Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[League of Legends] : Awakening | Latin America servers on their way

• I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Bowling skin for Syndra. Cause in ARAM she's fucking amazing.

Pool shark Syndra in a snappy suit and alternating between stripes and solids
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Aatrox launch skin needs to be a pirate version named AAAARRRRRRRRRtrox or i feed

So you're saying if that it does not happen, then nothing changes? <3 :rotate: :P

i feed or i feed
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    One of my co-worker buddies has never played a MOBA game before and he's vaguely interested in LoL after hearing about how popular it's getting. Are there any good 'complete basic intro' videos that explain how the game works? Checked around on youtube a bit but they all seem to assume you're familiar with the game and just looking for newbie tips.
    camo_sig2.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    pentakills!

janpenta.jpg

ziggspena.jpg

/loldoesn'tcount
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    Soraka hidden ARAM OP
    lol30.jpg

My only regret was that I didn't get to buy more stuff and become more hilariously op.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Nami in ARAM is hilarious. That W bounces for days and her Q is so much easier to land with the harder to see ground and people just generally being distracted by murdering each other.

Also waving when your team goes for a towerdive is magical.

E still worthless.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    One of my co-worker buddies has never played a MOBA game before and he's vaguely interested in LoL after hearing about how popular it's getting. Are there any good 'complete basic intro' videos that explain how the game works? Checked around on youtube a bit but they all seem to assume you're familiar with the game and just looking for newbie tips

So much of LoL is really muscle memory and getting an instinctive feel for what places are unsafe / safe that I don't know how much even the best introduction videos can do for you.

Does he have Skype or Vent? I think the best way to learn would be jump on skype or vent, fire up Co-Op vs bots (easy bots to start - the intermediate bots will actually just murder new players that don't have runes/masteries unlocked) and get live coaching. Don't go over here, this is why; don't go too far up lane, this is why; don't chase low HP guys, this is why; don't face check dangerous bushes, this is why; etc.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    One of my co-worker buddies has never played a MOBA game before and he's vaguely interested in LoL after hearing about how popular it's getting. Are there any good 'complete basic intro' videos that explain how the game works? Checked around on youtube a bit but they all seem to assume you're familiar with the game and just looking for newbie tips.

Just OK guides

Though the ingame ones are well enough I guess and with ARAM you can really focus on the team fighting bit and practice last hitting in private games by yourself.
    steam_sig.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    One of my co-worker buddies has never played a MOBA game before and he's vaguely interested in LoL after hearing about how popular it's getting. Are there any good 'complete basic intro' videos that explain how the game works? Checked around on youtube a bit but they all seem to assume you're familiar with the game and just looking for newbie tips

So much of LoL is really muscle memory and getting an instinctive feel for what places are unsafe / safe that I don't know how much even the best introduction videos can do for you.

Does he have Skype or Vent? I think the best way to learn would be jump on skype or vent, fire up Co-Op vs bots (easy bots to start - the intermediate bots will actually just murder new players that don't have runes/masteries unlocked) and get live coaching. Don't go over here, this is why; don't go too far up lane, this is why; don't chase low HP guys, this is why; don't face check dangerous bushes, this is why; etc.

I agree with this, and would like to add that you can start a custom game with you and your friend, and then add bots to your side and the enemy side. Essentially, 2+3v5.

Things tend to go more smoothly when newer players don't have to listen to low-level environment players.
    edited May 2013
    It was more of he wants a 5-10 minute overview of the game to see how it works and if he wants to download it all to try it out.
    Raiden333 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BurnageBurnage Just a harmless flower Registered User regular
    Anybody play much Morgana at the moment? Since the days of her being perma-banned are long gone, I'm wondering how she fares against the more common mids.
    She's not in a great place right now. Lack of mobility and sustained damage. You can still farm mid without too much difficulty but you're unlikely to be carrying many games on her back.
    sig.gif
    It was more of he wants a 5-10 minute overview of the game to see how it works and if he wants to download it all to try it out.

In that case, go to Riot's Twitch channel and find a commentated game that you like.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Tell him its like a twitch based simultaneous chess game where you only control one unit out of five on your team. Oh and the other 4 people spend the entire game arguing about how much you suck and calling you names
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Anybody play much Morgana at the moment? Since the days of her being perma-banned are long gone, I'm wondering how she fares against the more common mids.

Morgana gets hard countered by physical damage champions since they go right through her shield and don't tend to rely on cc that much. Her dps is bad and her burst mediocre. She generally was strong in the era of mids that have problems clearing a wave because she could clear then go do other things.

Now every mid can hard clear the wave fast and half are energy using physical damage assassins. This makes her kinda bad
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Tell him its like a twitch based simultaneous chess game where you only control one unit out of five on your team. Oh and the other 4 people spend the entire game arguing about how much you suck and calling you names

"It's cool bro; just download the client and click 'Play'. Everyone will be super nice and helpful if you make any mistakes. :) "

Yes, I am still angry
    So wait, there's seriously no videos that are like "League of Legends is a 5v5 competitive action/strategy game in which you work with your team and AI controlled minions to defeat the enemy team and destroy their base. This is the main gameplay map, Summoner's Rift. As you can see, it has each team's base in the top right and bottom left corners. The bases are connected by 3 'lanes' (pans the camera along the lanes) which are separated by areas called 'jungles'. Along each lane, there are towers which..." etc etc etc.

Because fuck it, if nobody else has made one, I might. Seems like a thing that should exist.
    camo_sig2.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    So wait, there's seriously no videos that are like "League of Legends is a 5v5 competitive action/strategy game in which you work with your team and AI controlled minions to defeat the enemy team and destroy their base. This is the main gameplay map, Summoner's Rift. As you can see, it has each team's base in the top right and bottom left corners. The bases are connected by 3 'lanes' (pans the camera along the lanes) which are separated by areas called 'jungles'. Along each lane, there are towers which..." etc etc etc.

Because fuck it, if nobody else has made one, I might. Seems like a thing that should exist.

There aren't any well known ones for the most part. I was going to make some but my time got taken up by other things :D
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks

I play Morgana in bronze. You don't fight the enemy mid. You ignore them, you don't get ganked because you have black shield, and then you roam and hit snares and kill their bottom lane with clutch ults.

One of the old tournament videos commentated by Phreak does that. He accurately describes it as, "A half an hour MMO," and goes into the basics of how to play.

I don't know which tournament it was off of the top of my head, but it was old. Like, Heimer was in it, that's how old it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9OackYSvw

This is a basics video done by Quill18 waaaaay back in the day.

But by all means, do up a more modern tutorial / explanation video. I think it would be handy.
    Yes, I am still angry
    Yeah, I think I have a weekend project now. Assuming I can learn how to do video editing. Been meaning to try it for awhile now.
    camo_sig2.png
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    Someone please remind me the rules for Yi's Alpha Strike placement. Is it if he doesn't kill anything, he goes back to the start, but if he kills something, he appears at the first thing hit?
    3DS Friend Code: 1547-5213-0970
    PM if you add me!
    edited May 2013
    I believe you appear next to whatever you targeted to initiat it, but if that enemy is dead you appear back where you where before initiating it.
    Rami on
    sig.gif
    Maybe I should do one because I am nice and have a good computer that can handle video software and a good mic

but i sound like a twelve year old boy going through puberty with a nose disease
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    but i sound like a twelve year old boy going through puberty with a nose disease

excuse me for a second

?u=i%20needed%20a%20name%20to%20post.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Honor system may be getting kinda silly -- I've had green ribbon for a while, and I just logged in to get popups congratulating me on yellow and blue. Aw shucks.
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Honor system may be getting kinda silly -- I've had green ribbon for a while, and I just logged in to get popups congratulating me on yellow and blue. Aw shucks.

My yellow ribbon was once a thing of majesty.

Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I honestly think they dialed back the requirements on some of the ribbons big time to see if it improves player behavior when more people have them.
    <3Steam: Jaef -- PSN: Jaef -- League of Legends: Jaef -- League VoDs -- League Live Stream
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    There really are some games you can't carry.

Their jungle camped me top to prevent me from farming and getting my tear charged on khazix and what do my other lanes do? Die. Repeatedly.

Just over and over again for no reason.
    newsig.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    Man, support lux is really good and useful to the team. Having that root there and the slow and the shields and all is super, super useful. Plus being able to make the other team run like headless chickens by hitting r is great.

But man Support Lux is so incredibly unsatisfying to play.

Nail DAT COMBO and like.... maybe the ADC is kind of unhappy. At least it's showy for an initiate, but man.

I think shining an actual laser pointer at my screen would feel more effective.
    JAEF wrote: »
    I honestly think they dialed back the requirements on some of the ribbons big time to see if it improves player behavior when more people have them.

I had a yellow ribbon back when literally no one had them, back in the period after people were giving out honor because of the novelty but before they fiddled with the numbers

People treated me with so much respect in lobbies omg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As someone mentioned earlier, I still think Sivhd is the best teacher. Not because you'll learn to dominate, but you will learn to just have fun with what you're doing.

Also his vlogs are still magical. Especially the warding and raging ones.
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular

I play Morgana in bronze. You don't fight the enemy mid. You ignore them, you don't get ganked because you have black shield, and then you roam and hit snares and kill their bottom lane with clutch ults.

Morgana pushed me over top at the end of season 2 to get gold. Don't necessarily disagree with what Goumindong said about her, but I think maybe he's painting too negative of a picture. I usually rush hourglass, and win games with her by making aggressive plays in other lanes and the jungle. Hell, the game where I actually got gold I lost to a gragas by about 80 cs, but it didn't matter because I had 11 fucking kills and 13 assists or something like that. BIG NUMBERS THOUGH
    Man I love it when players get upset because the game is not off to a good start and then start suicidally charging into enemy towers while calling everyone scrubs in chat.

Oh, wait.

Actually I don't love that.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I call this one Operation Corpse Toss
    We simply fling our corpses at the enemies until they cannot see us under the piles of bodies and stealthily destroy their nexus. They only took two towers, even with that K/D

ckx0sm9.jpg
    JAEF on
    <3Steam: Jaef -- PSN: Jaef -- League of Legends: Jaef -- League VoDs -- League Live Stream
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    So, I'm curious while we're on the subject of new players. Has anyone figured out why new players always run under towers without noticing?

I did it, my friends did it.

I'm currently teaching someone DOTA and they died to turrets five times in a match.

I just, I don't understand why everyone is so incapable of figuring it out fast. I swear it's like a fly trap.