Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Your boss doesn't care about your absence?

is that good or bad?
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I could say I should have tried harder in high school. And I should've cause I barely cracked 3.0.

But I'm not sure how it would have improved my education, since I still got to go to Edinburgh and will be able to walk into whatever PhD program I want whenever I get around to it.

Embrace entropy. Give your regrets over to Lord Darkseid and let his warmth free you.

/nod

I hated high school and feel as though the main thing I took from it was a curiousity in learning about stuff like global politics and history, which was started there but woefully under appreciated in most of my classes, like the religion class that only taught Christianity with a boner for Catholicism, and some Judaism and Islam, very basic. It still had enough barebones detail though to make me interested in learning about all those things as well as stuff like Shinto, Buddhism, Jainism, Taoism, etc. I went big on Buddhist psychology in grade 12.

School is important, but never let a number or a teacher tell you it's their way or the minimum wage for you; even if the alternatives may be more nebulous and harder to see, it's not impossible to find elements of institutionalized education that are valuable and elements of life experience and entrepreneurship that are just as valuable. It's important to give it a lot of thought and look for where your passion lies.

Absolutely.

I was told I would never get into college or succeed.

Now I have a master's degree.

And he's still teaching at one of the worst high schools in Florida.

The best revenge is tomahawk missiles.

fonz.jpg
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    DescAvFace.exe
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Fuck. I dropped the hairdryer while on into the toilet....

I killed the power to the bathroom and took it out by the cord... It was working when I cut the power... Do you think I can turn it off without electrocuting myself???
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Desc: Blah blah meeting a friend for lunch at Fashion Island

Desc's boss: Why don't you just take off the rest of the day after that though?

Desc: well I guess I could use 4 hours of vacation ..

Desc's boss: Dude, I don't care. Just go.

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I killed the power to the bathroom and took it out by the cord... It was working when I cut the power... Do you think I can turn it off without electrocuting myself???

is it unplugged? or is the power to it off?

then yes.
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Rip the plug out of the socket and you'll be good to turn it off.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

I get four day weekends because art school schedules are awesome.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Your boss doesn't care about your absence?

is that good or bad?

I think it's more that I'm salaried and come in early sometimes anyway, if someone comes in 5 minutes before I would leave with something they need done I just stay and do it, and Friday afternoon PST is like a total dead zone in the alcohol industry.

It's not that she doesn't care if I'm here or not, but she has the attitude that 3 hours of an early weekend is her privilege to grant if she feels like it.
    desc on
    Also she is rich and hates rules and red tape so when I talk about vacation hour usage rules I can hear her eyes glazing over from over the phone.
    also, what kind of hotel has a bathroom without safety shutoffs in their outlets.
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

then yes.

It's still plugged (it's one of those hotel dealies)
    But I turned the circuit breaker off to the bathroom (why the fuck is this in my hotel room???)

So yeah... No power... Totes safe... I am a dummy
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Also she is rich and hates rules and red tape so when I talk about vacation hour usage rules I can hear her eyes glazing over from over the phone.

Both of my bosses are like this. It's kind of nice.

They also know that I do a lot of work late at night and it usually balances out.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    oh my god I just ate the first mcdonalds chicken nuggets ive had in literally about 15 or 20 years

I want to do the food snob thing and say they're terrible and mock fat people but all I want to do is strip naked and be thrust into a pool full of mcnuggets

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

run away from work and meet me at Fashion Island and lunch is on me.
    oh my god I just ate the first mcdonalds chicken nuggets ive had in literally about 15 or 20 years

I want to do the food snob thing and say they're terrible and mock fat people but all I want to do is strip naked and be thrust into a pool full of mcnuggets

It begins.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Also I really really hate this part-time bullshit because I spend all my time on short-term support issues and I never have enough time to work on long-term infrastructural projects

it makes me really stabby
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    I am alive.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

then yes.

It's still plugged (it's one of those hotel dealies)
    But I turned the circuit breaker off to the bathroom (why the fuck is this in my hotel room???)

So yeah... No power... Totes safe... I am a dummy

there should be a button on the mount labeled 'test'

press it. don't press the reset button. turn back on the power.

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

I'll meet you at Fashion Island!

(I assume you don't mean Fashion Island in San Mateo, CA. :( )

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

Google says if I don't hit traffic I can be there in six hours.

Sounds good.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I loved chicken nuggets as a kid, but as I got older I stopped. Haven't had them in years.

Chicken selects, though... mmmmmm...
    Feral wrote: »

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

Yeah if that were the case I actually would run away from work/pretend I am being eaten by a bear and can't come in and drive there.
    Though those options are still open and if I do them I don't have to go to work.
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

They also know that I do a lot of work late at night and it usually balances out.

multiple bosses. multiple girlfriends.

you go too far
    Tiger Burning on
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
    my boss gets annoyed if I leave 15 minutes early but doesn't care if I come in 30 minutes late.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    My boss has accepted that I will only be here on time if I have a meeting.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Yes, I think this game jam is the best thing for me!

I'm kinda psyched about making a game in 9 days! :o

multiple bosses. multiple girlfriends.

you go too far

I didn't choose polyjobbery

it was thrust upon me
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Finally watching Star Trek.
    I would much rather have one job, where I'm salaried and overtime exempt, and I don't have to fill out a goddamn timecard
    Timecards are ridiculous

Yay!

I am

jealous

of this outcome.

Fashion island, Newport beach

Uh, obviously you will never be allowed to listen to punk music again
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It is Nintendo's content so they can do what they wish with it.

I think its ill-advised *but may within their rights to order them taken down.

But I can't really see how they can justify garnering revenue on other's LP. An exclusive right to the distribution of non-transformative derivative works doesn't mean you own any non-transformative derivative works. The player and his or her commentary (and any other elements) are retained by that individual. The DMCA says they can order things taken down, not that they can take over as rights holder when they make a derivative works claim.

*I've definitely bought games because of Lets Plays
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I would much rather have one job, where I'm salaried and overtime exempt, and I don't have to fill out a goddamn timecard

shit, that reminds me...
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    One day, when I have my own study, I am going to have all of my books rebound in leather.

And I mean all of my books.

Gonna have C++ For Dummies, Dogbert's Management Handbook, and Dinosaur Bob embossed on spines in gold.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Timecards are ridiculous

Me and HR have reached an agreement. I pretend I give a shit about my timesheet and she pretends that the times on it are accurate.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Wait I heard something about thrusting on Feral