Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[League of Legends] : Awakening | Latin America servers on their way

• CoinageCoinage Registered User regular
    On just that map? Or have you just destroyed 8 champions for the sake of ARAM?

But is it exactly 50% for all of them? Or do we need to test it? And if that's the case, well, where does that put resources that should be going towards the Heimer fix, for example?

ARAM balance is goosery. Just because they did you a favor and put it in MM doesn't mean they should now ruin the entire rest of the game by tilting at the windmill that is balance for a mode designed to be uncompetitive from the foundation up.

Ask Talith if he thinks Dominion needs more love. That's a mode intended to use actual player skill and have an actual competitive purpose, and we could spend the same time there instead.
    Yes, just for ARAM (which I hardly ever play, BTW), and no you don't need to test it. Nobody is asking for actual balance, I think it's hardly unreasonable to wish that AP Yi and Nidalee were not completely unbearable. That's all.
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    make his e spirit breaker's q
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Nobody is asking for balance.

Is whining for balance changes to champions for a map.

Really dude?

And yes, yes, do that with Cow, charge across the map. WRECKING TIME.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Spiritual Cow. This is the theme I want Alistar to follow. Following your inner udder.
  • KayKay Registered User regular
    why jaef

why would you do that
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 Registered User regular
    a
    JAEF wrote: »
    The only problem is that the MMR system can't tell the difference between a legitimately very good player and a person who just happens to be on a streak.

If you win 10 in a row then immediately lose 10 in a row. Congratulations you're promoted even though on average you won every other game.

If you win one then lose one 10 times in a row. No promotion for you.

That isn't exactly a fair measurement but it is an entirely possible outcome with the system in place.
    There's a big difference between 10W->10L and WLWLWLWL. When you win 10 in a row, games 5-10 are going to have you playing against much higher MMR players. You winning those games proves that you can play with the big boys. You might start at 1400 but at the end of your streak you're playing against 1800s. Whereas with win/loss you're going to be playing roughly the same MMR players you always have been and thus receive no particular reward for it.

If you don't look at all aspects of the system it can seem unfair or arbitrary, sure. But everything works together, you can't look at one aspect individually without the others and call it an issue.

Well, I want to caveat this a bit that unless you are in your placement matches, you don't gain anything like 400 Elo in 10 games. More like, IME, 150.
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    AP Yi is bullshit and needs to be nerfed into the ground.

eh, can be dealt with.
    on sr yeah

i'm still waiting for an aram queue that permabans ap yi along with lux, xerath, nidalee, soraka, sona, etc

Complaining about ARAM balance is pure goosery. All random, all mid is not intended to be balanced, at all. Hence why you get a random champion, and they exclude all the other things that can affect champ balance like jungles, map objectives, laning phase, etc.

i don't want them to balance the champs around aram

i just fantasize about an aram queue where the hideously unbalanced champs are disabled so you don't end up in a game that is literally impossible to win without the other team being comically inept

i don't think that is an especially unreasonable wish
    steam_sig.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Kay wrote: »
    why jaef

why would you do that
    Ours is not to wonder why

Ours is but to milk and die
    JAEF on
    <3Steam: Jaef -- PSN: Jaef -- League of Legends: Jaef -- League VoDs -- League Live Stream
    Kay wrote: »
    why jaef

why would you do that
    Ours is not to wonder why

Ours is but to milk and die
    but it has chest mammaries and then udders and whyyyyyy

Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Catching-up on the LCS videos...

Holy shit, nono is a douchebag. Like, really, you're going to ragequit in game 1 of a best of 5, because you didn't do well? Really? Even the new teams don't rage when things don't go well - Hell, even fucking Ocelot doesn't ragequit.

Yeah, you got stomped. So figure out what happened and tie up the series.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

i just fantasize about an aram queue where the hideously unbalanced champs are disabled so you don't end up in a game that is literally impossible to win without the other team being comically inept

All of the listed champs are beatable. They might be top tier, but you're not allowed to play an all random mode and complain about the enemy team getting too many top tier champs and your team too few.

I had a similar problem with Smash Bros back in the day. I kept getting, some days, Dedede, and never, for example, Lucario. But then I had an epiphany: "If I want to play a specific character instead of whatever the RNG gives me, I should pick a specific character," and that has served me well ever since.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think this reads way more dickishly than I intended. If so, it's not meant that way at all. I really think worrying about ARAM outcomes is largely going to end in tears, because it's always going to have problems if you're looking for a well balanced match. There's no promise you won't get your least favorite champ when you have 0 rerolls / no trades, or the enemy team won't get your least favorite champ to play against, whatever that happens to be at the time / meta.
    programjunkie on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Whining about aram balance is stupid.

It's random.
    SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    RE: AP Yi

He's not broken or anything, but yeah, he feels incredibly cheesy because he has match-ups that are absurdly lopsided.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So someone with Crs in their name (Crs Lycanstouch to be exact.) was kinda being a douche in ARAM, cause winning an ARAM is so badass, anyway I just had to remind him that Curse is currently in Curse Place... I mean 4th place NA.

Felt like the right thing to do.
    Mr_Sunshine1079.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Riot reworks Alistar to be Earthshaker.

Suddenly team Alishaker, Annivia, Trundle, Jarvan, Tristana/Kog'Maw (superior range to shoot from beyond walls).
    9e0txHT.gif
    Like most dota heroes, earthshaker would be so broken in LoL. Giant line stun which also blocks movement, and burst damage.

Although no blink dagger would make his kit a lot weaker I guess.
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Like most dota heroes, earthshaker would be so broken in LoL. Giant line stun which also blocks movement, and burst damage.

Although no blink dagger would make his kit a lot weaker I guess.

Nah, you just use him to counter dive teams.

Oh ccome on guys, lets all huddle around my carry for a nice group therapy session.

Then the screen turns yellow and everyone dies. Penta kill, game done.
  • ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I know it's a few pages back and I don't want to bring up discussions people hate talking about. But I hear a lot about these promotion series and the lack of LP you get for winning and the crushing amount you lose for a loss. It seems like the general consensus is that you'll move up when you're ready and you'll stay in bronze/silver/gold when you're not ready. @DasUberEdward aluded to the fact that when he played SF competitively, he could understand when he was outmatched, but in a team based game like LOL, how do you know when you're not ready? Does the system align you with 9 similarly skilled players and then you as the lone variable can decide whether or not your team wins? I doubt it. And even moreso, if you're playing support or jungler (who i consider a "support") and you're doing absurdly well it doesn't guarantee a win. Do they take into account your individual stats or just whether or not you lost.

I know over time the cream rises to the top and you should focus on your own game to improve it. But wouldn't it be possible to be stuck in the lower tiers forever until you found yourself on a team that didn't go full retard, or less moronical (t-thunder).

I'm only lvl 22 and taking my sweet ass time to get to 30. But I main jungle and feel like sometimes even when i'm having a sick game my team can lose and lose badly. I'm hoping that once i get to ranked play the playing field will even out and there will be less 'smurfs' or 'newbies' and more even skilled players. Maybe I should just request a game in the Penny Arcade channel and see where my skillset falls cause it seems like you guys really know your stuff!

Oh and I'm jumping full on board with the FOTM Rammus jungle. Slow clear but man do ADCs hate him late game...sonic speedball for the win!
    Expigator on
    Yes, you can carry, from any position.

If you ever need it proven that a high skilled player can do as they want and get a win go make a smurf and stop dudes with AP soraka.

Support definitely requires a bit of luck with the carry to get it's funk on but trust me, people who are good tend to rise, even if cat herding proves impossible.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    a
    The only problem is that the MMR system can't tell the difference between a legitimately very good player and a person who just happens to be on a streak.

If you win 10 in a row then immediately lose 10 in a row. Congratulations you're promoted even though on average you won every other game.

If you win one then lose one 10 times in a row. No promotion for you.

That isn't exactly a fair measurement but it is an entirely possible outcome with the system in place.
    There's a big difference between 10W->10L and WLWLWLWL. When you win 10 in a row, games 5-10 are going to have you playing against much higher MMR players. You winning those games proves that you can play with the big boys. You might start at 1400 but at the end of your streak you're playing against 1800s. Whereas with win/loss you're going to be playing roughly the same MMR players you always have been and thus receive no particular reward for it.

If you don't look at all aspects of the system it can seem unfair or arbitrary, sure. But everything works together, you can't look at one aspect individually without the others and call it an issue.

Well, I want to caveat this a bit that unless you are in your placement matches, you don't gain anything like 400 Elo in 10 games. More like, IME, 150.
    Stragint wrote: »
    AP Yi is bullshit and needs to be nerfed into the ground.

eh, can be dealt with.
    on sr yeah

i'm still waiting for an aram queue that permabans ap yi along with lux, xerath, nidalee, soraka, sona, etc

Complaining about ARAM balance is pure goosery. All random, all mid is not intended to be balanced, at all. Hence why you get a random champion, and they exclude all the other things that can affect champ balance like jungles, map objectives, laning phase, etc.

what if they put in a draft queue for ARAM

honestly though its ARAM. randomness simply makes so even if sometimes you get op champs you team comp can make it moot, and vice versa for the enemy team.
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
  • MiniwolfMiniwolf Registered User regular
    I need to play Yorick more. I met someone in ranked last night who mained support and we duo'ed a few games together. The first one, their top picked Elise early on. (MWAHAHAHAHA). I was last pick and I was like ' I could go kha'zix, but its not a great match up ooooor I could pick Yorick and dunk on her. I decided to take a page out of Hotshots book, except with deep jungle wards. I just pushed her out of lane and pushed towers all day. I drew their team up here 3 or 4 times while my team just pushed to the inhib. I didn't really participate in team fights all all.
    League Of Legends: Wolfmini
    Q98DBY0.png
    WolfMini's LOL Stream check.php?c=wolfmini
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

If you ever need it proven that a high skilled player can do as they want and get a win go make a smurf and stop dudes with AP soraka.

Support definitely requires a bit of luck with the carry to get it's funk on but trust me, people who are good tend to rise, even if cat herding proves impossible.

can doesn't equate to "will every time", though.
    Some games you just can't win.
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Playing the right champions as support means you can usually herd your team to victory. Good warding, good shotcalling, and straight outplaying people in lane makes a huge difference. And overall, if you deserve to advance you will.
    edited May 2013

can doesn't equate to "will every time", though.
    Some games you just can't win.

Except if you're LCS level player named Wildturtle who makes a smurf and gets its to challanger tier in 52 games. Or RobertXLee who did it in 48 games. :P

I am messing with you. You are correct at our level you're not going to win every game. I mean even if you look at some of the people who went from gold to diamond they have a 60-65% win rate. Its about winning more then you lose and winning the games that count in order to advance. However really lost games are the best games to review, because you can look at what you could have done to win that.
    Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.png
    You got this dude.
    Q98DBY0.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Enigma435 wrote: »
    I suspect the blue build is pretty garbage on everyone short of ezreal because nobody else has a short cooldown 1100 range ability that applies all of the effects into one package (sheen proc, BORK, muramana, and lizard). It would be fairly garbage on corki as you aren't getting BORK or muramana procs on any of your abilities and your missiles while spammable are going to do very little compared to an ezreal Q due to being magic dmg. On top of that his passive is getting little help from the low AD of the build leaving you with just a guy throwing missiles around doing not much and then fairly sub par auto attack damage.

Everything you said is true, but the build also synergizes perfectly with Ezreal because it's a 40% CDR build and with that much CDR along with the fact that his Q basically becomes his auto attack and lowers his other CDs by 1 second each time it hits, it makes his E like Kassadin's R but without the scaling mana cost. Pretty much everything about his kit synergizes perfectly with the build.
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Spirit of the Lizard Elder is pretty amazing on Zed!

...Is there any AD person that item is not amazing on?

Elder Lizard is crazy gold efficient is the thing, but I wouldn't build it on Zed. You get all of the things that it has that he wants from a brutallizer, leave the hp/5 and mp/5 and save money that can go towards a BT, BotRK, LW, or other better items. The true damage proc isn't useless, but it doesn't synergize with his kit. True damage dealt during his ult isn't even applied on the explosion.
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Enigma435 wrote: »
    I suspect the blue build is pretty garbage on everyone short of ezreal because nobody else has a short cooldown 1100 range ability that applies all of the effects into one package (sheen proc, BORK, muramana, and lizard). It would be fairly garbage on corki as you aren't getting BORK or muramana procs on any of your abilities and your missiles while spammable are going to do very little compared to an ezreal Q due to being magic dmg. On top of that his passive is getting little help from the low AD of the build leaving you with just a guy throwing missiles around doing not much and then fairly sub par auto attack damage.

Everything you said is true, but the build also synergizes perfectly with Ezreal because it's a 40% CDR build and with that much CDR along with the fact that his Q basically becomes his auto attack and lowers his other CDs by 1 second each time it hits, it makes his E like Kassadin's R but without the scaling mana cost. Pretty much everything about his kit synergizes perfectly with the build.

it's the douchiest of douchbag builds.
    even if the bruisers catch up to you, you have that fricken aoe slow.
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    On just that map? Or have you just destroyed 8 champions for the sake of ARAM?

But is it exactly 50% for all of them? Or do we need to test it? And if that's the case, well, where does that put resources that should be going towards the Heimer fix, for example?

ARAM balance is goosery. Just because they did you a favor and put it in MM doesn't mean they should now ruin the entire rest of the game by tilting at the windmill that is balance for a mode designed to be uncompetitive from the foundation up.

Ask Talith if he thinks Dominion needs more love. That's a mode intended to use actual player skill and have an actual competitive purpose, and we could spend the same time there instead.
    Yes, just for ARAM (which I hardly ever play, BTW), and no you don't need to test it. Nobody is asking for actual balance, I think it's hardly unreasonable to wish that AP Yi and Nidalee were not completely unbearable. That's all.

Some champs just are not balanced on some maps but given ARAM is random champion picks and the sheer amount of champions out there it really is not overall that big of a deal. Yi has been pretty weak on traditional maps for a long time so he has one map he super shines on I am not that concerned.

As for nidalee pretty much anybody with consistant poke is super annoying on the one lane map so I don't find her any more unbearable than any of the other mega poke champs. If she is a problem build a banshees veil and dodge around a bit she should not be landing spears on one target so often as to get many hits when the shield from the veil is not active.

They've flat out said rolling an OP ARAM champ is one of the highs of playing the mode that they like. Games are intentionally able to be lop-sided, since the entire purpose is to let the dice have a heavy hand in deciding your fate that game.

If you are so inclined you can create custom lobbies for HA draft mode that allows you to ban and pick the champions you want. I've played a ton of games this way and it can be a really fun experience as well.
    9e0txHT.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't understand poppy at all. I died so much. So, so much.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't understand poppy at all. I died so much. So, so much.

You are doing it wrong then. Really just watch he often plays on his spamhappy account in which he just plays poppy.
    Q98DBY0.png
    Are you playing Poppy on SR? She isn't exactly supposed to work there anymore. Morello has stated that if Poppy ever saw any actual play they would nerf her until people stopped playing her. She is basically old stealth Eve levels of "never let it be viable until we can get to fixing it one day".

She is still perfectly playable on Dom though so if you want to get that up-against-a-wall-prison-rape gameplay in that's where you can do it.
    9e0txHT.gif
    But you can only use it to poop if you have previously grazed. And it removes the bushes you eat, temporarily.

You can store up to 3 poop charges, not unlike Teemo's mushrooms.
    edited May 2013
    ok here's how you fix alistar's e

his new e is 'graze'

if he is in a bush he can stop and get a bunch of health back

it also has an active where he poops in lane and it slows anyone who steps in it

riot pls

I'd rather it be something like 'Bull Rush'

Passive: Alistar gains 2/3/4/5% movespeed (+0.1 AP)

Active: Alistar stands still and charges his speed after 3/2.5/2/1.5 seconds gains 40% movespeed for 4 seconds

This way you give him an ability to initiate using rammus style speed with out having to combo. Allowing him to initiate and still be able to knock people back as well as catch fleeing people.
    Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.png
    edited May 2013
    alistar, the sonic the head chog
    Kay on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Mad Cow Disease

The more damage alistar takes, the more damage his activated E does storing damage and doing damage on activation
    steam_sig.png