Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    running through FF VIII again i'm amazed at how much easier i'm finding it, bosses i remember repeatedly kicking my ass are giving me no trouble at all now

as much as i would like to think it;s just because i am now x10 more leet at gaming than my 12 year old self it probably has a lot more to do with the fact 12 year old me found the junction tutorials absolutly incomprehensible

if you understand how they work though it makes the game a little take-the-piss-easy

like, "all my chars have HP in excess of 2000 and the boss can only deal damage of 160 at a time assuming i don't use protect spells" easy

i think the difficulty curve will catch up to me eventually though and i'm looking forward to it, it's another FF i never completed because of a near end game boss i couldnt get past because i never learned how any of the junction stuff worked...

I feel like I should retry FFX because 15-year-old me didn't understand the whole ...sphere system thing (I forgot what it's called), so maybe I'll get it now.

I'm betting I won't but it's worth a shot.

the sphere grid ain't hard

it gives you the illusion of a lot of choice and complexity but in reality unless you find craploads of key spheres lying around (i never do) you aren't going to have that many paths to choose from

it's mostly a linear progession for each char with a handfull of forks in the road

That's why you play the International version if you can get a hold of it. Open Sphere Grid is best Sphere Grid.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm having the same thing in FFVI. Nothing is any trouble.

Everything dies to the same recipe too: Celes, use runic. Edgar use drill, Sabin use aurabolt, Locke, you stand there. Don't hurt yourself.

I knew this when I played it the first time

I also discovered vanish/doom

I did too, I just didn't use runic as constantly.

I also knew of vanish/doom my first time through.

Atma: easiest huge boss ever. Gonna beat the game without using that trick this time.

I'm mostly just amused that Locke is so useless. I was fighting a boss somewhere in the magitek facility (can't remember which one, I think it was Shiva) where they had nothing to steal and striking it caused it to retort with a spell. So Locke was literally useless. It was best to have him hang out doing nothing while Celes absorbed the attacks and Sabin and Edgar destroyed the boss.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    catching up on the thread

Thac0 - believe it or not, thac0 was actually considered a huge improvement over the previous system, which involved looking up every attack roll on a table.

The Great Gatsby - is a rad book but you need to read it when you're not a stupid fucking teenager

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

dude if u need to update me on anything related to mage

remember that until 6 i will be at work and can't access the forams

gmail me
    sig.gif
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @echo @tehsloth I get a similar error...

no such file to load -- bundler.

Here is the boot.rb file:
    require 'rubygems'

# Set up gems listed in the Gemfile.
    ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'] ||= File.expand_path('../../Gemfile', __FILE__)

require 'bundler' if File.exists?(ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'])
    bundler.setup :default

Before the change Echo suggested, it looked like this:
    require 'rubygems'

# Set up gems listed in the Gemfile.
    ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'] ||= File.expand_path('../../Gemfile', __FILE__)

require 'bundler/setup' if File.exists?(ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'])

Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    Hullo, [chat]

Today I am listening to the new Daft Punk album. It's... very confused.

Everything dies to the same recipe too: Celes, use runic. Edgar use drill, Sabin use aurabolt, Locke, you stand there. Don't hurt yourself.

Even Lil' Houn never found FF6 hard; I honestly don't think it's supposed to be. Hell, I remember my C party in the final area was levels 30-20 and still managed to squeak through. And I think it was, like, Strago, Gau, and Umaro.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular

Thac0 - believe it or not, thac0 was actually considered a huge improvement over the previous system, which involved looking up every attack roll on a table.

The Great Gatsby - is a rad book but you need to read it when you're not a stupid fucking teenager

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

accurate assessment

though some flappers wanted the V
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    the secret to FF8 so far is

>Learn HP-J
    >Junction "Life" magic to HP
    >Enjoy your 70% HP boost

it's a little game breaking since the games makers can't assume everyone has done that, so all the fights are scaled to a difficulty that assumes you have 70% less health than you actually do
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Also, on ff6, after you have relm go to the veldt, have gau jump, wait a few fights and have your combat set up so everyone has their actions in and relm will use sketch after you kill all the monsters. If gau comes back from jumping relm will sketch him and the game will get MESSED UP. You can get all sorts of weird sprite glitches or 256 of every item in the game or wipe the data on your cart.
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    Religious high school reading lists are often hilarious, but having The Fountainhead on there makes me think the English department was run by a frustrated superior being.
    kaleedity wrote: »

ffvi is shit easy if you abuse like, anything. I've played through a hack to adjust the difficulty and I mostly enjoyed it, except some of the normal mobs too spongy and some of the boss fights made me actually glad I had bought 60 phoenix downs.

Yeah I mostly just decided not to exploit any glitches or bugs. So it should be pretty easy with like, maybe two exceptions.
    Houn wrote: »

Even Lil' Houn never found FF6 hard; I honestly don't think it's supposed to be. Hell, I remember my C party in the final area was levels 30-20 and still managed to squeak through. And I think it was, like, Strago, Gau, and Umaro.

Yeah it's not a hard game. Still love it though.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    running through FF VIII again i'm amazed at how much easier i'm finding it, bosses i remember repeatedly kicking my ass are giving me no trouble at all now

as much as i would like to think it;s just because i am now x10 more leet at gaming than my 12 year old self it probably has a lot more to do with the fact 12 year old me found the junction tutorials absolutly incomprehensible

if you understand how they work though it makes the game a little take-the-piss-easy

like, "all my chars have HP in excess of 2000 and the boss can only deal damage of 160 at a time assuming i don't use protect spells" easy

i think the difficulty curve will catch up to me eventually though and i'm looking forward to it, it's another FF i never completed because of a near end game boss i couldnt get past because i never learned how any of the junction stuff worked...

I feel like I should retry FFX because 15-year-old me didn't understand the whole ...sphere system thing (I forgot what it's called), so maybe I'll get it now.

it gives you the illusion of a lot of choice and complexity but in reality unless you find craploads of key spheres lying around (i never do) you aren't going to have that many paths to choose from

it's mostly a linear progession for each char with a handfull of forks in the road

Well, it seemed difficult at the time. I asked my then-boyfriend to help me figure it out and he was all "What are you, stupid?" Which

1. He was my first boyfriend so it was extra ouch-y

2. Damn son, I asked you for help not to belittle me.

But whatever, I hope his boyfriend cheats on him.

/bitter
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i had to read atlas shrugged in high school

also the bible, protocols of the elders of zion, and the anarchist's cookbook
    Per3th.jpg
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

>Learn HP-J
    >Enjoy your 70% HP boost

it's a little game breaking since the games makers can't assume everyone has done that, so all the fights are scaled to a difficulty that assumes you have 70% less health than you actually do
    The secret to FF8.

Play the card game a shit ton, its actually fun. So do it.

Use the cards to get the best sword in the game before going on your first mission.

Junction your best spell to str. Limit break everything.

Later. Junction to speed. Limit break everything multiple times before they get to move.

Use meltdown. It lowers physical def to 1.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Let me put it this way.

It won't.

Also if you really want to break it, use diablos no-exp.

ohhhh

what does that do?
    Cinders wrote: »
    FF8 is extremely easy if you don't level up. Ever.

why? does it scale enemies strength to your level?

FF games dont usually do that do they?
    Enemies become more difficult the more levels you have.

Whereas your characters scale almost completely off the things you have junctioned.
    So levelling only makes the game harder.

PS every time a enemy has a new spell. draw 100 of it. Cerebus notably has triple. Which when junctioned to your speed gives you 5-6 turns for every one of theirs.

whelp

i'm glad someone told me this, so basically do not grind

at all

i like that

i did also notice that the more of a spell you have the higher a stats boost you get for junctioning it to a stat
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

I am perhaps sensing a bit of snark in this post, but I'm not sure.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

accurate assessment

Weimar Berlin *gavel*
  • MimMim Registered User regular

>Learn HP-J
    >Enjoy your 70% HP boost

The secret to FF8.

Play the card game a shit ton, its actually fun. So do it.

Use the cards to get the best sword in the game before going on your first mission.

Junction your best spell to str. Limit break everything.

Later. Junction to speed. Limit break everything multiple times before they get to move.

Use meltdown. It lowers physical def to 1.

NO ONE AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT*

* I would've used a gif there, but I'm trying to lay off of them and just try to become naturally witty. So far, it's hard
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    The card game is fun until random spreads across the planet.
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Also, on ff6, after you have relm go to the veldt, have gau jump, wait a few fights and have your combat set up so everyone has their actions in and relm will use sketch after you kill all the monsters. If gau comes back from jumping relm will sketch him and the game will get MESSED UP. You can get all sorts of weird sprite glitches or 256 of every item in the game or wipe the data on your cart.

You can do this with a vanished enemy too. It has to do with a dangling pointer, if I recall correctly. Basically the game tries to sketch it but because of bad programming it ends up executing code at memory addresses that don't hold code and are determined by whatever's gone on up to that point.

So it can give you 256 of everything or it can wipe your save games or turn people into random shit. I had it happen to me on the Floating Continent once, Relm sketched and a ninja vanished immediately prior to it.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    FFVIII made it a bad idea to cast magic, which is dumb.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

Let me put it this way.

It won't.

ohhhh

what does that do?

Whereas your characters scale almost completely off the things you have junctioned.

PS every time a enemy has a new spell. draw 100 of it. Cerebus notably has triple. Which when junctioned to your speed gives you 5-6 turns for every one of theirs.

whelp

at all

i like that

i did also notice that the more of a spell you have the higher a stats boost you get for junctioning it to a stat

Oh no. You misunderstand. You'll be grinding, a lot. Just not levels. Have fun drawing magic!

(Maybe that was a little too much snark.)
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    FFVIII made it a bad idea to cast magic, which is dumb.

No it didn't.

It made you divide your spells between offensive abilities and stat raisers.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

It's fairly linear for most of the game, but then opens up later. The first role per character is pretty concrete, after that it's up to you. It really opens up when you start dealing with the Collisseum, that's where you get all those spheres that let you fill in the empty nodes.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

[...]
    [...]

Agreed wholeheartedly. Catcher in the Rye is another one of those books I think people should wait to read until they're not in high school. I remember thinking that Holden Caulfield was on to something although entirely unoriginal in his recognition that everyone's a great big phony. Then I read it as an adult and realized, "wait, no, he's just a gigantic deluded assclown."
    Flappers - want the D

Go on.

SammyF on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular

homeschooling can be tough
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    maybe I'm a dumb and assumed that if I could run the "bundle install' command, that 'bundler' was an installed gem?

Just did gem install bundler and it looks like maybe it wasn't installed... I'm nto sure what gem reports if you try to do gem install on a package you already have.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    i had to read excerpts from the bible and i went to a public school that wasn't in the south! #lifesux
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I really liked FFXII's system. Felt like I really had a choice.
    edited May 2013

Well, it seemed difficult at the time. I asked my then-boyfriend to help me figure it out and he was all "What are you, stupid?" Which

1. He was my first boyfriend so it was extra ouch-y

2. Damn son, I asked you for help not to belittle me.

But whatever, I hope his boyfriend cheats on him.
    /bitter

oh don't get me wrong i'm not judging you at all

the first few times i played FFX i was utterly confused by it and sort of just winged it and guessed my way through, then i noticed that there wasn't actually a lot of choices for me to make in there and the charicters always ended up more or less the same

like i said it's a system that gives the illusion of complexity but actually isn't mostly FFX is just a grind to get as many sphere levels as you can to get decently far along the path

Bolded: Wut?
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i can't wait until i can belittle my girlfriend about video games

oh my god, woman

can't you tell the difference between an additive and multiplicative bonus
    Per3th.jpg
    I think the only particularly religious thing I had to read in high school was sinners in the hands of an angry god.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

dude if u need to update me on anything related to mage

remember that until 6 i will be at work and can't access the forams

gmail me

@powerpuppies will do yo

as far as I know right now we are on like uhh

like something that rhymes with on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

[...]
    [...]

Agreed wholeheartedly. Catcher in the Rye is another one of those books I think people should wait to read until they're not in high school. I remember thinking that Holden Caulfield was on to something although entirely unoriginal in his recognition that everyone's a great big phony. Then I read it as an adult and realized, "wait, no, he's just a gigantic deluded assclown."
    Flappers - want the D

Go on.

no, you've just read the book at the wrong time. Both times, it seems.
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

accurate assessment

Some wanted the VD
    vspgsp.jpg
    P10 wrote: »
    i had to read excerpts from the bible and i went to a public school that wasn't in the south! #lifesux

I feel as though the bible in and of itself is worth a read devoid of all the religious contexts surrounding it.

oh my god, woman

do you even know what thac0 is?!

oh my god, woman

You call that a barrel roll? That's barely an Aileron roll!

GET OUT OF MY SIGHT
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    OUT

FOR

DELIVERY

skippydumptruck Hey! How'd your wife's interviews go?

@visiblehowl

had 3 in pdx, 2 in chi

pdx ended up being too cheap, so I think job's out of the running

chi hasn't called back so we're guessing that's no go too

maybe stuck in tx for the summer : (

Let me put it this way.

It won't.

ohhhh

what does that do?

whelp

at all

i like that

Oh no. You misunderstand. You'll be grinding, a lot. Just not levels. Have fun drawing magic!

(Maybe that was a little too much snark.)

oh don't worry

i got that already -_-
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.