if I'm paying past a certain price threshold for a game, that shit's gonna be physical

i super agree but for the 100% superficial reason that I like stacking games on shelves......
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    give me hotline miami on mini cd
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    With the way media and video games are moving, I can't see physical video games at a store existing much longer which means that'll in order to get them you'll have to be online. Maybe this next gen will be the final stand for it but no way will the gen after that will they exist.

It gets mentioned every time someone brings this up, but that's pretty silly. Remember, just because you're set up to operate that way doesn't mean everyone else is. A huge segment of the market will continue buying games on physical media for a long time to come, and that includes many people who are capable of going the digital route but just don't for whatever reason. The first console to completely eliminate physical media will either crash and burn, be a niche device, or not exist until at least a few decades from now.