Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    You don't get specific people mocking you for implants, but there is a general cultural consensus that "fake boobs" and "breast augmentation" are synonyms. Like to the point where "are those real?" is something you hear more than anything with the word implant or augmentation in it. It's a whole general social feel.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    By the way, on average you have a ~40% of getting cancer on average and between 1/8 and 1/4 chance of dying of cancer. Until we get robot bodies, that's how it is. You can't just chop shit off that might get a tumor.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    hmm so ppups and dk and whoever else knows about computer shit

my interweb cuts out intermittently and I can fix it by restarting the modem and router

what is the likely source of this problem and would a new router fix it

I am thinking of getting a new router anyway because this one has shit coverage in my house

Does it work if you power cycle just one of them? Like, if you just turn the router off then back on does it work again?

well I have never tried that >:[
    Casual wrote: »
    Shivahn

you really must stop tying me up in interesting conversations after 5pm!

i should have gone home 20 minutes ago! :P

@Casual Ahaha yess. Keep everyone at work all the time.
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I want other celebrities to undergo surgery to make other people who have to go through it feel better.

Specifically, Piers Morgan. I don't care what the surgery is, as long as it's major.

Assisted suicide?

I was thinking an invasive rectal procedure and open heart surgery conducted with a rusty spoon and a rubber hammer, but sure.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If I can find a good way to do the nose (I have a pretty powerful nose), I will totally go as Voldemort this year

Other than the face, the costume is easy and comfortable

You could go as the Dean from Community? I mean you like him enough to have him as your avatar so that seems like a natural fit.

I see what you did there
    spool32 wrote: »

my interweb cuts out intermittently and I can fix it by restarting the modem and router

I am thinking of getting a new router anyway because this one has shit coverage in my house

first most likely cause is the wire. do you have DSL or cable?

um, time warner cable
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I want other celebrities to undergo surgery to make other people who have to go through it feel better.

Specifically, Piers Morgan. I don't care what the surgery is, as long as it's major.

humancentipede.jpg
    Kagera wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Dude.

I'm not an expert on breast cancer. But doesn't this seem like overkill?

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme

Unless you are 87% likely and then it's dumb not to.

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.

if she hasn't already she'll get implants

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.

oh fully

can't imagine how gutted i'd be if i had to lose my nuts or something

though admittedly that seems a lot worse than a mastectomy

God I want to input on this as someone who can actually compare the two, but that also puts me in a super biased position, so...

I dunno. I think the thing that'd bug me about a mastectomy in an of itself (well, besides all the other stuff) would be that it's something that's super visible, especially to oneself. Like testicles... I dunno about you but I forget they're there unless they get whacked or something. Breasts I am constantly aware of.

So yeah, I dunno. Either way sucks but it's a different suck with different reasons.

well to my mind balls and boobs are apples and oranges, the direct female comparision is ovaries obviously

you lose your boobs it has the regular suck of losing any body part, but with the silver lining that you can have the form cosmeticly replaced if not the function and no one will know until they get a close enough look at them to see surgery scars

with balls, thats a very very major part of what it is to be a man, like we were talking about yesterday, without them your body starts thinking it's a woman

there would be deep deep psycological tramua involved in losing your biological manhood for a cis-gendered male

As a cis-gendered male I think I would be pretty fine with it. I don't feel especially attached to them as I do to say my penis.

I don't think this is actually uncommon! People love the d.

I mean

as a transgendered lady

I also do not feel as attached to them as my penis :P
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    the church service on mother's day was about how homeschooling was god's chosen path if you can't afford a private school

cuz if you can't afford a private school you can probably afford a stay at home parent
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

sounds like you have a shitty service, modem, or router. If restarting fixes, it's more likely to be the latter two. Are you using the shit rent modem from the cable company? What router do you have?

yeah shit rent modem (god I don't even know what brand -- ambit U10C018 maybe) and the router is the old apple airport that looks like a ufo

you could probably fix one of those and kind of remedy the situation but I would personally replace them both.

I even tested the provided comcast modem compared to my personal one when I moved into my new house and my modem has 150% throughput compared to even the newest comcast loaner.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Still no surgery to give implant a soul.*
    Alternate endings:
    Heart
    Clue
    Likability
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Still no surgery to give implant a soul.*
    Alternate endings:
    Heart
    Clue
    Likability
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    D
    Winky wrote: »
    Dude.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.

oh fully

God I want to input on this as someone who can actually compare the two, but that also puts me in a super biased position, so...

I dunno. I think the thing that'd bug me about a mastectomy in an of itself (well, besides all the other stuff) would be that it's something that's super visible, especially to oneself. Like testicles... I dunno about you but I forget they're there unless they get whacked or something. Breasts I am constantly aware of.

So yeah, I dunno. Either way sucks but it's a different suck with different reasons.

well to my mind balls and boobs are apples and oranges, the direct female comparision is ovaries obviously

you lose your boobs it has the regular suck of losing any body part, but with the silver lining that you can have the form cosmeticly replaced if not the function and no one will know until they get a close enough look at them to see surgery scars

with balls, thats a very very major part of what it is to be a man, like we were talking about yesterday, without them your body starts thinking it's a woman

there would be deep deep psycological tramua involved in losing your biological manhood for a cis-gendered male

As a cis-gendered male I think I would be pretty fine with it. I don't feel especially attached to them as I do to say my penis.

I don't care much about the balls themselves (and they do make prosthetic balls, don't they?). I'd be much more worried about losing the testosterone.

You can replace the testosterone and they even have fake balls now to look normal. If I could penetrate a vagina and feel it that would be something pretty traumatic for me.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    I don't care much about the balls themselves (and they do make prosthetic balls, don't they?). I'd be much more worried about losing the testosterone.

cyberballs

squeeze the left, a selection of smooth R&B starts to play

squeeze the right, a tasteful and sexy light show
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    ppups and whoever else knows about computer shit

hahahahahaha dude i don't know shit about computer stuff
    sig.gif
    By the way, on average you have a ~40% of getting cancer on average and between 1/8 and 1/4 chance of dying of cancer. Until we get robot bodies, that's how it is. You can't just chop shit off that might get a tumor.

That's true, but that's also across all body systems. If a single body part, that is removable with few physical consequences, is more than doubling the risk of the entire body, it is far from crazy to remove it.
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular

sounds like you have a shitty service, modem, or router. If restarting fixes, it's more likely to be the latter two. Are you using the shit rent modem from the cable company? What router do you have?

yeah shit rent modem (god I don't even know what brand -- ambit U10C018 maybe) and the router is the old apple airport that looks like a ufo

you could probably fix one of those and kind of remedy the situation but I would personally replace them both.

I even tested the provided comcast modem compared to my personal one when I moved into my new house and my modem has 150% throughput compared to even the newest comcast loaner.

I never really thought about buying my own modem

do they work across services -- like if I have cable here and I move to timbuktu and have cable there, will the same device work
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    D
    Dude.

oh fully

You can replace the testosterone and they even have fake balls now to look normal. If I could penetrate a vagina and feel it that would be something pretty traumatic for me.

Is this what you meant to say.
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    and if you're shopping for a router make sure it's dd-wrt capable and use that firmware (or a similar type of third party firmware) because it's fucking badassss
    D
    Dude.

oh fully

For some reason it's funny to me to see exactly the stuff I've thought about being said by someone in a totally different position.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

cyberballs

cyberballs 2.0 will have rumble
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    I figured I'd share my new love for Geoguessr with imgur's user submitted.

http://imgur.com/gallery/7YMTU
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    ppups and whoever else knows about computer shit

hahahahahaha dude i don't know shit about computer stuff

what good are you

If I had a genetic predisposition to one type of cancer you better believe I'd take preventative measures from getting it weather that be not smoking or choppin my nuts off.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

cyberballs

2.1 firmware upgrade sends automatic updates to your twitter every time you ejaculate

cyberballs

The first gen ones will need batteries though and be unwieldy.

Rumble Paks for your balls.
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Does it work if you power cycle just one of them? Like, if you just turn the router off then back on does it work again?

well I have never tried that >:[

Try that the next time it occurs, at the very least try just power cycling the router first. This should be able to let you know whether it's just router related or a problem with the modem.
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You don't get specific people mocking you for implants, but there is a general cultural consensus that "fake boobs" and "breast augmentation" are synonyms. Like to the point where "are those real?" is something you hear more than anything with the word implant or augmentation in it. It's a whole general social feel.

Or you can ask Lance Armstrong about how society responds to losing a body part for cancer. Nobody ever jokes about that, right?

That said, I've got to agree that losing your balls is probably not a great comparison, because if you don't want kids / more kids, you really don't lose anything. The testosterone is a big deal, but can be taken care of pretty easily. You never hear anyone saying 'nice sack on that guy'.

Boobs are visible, public, and unfortunately a big part of personal identity for women. I think having your dick removed and replaced with a prosthetic would be a better comparison now that I think of it when it comes to the self-identification and all that...but from a functionality standpoint a prosthetic penis is going to have a much bigger impact than fake boobs.

At least with her resources, the work she'll get done will probably be indistinguishable (or possibly better) than the real thing.
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

do they work across services -- like if I have cable here and I move to timbuktu and have cable there, will the same device work

y
    dkmouthsig.png
    and if you're shopping for a router make sure it's dd-wrt capable and use that firmware (or a similar type of third party firmware) because it's fucking badassss

As someone who uses dd-wrt if I got a new router I'd probably just spend extra to get something that already had good firmware. DD-WRT is a pain in the ass sometimes and while the customizability is good the firmware can apparently degrade performance in some cases.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

cyberballs

2.1 firmware upgrade sends automatic updates to your twitter every time you ejaculate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Rm9uEcnwY

EDIT: The freeze frame on this is awesome. :D
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    Sarksus wrote: »
    D
    Dude.

oh fully

Could not.

COULD NOT.
    _J_ wrote:
    zagdrob wrote: »

Or you can ask Lance Armstrong about how society responds to losing a body part for cancer. Nobody ever jokes about that, right?

That said, I've got to agree that losing your balls is probably not a great comparison, because if you don't want kids / more kids, you really don't lose anything. The testosterone is a big deal, but can be taken care of pretty easily. You never hear anyone saying 'nice sack on that guy'.

Boobs are visible, public, and unfortunately a big part of personal identity for women. I think having your dick removed and replaced with a prosthetic would be a better comparison now that I think of it when it comes to the self-identification and all that...but from a functionality standpoint a prosthetic penis is going to have a much bigger impact than fake boobs.

At least with her resources, the work she'll get done will probably be indistinguishable (or possibly better) than the real thing.

Yeah, this is kind of what I was trying to say, but better. I'm glad she'll be able to afford nice ones.

It 'should' work everywhere, but it's dependent on how much of a jackass the ISP is. Fortunately for you, I get comcast cable as well.

They require you to give them a device ID (They should just need the MAC to actually get it to work, but they might be assholes and demand one of the other keys — in my case this device id appeared on the box of my cable modem, and not the actual cable modem!). Once they record the MAC of your device when it's plugged in, they can see the info on their side and whitelist it. If you move, you have to get them to whitelist you again. Fortunately, they can also copy and paste the old information you've given them at previous addresses (if you happen to lose the box like a certain omelette du fromage)
    D
    Dude.

oh fully

Could not.

COULD NOT.

Too late. You are now afraid of penetrating vaginas.

As someone who uses dd-wrt if I got a new router I'd probably just spend extra to get something that already had good firmware. DD-WRT is a pain in the ass sometimes and while the customizability is good the firmware can apparently degrade performance in some cases.

Don't get an Asus device if you do this

their base firmware might be the worst of any device I've ever used
    edited May 2013
    After Thom has recommended the Airrouter a few times I will probably get that if this one ever dies.

But I've had this one for like 8 years.
    Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.