Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    man dust 514 has a ridiculous amount of planets

these can't all be different maps, right

Think of everything you've heard about EVE Online and CCP

What do you think
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    I think they've popped up in merchant's stores before but so far I can't buy them consistently
    You should be able to buy them from the chapter 12 shop (Port Ferox)

Also if you're using Chrom instead of sheltering him then he should be a roided out rage beast pretty quickly, so you can get away with taking his weapons, pairing him with somebody, and then just sending him into the range of whoever you want to recruit so they go for chrom instead of people who will counter attack
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
  • The BetmanThe Betman Are you afraid of God, Booker? No. But I am afraid of you.Registered User regular
    never, if I've heard correctly
    78dZ1eI.jpg

D3: TheBetman#1189 Steam XBox Live: The Betman PSN: The Betman 3DS: 1521-2933-5072
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Oh god I just got to the point where Fire Emblem kind of opens up (shops are open and also all the wi-fi stuff got unlocked) and oh god there are so many things I can do what do I spend my money on what's with those older FE heroes aaah
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    never, if I've heard correctly

Yeah. They want PC people to play EVE. They've said maybe once the PS3 starts to die off they'll look at porting to PS4 or PC, but that is several years off.
    Also thank god for that optimize equipment function I finally discovered because fuck inventory micromanagement with that many characters.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh god I just got to the point where Fire Emblem kind of opens up (shops are open and also all the wi-fi stuff got unlocked) and oh god there are so many things I can do what do I spend my money on what's with those older FE heroes aaah

Vulneraries for every pair is a good start, and tonics are useful boosts that you can use pre-battle. The older FE heroes can be summoned to your map - you can either defeat them to recruit the lead unit, hire the lead unit with cash (though you won't get any of their items) or buy their sweet loot. You can summon them as many times as you like, some heroes with good swag are Eirika, Micaiah, Celica, Ephraim and Hector.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Also thank god for that optimize equipment function I finally discovered because fuck inventory micromanagement with that many characters.

Yeah its pretty great. Sometimes it gives some weird loadouts, though.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Vulneraries for every pair is a good start, and tonics are useful boosts that you can use pre-battle. The older FE heroes can be summoned to your map - you can either defeat them to recruit the lead unit, hire the lead unit with cash (though you won't get any of their items) or buy their sweet loot. You can summon them as many times as you like, some heroes with good swag are Eirika, Micaiah, Celica, Ephraim and Hector.

Yeah I feel like I'll keep the DLC heroes for post-story if I feel like playing more enough to get every hero. I tried plunking a level-1 down and fighting against him just for shits and giggles but the only character I have who could even damage one of those guys was Frederick, so I went oh god nope and went to bed.

Speaking of Frederick, I'm starting to feel a little bad about always putting him into my fights but he's one of the core four damn it, also he's always there to bail me out when things get close. I do try to use him as little as possible in actual battle though, because I'd much rather put experience into everyone else.
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    give me

a suda 51/kojima collab

they were working on something together a few years ago

a sequel to Kojima's old Bladerunner-inspired adventure game Snatcher

unfortunately the project never really got off the ground

that's not QUITE true.
    2wrn580.png
    As a person who really likes Persona but has never cared to play any other SMT game, why should I give a shit about SMT4

Note: I like Persona for the setting, the writing, and the characters

I like the combat a lot, but that's stil secondary
    smt combat is like persona combat but better

the setting writing and characters are usually p. good too
    personaqn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    give me

a suda 51/kojima collab

they were working on something together a few years ago

a sequel to Kojima's old Bladerunner-inspired adventure game Snatcher

unfortunately the project never really got off the ground

that's not QUITE true.

so uh if nothing else everyone who loves rockin 80s tunes needs to listen to the beginning of this
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I gotta say, the setting of SMT4 is a really off-putting.
  • T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular
    oh cool are people gonna play Dust 514 again 'cause I think that game is tunnels of fun
    "it is the year 1492 in the eastern kingdom of--"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I love that Suda plays the dude on the can
    2wrn580.png
    Yeah SMT4 is set in... the future renaissance? I don't even think I get it.
    Sdatcher acts as a prequel to the snatcher series and it's really good

now give me suda 51 policenauts and we're golden
    2wrn580.png
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    yeah sure just let me boot up my PS3...

oh wait i don't have one, joke's on you!

you're missing out on a fantastic system, joke's on you?

T4CT wrote: »
    yeah sure just let me boot up my PS3...

oh wait i don't have one, joke's on you!

you're missing out on a fantastic system, joke's on you?

ha! i just don't have money for one! the joke is on... me. damn.
    Yeah SMT4 is set in... the future renaissance? I don't even think I get it.

no one knows!

an early trailer specifically calls it out as 1492 of the Gregorian calendar

so people think there might be time travel or dimension warping or something to get to the apocalypse tokyo parts???
    personaqn.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    I remember on launch day for no more heroes Suda 51 had a table set up in a game shop in japan, where you could buy a copy of the game along with NMH branded toilet paper that he would autograph

And like no one showed up because come the fuck on NMH doesn't warrant a launch party

And he just had to carry all that toilet paper back out with him and throw it away
    In SMT, you end up in apocalyptic Tokyo. It is kind of the thing that happens in those games (which is why so many people were weirded out by Strange Journey). SMT is worth giving a shit about because they have interesting stories about determination, free will, order versus chaos and so on. I love their use of mythology as well, particularly Abrahamic figures. If you ain't down for spending a lot of your time in dungeons though, you should probably stay away.
    Yeah I feel like I'll keep the DLC heroes for post-story if I feel like playing more enough to get every hero. I tried plunking a level-1 down and fighting against him just for shits and giggles but the only character I have who could even damage one of those guys was Frederick, so I went oh god nope and went to bed.

Speaking of Frederick, I'm starting to feel a little bad about always putting him into my fights but he's one of the core four damn it, also he's always there to bail me out when things get close. I do try to use him as little as possible in actual battle though, because I'd much rather put experience into everyone else.

Sounds like you're using Big Fred right - pair him up with a weaker dude and have them reap the benefits of his stat bonuses and his occasional lance to the enemy's face. No real reason to remove him from your team until you get to Chapter 14 or so, when real promoted units start appearing in a big way, kids become available and you can start promoting your own units whenever.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I have trouble getting interested in non-Persona 3/4 SMT games because I find their visual styles to be quite drab, their purported difficultly to be a turnoff, and the lack of social links.

Like sometimes I see people complain about Persona 4 being a bright cheery "easy" dating sim while talking up other SMT games and I think "man this is the exact opposite way of getting me interested in playing these games".
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
    devil survivor 2 has social links
    personaqn.png
    If SMT4 is Japanese Assassin's Creed 2

that is an alright proposition to me
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
    Tracy's back which means AA5 will be amazing.

iJOanwnss9jcu.jpg
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
    In SMT, you end up in apocalyptic Tokyo. It is kind of the thing that happens in those games (which is why so many people were weirded out by Strange Journey). SMT is worth giving a shit about because they have interesting stories about determination, free will, order versus chaos and so on. I love their use of mythology as well, particularly Abrahamic figures. If you ain't down for spending a lot of your time in dungeons though, you should probably stay away.

so it's a JRPG is what you're saying

No see, I said interesting stories.
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hopefully Wright has stopped being an asshole and (AA4 spoilers)
    told Tracey and Apollo they are related.

sAJHoEp.png
    Thetheroo on
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Provided you can get through hours of random encounter fighting between the occasional plot point.
    Shin Megami Tensei is also Pokemon

except instead of evolving them you fuse them to make new pokemon
    personaqn.png
    McHoger wrote: »

Provided you can get through hours of random encounter fighting between the occasional plot point.

Word.
    -Tal wrote: »
    Shin Megami Tensei is also Pokemon

except instead of evolving them you fuse them to make new pokemon

Reminded me a lot of Dragon Warrior Monsters that way.
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I want a Call of Duty mod that replaces the dog sounds with Vinny's yelp from this week's podcast podcast
    Scudo on