Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    how long does aioli last in the fridge?
    xlh6c3.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    hmm I just dug in to my box of stuff that I haven't really looked inside in years

in it is a motorola surfboard sb5120 modem

a linksys wireless-g game adapter wga54g

a microsoft broadband networking wireless base station mn-700

and some coax cable

I will try replacing the cable, do you guys think that modem or either of those routers is better than what I'm using right now
    skippydumptruck on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    hmm I just dug in to my box of stuff that I haven't really looked inside in years

a microsoft broadband networking wireless base station mn-600

and some coax cable

I will try replacing the cable, do you guys think that modem or either of those routers is better than what I'm using right now

Why don't you diagnose what's actually wrong first.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    I also doubt the ability to forecast cancer %-tiles to that degree of accuracy but that's another thing.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Till dinner.
    Then I eats it.
    I eats it all.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Capitalism is awesome. Laissez-faire the shit out of this bitch, I don't want government getting involved in business.

What's that? Electric cars are being sold directly to consumers? Let's pass a law to stop that.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    I mean that's you your choice to reject the percentages pants.

But the percentages are likely from researched and informed sources so I have a tendency to side with them.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera

and some coax cable

then I will have to wait for it to crap out on me again!

it could be hours or days!
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

until you eat it
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Beep Booper Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @21stCentury
    Why didn't it work?

Geth roll 1d4

Period at the end.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I also doubt the ability to forecast cancer %-tiles to that degree of accuracy but that's another thing.

For a specific gene penetrance it's probably pretty good, I'd think. It's not a "your mom has this risk so she probably has this thing and" kinda thing, it's a "BRCA1 mutants have an 87% risk" thing.

I mean it's probably a little fuzzy, yeah, but this seems focused on a couple of very specific things rather than the general percentages you usually get.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    So it was brought to my attention that someone rolled an entire page full of 1s.
    I wonder if @evilbob should be punished in someone way?

bob... you get a saving throw. 1d20. Make it count...

@Icyliquid

Geth roll 1d20
    I also found a neo geo pocket color in this box
    Kagera wrote: »

But the percentages are likely from researched and informed sources so I have a tendency to side with them.

the percentages have passed through the rather shitty filter of journalism first, though.
    xlh6c3.png

until you eat it

so it should still be perfect come friday?
    xlh6c3.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

the percentages have passed through the rather shitty filter of journalism first, though.

Science journalism! My favorite!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    If you live long enough, you pretty much have a 100% chance of getting cancer.
    Some people unfortunately have the genes or environmental factors that shortens that age tremendously.
    Boo. Should have gone with 20d1
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Capitalism is awesome. Laissez-faire the shit out of this bitch, I don't want government getting involved in business.

What's that? Electric cars are being sold directly to consumers? Let's pass a law to stop that.

Planned economy is superior! As long as it's our plan!
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Yeah. The whole thing is weird. If I'm at an insanely high risk for X, I'm going to do my good god damnedest to catch X at the earliest opportunity.

I am not going to start surgically removing stuff though.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Beep Booper Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    evilbob wrote: »
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    So it was brought to my attention that someone rolled an entire page full of 1s.
    I wonder if @evilbob should be punished in someone way?

bob... you get a saving throw. 1d20. Make it count...

@Icyliquid

Geth roll 1d20

1d20 7 [1d20=7]

Punishment will be cruel, but not cripplingly so. And it will come when you least expect it.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    So a 15 year old boy with homosexual feelings tried to play into heteronormative society while denying his true feelings, something all too uncommon and unfortunate, and he was also a typical asshole 15 year old geek who was snotty about video games

and

you still want him to be cheated on by the love of his life.

What was that about being 15 years old again

A whole lot of other shit happened for me to want karma to get back at him. It wasn't just over some video game.
    there isn't an
    Shivahn wrote: »

Science journalism! My favorite!

Mhmm.
    xlh6c3.png
    TTODewback wrote: »
    If you live long enough, you pretty much have a 100% chance of getting cancer.
    Some people unfortunately have the genes or environmental factors that shortens that age tremendously.

Or just bad luck. It's a probability after all.
    xlh6c3.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

No. They haven't.

I assume there is a really solid statistical basis for the number. As with all medical statistics, it's not forecasting Jolie specifically, but saying that 87 out of 100 women similar to her in the general population DID develop cancer.
    dkmouthsig.png

and some coax cable

then I will have to wait for it to crap out on me again!

it could be hours or days!

Oh ok. Then you should for sure replace random components all the while wondering if you fixed it or not. Keep the mystery alive.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    tch another game im interested in on steam that isn't finished yet

im getting tired of this new thing of selling games still in alpha

i blame minecraft for this

i want to remain blissfully ignorant of a games existence until it's finished and ready to play
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

No. They haven't.

I'm not siding with pantsb here I think his view here is silly

but just like, "87% risk to get cancer" is a sentence that I think got some bits lopped off along the way.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    how do you make 100 engineers go blind
    tell them there's a circular rainbow around the sun
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    SammyF wrote: »
    I understand PantsB's immediate reaction to Jolie's surgery, however. The headline I read about it this morning went something like 'Jolie undergoes double mastectomy after learning of cancer risk,' which made it sound like all those pink ribbons finally penetrated her consciousness, and she discovered that breast cancer was a thing.

I actually didn't read any further because my reaction to that thought was, "well, whatever, it's her body, not mine," and I flipped to find a news article that actually affected my own life. But I gather now that this was actually something Jolie became very informed about -- enough so that she apparently had a doctor look into her own genetic profile? The emotional aspects of everything aside, if she went to that much effort, the amount of information she gathered leads me to imagine that she probably spent a lot more time thinking about this than I did when having a knee jerk reaction over a cup of coffee and a bagel with schmear.

her mom died of breast cancer pretty young. i'd imagine it heightened her concerns about it.

i'm not the world's biggest fan of angelina jolie, but the way people have reacted to this is kind of gruesome.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    will is only the world's second biggest fan of angelina jolie

his refusal to get the facial tattoos done knocked him out of the top spot
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Yeah. The whole thing is weird. If I'm at an insanely high risk for X, I'm going to do my good god damnedest to catch X at the earliest opportunity.

I am not going to start surgically removing stuff though.

What if you could effectively replace that body part with a near indistinguishable replacement?

What if treatment of X, which you have an insanely high risk for, is horrible even if you do catch it at the earliest opportunity?
    countdown to crass google search auto-suggestions
    dkmouthsig.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

No. They haven't.

I'm not siding with pantsb here I think his view here is silly

but just like, "87% risk to get cancer" is a sentence that I think got some bits lopped off along the way.

No, I think those numbers are pretty solid when you are talking about those specific gene mutations and risks of certain cancers.

Like, there are error bars, and I'm sure there are factors that can raise or lower that risk. But as a whole, women who have her specific mutation have an 87 +/- a few % chance of contracting breast cancer in their lifetimes.
    steam_sig.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

How did you make it? If it's got raw garlic in it, not very long. If it's just mayo made with garlic infused oil, it'll last longer.
    I understand PantsB's immediate reaction to Jolie's surgery, however. The headline I read about it this morning went something like 'Jolie undergoes double mastectomy after learning of cancer risk,' which made it sound like all those pink ribbons finally penetrated her consciousness, and she discovered that breast cancer was a thing.

I actually didn't read any further because my reaction to that thought was, "well, whatever, it's her body, not mine," and I flipped to find a news article that actually affected my own life. But I gather now that this was actually something Jolie became very informed about -- enough so that she apparently had a doctor look into her own genetic profile? The emotional aspects of everything aside, if she went to that much effort, the amount of information she gathered leads me to imagine that she probably spent a lot more time thinking about this than I did when having a knee jerk reaction over a cup of coffee and a bagel with schmear.

She has a gene that gives her an 87% chance of developing it. Reading the article, she seems like she knew what was going on and was forced to make a shitty choice. So yeah, not a knee jerk thing.

Wait 87% Really? It was as high as 87%?

I'm surprised I didn't just read that 40 times. :p

The actual percentage doesn't matter to me very much. There's not some magical threshold where I'm going to say, "you lopped off your titties for a mere 72%?! You dumb crazy bitch." Rather, it's the fact that she actually found out what genes she was carrying. Generally speaking, family history is the limit most people go to when determining risk factors from an oncology standpoint. You have a grandparent who died of breast cancer? Okay, well, in that case their might be a genetic risk, so we'll make sure we schedule you for more regular mammograms. Going through the time and expense to actually look into her own genetic profile so she knew exactly what she was dealing with leads me to belief that whatever her percentages were, she made an informed decision based on the most complete set of facts available to her at the time. I don't feel much point in second guessing anyone who will do that.

Oh for sure, her body, her choices, etc.

But yes it was 87% chance.

I am fond of my Russian roulette metaphor: eight chambered cylinder, only one has nothing in it, go.

Like Jesus that is one of the biggest percentages I've seen in medicine, that sucks.

Let me put it another way:

Even while stipulating that everyone is entitled to an opinion (even as I'm not entirely sure why), I don't think this one single and discrete fact makes one person's agreement any more valid than another person's disagreement. What I approve of is the fact that Jolie sought out information and then made a decision based upon a fact pattern and not a gut check, and I don't especially see the value in disputing another fact pattern-based decision with my gut check any more than I see value in supporting someone else's fact pattern-based decision making with a gut check informed by a single discrete fact.

Jolie made a personal decision the way I hope most everyone would make an important decision. Let's get her name back into the lottery for jury duty.
    SammyF on
    I'm awake now at 3am because I had a sleep paralysis dream where a ghost of some lady who'd died in my house was choking me to death. My neck feels sore.
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    I actually lost one of our regular D&D gaming crew a few years back to cancer. He was a 31 year old marine. Fit and tough. Loved playing off the wall character concepts. It was a real shocker to us all. He still showed up for gaming even during a lot of his treatment though.

It was the first time I'd ever really had someone die who I knew personally that wasn't an old family member.

Cancer sucks donkeys. I wish the best for anyone who even has a slight possibility of going through that hell.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    evilbob wrote: »
    I'm awake now at 3am because I had a sleep paralysis dream where a ghost of some lady who'd died in my house was choking me to death. My neck feels sore.

ack D:
This discussion has been closed.