Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I would give up most superfluous bits of my body to avoid cancer treatment

if I had to give up something like a limb I'd have to think long and hard about it

I would give my left nut to not have to go through chemo

Literally
    vspgsp.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    There's also the sense in which being a beautiful famous actress who gets a mastectomy will positively affect the outlook of women who are going to have to go through it themselves and feel immensely self-conscious about it.

I'm not following this logic. Making any sort of physical change to yourself can make you feel extremely self-conscious. Making a physical change that involves the surgical removal of a physical part of your body is going to have a pretty extreme effect on most folk regardless of whether they share that experience with a famous actress.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    I mean this is basically the same as the story about the Mayan pyramid in Belize being broken up for gravel.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah but breast cancer has a ~90% survival rate if found early. So she has a ~90% chance of getting a disease with a ~90% survival rate. Instead of getting increased screening and treating the potential cancer, she just had them cut off (which also would have been an option upon diagnosis). If I had a 90% chance of getting nose cancer with a similar survival rate, I'm not going to cut it off just in case.

Yeah, but the treatment's effect on the body is pretty fucking brutal.

Like, cancer treatment isn't just "take this pill twice a day and it's cured".

Neither is a double mastectomy. A lot of cancer treatment can be rough (but not always, it all depends) but a double mastectomy would be among the more extreme treatments if you actually had breast cancer, and usually requires hormone therapy and the like.

I get her mom died of cancer (ovarian not breast) in her 50s. A parent dying of cancer sucks. My father died of cancer last year at a similar age to what Jolie would have been and it sucks. But that doesn't mean I considered cutting my liver out. My family also has a history of colon cancer so we have to do the colonoscopy thing earlier which sucks but is better than ... well I guess you can't cut out your colon so much.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to do it. Its just ... wow I would not have made that choice
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Dude.

I'm not an expert on breast cancer. But doesn't this seem like overkill?

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme

Unless you are 87% likely and then it's dumb not to.

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.

if she hasn't already she'll get implants

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.

oh fully

can't imagine how gutted i'd be if i had to lose my nuts or something

though admittedly that seems a lot worse than a mastectomy

God I want to input on this as someone who can actually compare the two, but that also puts me in a super biased position, so...

I dunno. I think the thing that'd bug me about a mastectomy in an of itself (well, besides all the other stuff) would be that it's something that's super visible, especially to oneself. Like testicles... I dunno about you but I forget they're there unless they get whacked or something. Breasts I am constantly aware of.

So yeah, I dunno. Either way sucks but it's a different suck with different reasons.

well to my mind balls and boobs are apples and oranges, the direct female comparision is ovaries obviously

you lose your boobs it has the regular suck of losing any body part, but with the silver lining that you can have the form cosmeticly replaced if not the function and no one will know until they get a close enough look at them to see surgery scars

with balls, thats a very very major part of what it is to be a man, like we were talking about yesterday, without them your body starts thinking it's a woman

there would be deep deep psycological tramua involved in losing your biological manhood for a cis-gendered male
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    There's also the sense in which being a beautiful famous actress who gets a mastectomy will positively affect the outlook of women who are going to have to go through it themselves and feel immensely self-conscious about it.

I'm not following this logic. Making any sort of physical change to yourself can make you feel extremely self-conscious. Making a physical change that involves the surgical removal of a physical part of your body is going to have a pretty extreme effect on most folk regardless of whether they share that experience with a famous actress.

Yeah but I mean...

It's the difference between being terrified and being terrified and alone. Knowing someone else has gone through similar stuff, and having an actual concrete example instead of abstract knowledge, can make a huge difference in how someone processes such a thing.

Of course it is. That doesn't mean people can't find at least some small amount of courage in the actions of role model.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I would definitely cut off my nose and then go as skeletor for Halloween every year

wow this is inappropriate as hell dude

you could go as lord voldemort every second year.

The Phantom of the Opera every third year.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    After watching my brother go through cancer in his bones and in his brain, and giving up bone marrow for him... Yeah, I'd lop my tits off. No hesitation. It'd be sad, but not as sad as the alternative.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Yeah but I mean...

It's the difference between being terrified and being terrified and alone. Knowing someone else has gone through similar stuff, and having an actual concrete example instead of abstract knowledge, can make a huge difference in how someone processes such a thing.

Good point, I hadn't considered that.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Skippy it was her boobs. They didn't belong to her they were a national treasure.

She's 37. I'm sure she can afford some great plastic surgery but the timer was counting down on national treasure status there.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Man, Oreo cookies are the best cookies
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Dude.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.

oh fully

God I want to input on this as someone who can actually compare the two, but that also puts me in a super biased position, so...

I dunno. I think the thing that'd bug me about a mastectomy in an of itself (well, besides all the other stuff) would be that it's something that's super visible, especially to oneself. Like testicles... I dunno about you but I forget they're there unless they get whacked or something. Breasts I am constantly aware of.

So yeah, I dunno. Either way sucks but it's a different suck with different reasons.

well to my mind balls and boobs are apples and oranges, the direct female comparision is ovaries obviously

you lose your boobs it has the regular suck of losing any body part, but with the silver lining that you can have the form cosmeticly replaced if not the function and no one will know until they get a close enough look at them to see surgery scars

with balls, thats a very very major part of what it is to be a man, like we were talking about yesterday, without them your body starts thinking it's a woman

there would be deep deep psycological tramua involved in losing your biological manhood for a cis-gendered male

Yeah but you have to put up with everyone everywhere calling them fake, not real, often how they're inferior, etc.

I think breasts are kinda inseparable from femininity, actually. Like in the cultural consciousness. Maybe not as much as testes, but the link is there.

I dunno. Again, realize that I obviously have much more attachment to one than the other, but I don't think the psychological impact of breast loss is very low at all.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure how masectomies work.

Can she stick her decapitated boobs in a museum?
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    catching up on the thread

Thac0 - believe it or not, thac0 was actually considered a huge improvement over the previous system, which involved looking up every attack roll on a table.

The Great Gatsby - is a rad book but you need to read it when you're not a stupid fucking teenager

Flappers - want the D

art nouveau - or I feed

dude if u need to update me on anything related to mage

remember that until 6 i will be at work and can't access the forams

gmail me

powerpuppies will do yo

as far as I know right now we are on like uhh

like something that rhymes with on

on like @Donkey Kong

after his help last night with cover letter technology, he seems a suitable benchmark for 'on.'
    sig.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    chat how are the imacs as gaming machines in boot camp?
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If I can find a good way to do the nose (I have a pretty powerful nose), I will totally go as Voldemort this year

Other than the face, the costume is easy and comfortable
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    hmm so ppups and dk and whoever else knows about computer shit

my interweb cuts out intermittently and I can fix it by restarting the modem and router

what is the likely source of this problem and would a new router fix it

I am thinking of getting a new router anyway because this one has shit coverage in my house
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    If I can find a good way to do the nose (I have a pretty powerful nose), I will totally go as Voldemort this year

You could go as the Dean from Community? I mean you like him enough to have him as your avatar so that seems like a natural fit.
    edited May 2013
    Dude.

oh fully

Yeah but you have to put up with everyone everywhere calling them fake, not real, often how they're inferior, etc.

I think breasts are kinda inseparable from femininity, actually. Like in the cultural consciousness. Maybe not as much as testes, but the link is there.

I dunno. Again, realize that I obviously have much more attachment to one than the other, but I don't think the psychological impact of breast loss is very low at all.

i once saw a show (i think it was one of thos gok wan body image things) where they had a line up of ten women two with implants the rest natural

guess who 80% of people surveyed said has the best looking boobs?

i'm not sure fake boob hate is really a thing unless you go nuts with it ala Katie Price or Pam Anderson

if you keep them outside of cartoon size territory most people won't complain

personally I have very little problem with breats augmentation as long as it was the womans choice to get it

and to be clear i don't think losing your breasts is inconsequential at all, the problem here is men have no direct comparision, for a woman to lose her ovaries or uterus, that would be exactly as painful as a guy losing his balls because they're tired up in the same kind of sense of gender
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

The new ones use mobile GPUs

so not very good for a desktop
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Aight, gonna need Geth's help to decide what i do this afternoon.

Geth roll 1d4.

1: Work on my second Card Game (Sunset Showdown)
    2: Begin work on my unnamed Music tabletop RPG system
    3: Begin work on my unnamed over-the-top hitmen RPG Campaign
    4: Play Demon's Souls. Possibly shit my pants.
    21stCentury on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Dude.

oh fully

people don't actually do this in real life.
    you're not going to get many people mocking you for fake boobs that you got lopped up because of cancer risk.
    Also she's so rich her fake boobs will probably be 500% better than real boobs.

You could go as "Lord Voldemort before the whole nose thing happened"
    vspgsp.jpg
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular

my interweb cuts out intermittently and I can fix it by restarting the modem and router

I am thinking of getting a new router anyway because this one has shit coverage in my house

Does it work if you power cycle just one of them? Like, if you just turn the router off then back on does it work again?
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

sounds like you have a shitty service, modem, or router. If restarting fixes, it's more likely to be the latter two. Are you using the shit rent modem from the cable company? What router do you have?

The new iMacs are like mid-level laptops for gaming. Medium settings (maybe even low for particularly challenging games) if you insist on native res and smooth frame rates. You can probably do high settings for your MMOs, your indies, but that's about it.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

you really must stop tying me up in interesting conversations after 5pm!

i should have gone home 20 minutes ago! :P
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

I think nexuscrawler has a new top of the line one and said it was pretty bomb

I'd be a little meh about the graphics cards personally
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    I want other celebrities to undergo surgery to make other people who have to go through it feel better.

Specifically, Piers Morgan. I don't care what the surgery is, as long as it's major.
    Aight, gonna need Geth's help to decide what i do this afternoon.

Geth roll 1d4.

1: Work on my second Card Game (Sunset Showdown)
    2: Begin work on my unnamed Music tabletop RPG system
    3: Begin work on my unnamed over-the-top hitmen RPG Campaign
    4: Play Demon's Souls. Possibly shit my pants.

Geth's not playing your game anymore.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Skippy it was her boobs. They didn't belong to her they were a national treasure.

She's 37. I'm sure she can afford some great plastic surgery but the timer was counting down on national treasure status there.

if anything the surgery will likely keep her in the game a while longer
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Dude.

oh fully

As a cis-gendered male I think I would be pretty fine with it. I don't feel especially attached to them as I do to say my penis.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera

Does restarting just the router fix it? What about just the modem?
    dkmouthsig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I want other celebrities to undergo surgery to make other people who have to go through it feel better.

Specifically, Piers Morgan. I don't care what the surgery is, as long as it's major.

Assisted suicide?
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Surgical addition of a dunce cap and a long nose maybe?
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

first most likely cause is the wire. do you have DSL or cable?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Kagera wrote: »
    Dude.

oh fully

As a cis-gendered male I think I would be pretty fine with it. I don't feel especially attached to them as I do to say my penis.

I don't care much about the balls themselves (and they do make prosthetic balls, don't they?). I'd be much more worried about losing the testosterone.
    vspgsp.jpg
    kaleedity wrote: »

sounds like you have a shitty service, modem, or router. If restarting fixes, it's more likely to be the latter two. Are you using the shit rent modem from the cable company? What router do you have?

yeah shit rent modem (god I don't even know what brand -- ambit U10C018 maybe) and the router is the old apple airport that looks like a ufo
This discussion has been closed.