Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Catcher in the Rye should be read as a teenager, and then again as an adult.

That book holds up a mirror, and you should look into it at different phases of your life.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i had to read excerpts from the bible and i went to a public school that wasn't in the south! #lifesux

I feel as though the bible in and of itself is worth a read devoid of all the religious contexts surrounding it.
    its boring and the premise sucked and you learn about all the halfway interesting stories through cultural osmosis anyway
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

That book holds up a mirror, and you should look into it at different phases of your life.

When I was 15, I thought it was brilliant and perfect.

Therefore, when I was 15, I was brilliant and perfect.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Dude.

I'm not an expert on breast cancer. But doesn't this seem like overkill?

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    I really liked FFXII's system. Felt like I really had a choice.

it took me a while to get into it but it slowly wormed its way into my heart and now IMO it's the best of all the FF battle systems

XIII was a massive let down after that

also just in general
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i wonder if i should get the new borderlands man
    Per3th.jpg
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    i had to read excerpts from the bible and i went to a public school that wasn't in the south! #lifesux

I feel as though the bible in and of itself is worth a read devoid of all the religious contexts surrounding it.
    its boring and the premise sucked and you learn about all the halfway interesting stories through cultural osmosis anyway

It's worth reading to realize exactly how much it sucks.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    First news story on CNN.com is that Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy

Don't get me wrong this is huge news but really CNN
    y2jake215 on
    G2Dcf.jpg
    PantsB wrote: »
    Dude.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-says-she-had-double-mastectomy/aaGHkUdzJeknIgNsRUtc4M/story.html

I mean cutting off your boobs (especially when you're an actress and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world) because you are more likely to get breast cancer (but don't actually have it yet) seems super extreme

It says she had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer.

I feel like taking preventive steps at that point makes sense.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Dude.

You have a 90% chance of it.

Do you want to get tested constantly and hope it doesn't appear and spread in between tests.

Or do you want to not have to live with that problem?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    For the longest time I thought Sonic 2006 was a PS2 game.

i tried once but found badly translated hebrew to be too much of a bitch to wade through
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    First news story on CNN.com is that Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy

Don't get me wrong this is huge news but really CNN

It used to be huge news, now it's barely news at all.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Dude.

Unless you are 87% likely and then it's dumb not to.

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Dude.

Angelina has always been pretty Extremeeeeee though.
    Everything she does she does to the max.
    I WILL ADOPT FIVE HUNDRED BABBYS
    Dude.

87% chance.
    Per3th.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Dude.

I don't know it seems like she's basically done acting, and being alive is pretty great

Especially when you have millions and millions of dollars for reconstructive surgery
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Dude.

87% chance of breast cancer. Now down to 5%. The only "concern" is from enforced body image issues. And it's her choice either way. Doesn't sound overkill to me though.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Cass what if I feel my inner Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels coming out in your campaign.

r u still mad that u cant hack a computer....

WHY WOULD ANYONE SUGGEST ME TO DO THAT

I have one dot! I'm a petty thief!

But mostly my desire for hilarious self-sabotage is rising so of course I had to try.

I promise to not take anyone else down with me except maybe @jacobkosh

@desc my guy will do lines of ground-up mummy powder off ur broken body

I want to give you something to do! And you found the knife. So the being sneaky bit worked!
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

Being familiar with certain stories from the Bible is so important to being able to understand most Western literature from the Middle Ages through like 1960 that I cannot begrudge any high school that makes its students read Job, Ruth, Genesis, Jonah, The Gospel According to John or Revelations.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Dude.

Her mom died at 56 from Ovarian Cancer.

She has a gene that gives her something like a 90% chance of contracting breast cancer.

I can't blame her.

EDIT - her maternal grandma died at 45...
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png
    Dude.

It says she had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer.

I feel like taking preventive steps at that point makes sense.

yeah

given her circumstances it would have been pretty stupid not to

R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Cass what if I feel my inner Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels coming out in your campaign.

r u still mad that u cant hack a computer....

WHY WOULD ANYONE SUGGEST ME TO DO THAT

I have one dot! I'm a petty thief!

But mostly my desire for hilarious self-sabotage is rising so of course I had to try.

I promise to not take anyone else down with me except maybe @jacobkosh

@desc my guy will do lines of ground-up mummy powder off ur broken body

I want to give you something to do! And you found the knife. So the being sneaky bit worked!

It's fine. When in doubt, put him in a really questionable situation. That's my philosophy.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    OK yeah @echo @tehsloth passenger is trying to use ruby 1.8 and I have ruby 2.0 installed...

edit: well I have both, but 'which ruby' returns the 2.0 version.
    spool32 on
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Speaking of replaying RPG's im going ot spend my summer playing Front Mission 5 finally and FF12 Interational.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Dude.

Like playing Russian roulette with an eight shot revolver and only one of them ISN'T loaded.

It is entirely not worth the risk of metastasis, as sucky as losing awesome body parts is.

if she hasn't already she'll get implants

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    as I said earlier today, modern implants put in by a talented surgeon can look like works of art. and jolie has all the time and money in the world. if she wants a perfect fake rack she can have it, and in the meantime, her cancer risk drops 82%! I mean, jesus christ!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

I got Gaige because she looked fun

but I'm not going to get the Pyscho because he looks boring and I haven't even touched Axton or Salvador
    Dude.

87% chance of breast cancer. Now down to 5%. The only "concern" is from enforced body image issues. And it's her choice either way. Doesn't sound overkill to me though.

Well I don't think the body image issues are enforced. I mean, tons are, but even for totally non sexualized parts of me that I hate, I would feel weird about losing them.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I have solved the problem!

... it has potentially affected ALL my previous results. so now I have to go back and check everything. arg.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    OK yeah -echo -tehsloth passenger is trying to use ruby 18. and I have ruby 2.0 installed...

edit: well I have both, but 'which ruby' returns the 2.0 version.

There should be a default ruby version setting thing somewhere in a config somewhere.
    edited May 2013
    Elendil wrote: »

I got Gaige because she looked fun

but I'm not going to get the Pyscho because he looks boring and I haven't even touched Axton or Salvador
    i think the new guy's trees look kind of cool

there's one where he lights himself on fire for huge buffs

mostly it's "do i want to play borderlands 2 for the 4th time"
    Elendil on
    Per3th.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

I reread it every five years. The last time I read it I focused on Holden's attitude towards women and realized "oh shit here's something I need to stop doing."
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Hey, anyone wanna raid some relics with me tonight?
    Casual wrote: »
    Dude.

the only thing she'll lose is the ability to breast feed, but i suspect she's done having kids

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    OUT

FOR

DELIVERY

skippydumptruck Hey! How'd your wife's interviews go?

@visiblehowl

had 3 in pdx, 2 in chi

pdx ended up being too cheap, so I think job's out of the running

chi hasn't called back so we're guessing that's no go too

maybe stuck in tx for the summer : (

D:D:D:

Man I'd rather you move to Oregon than get stuck in Texas for summer. :( Sux duder.
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Yeah but breast cancer has a ~90% survival rate if found early. So she has a ~90% chance of getting a disease with a ~90% survival rate. Instead of getting increased screening and treating the potential cancer, she just had them cut off (which also would have been an option upon diagnosis). If I had a 90% chance of getting nose cancer with a similar survival rate, I'm not going to cut it off just in case.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Casual wrote: »
    Dude.

Well I mean, even with implants I'd imagine there's something nice about feeling intact that is lost, and that really, really sucks.

But yeah I'm sure it won't be a huge thing and I'm really glad she shared because mastectomies are scary and sucky if you're not a trans guy or something.

I doubt she sees her breasts as something 'nice' and that intact feeling gives her anything.

I'd say, with the odds, more likely she sees them as a festering bomb that's going to go off and kill her at anytime, and she's hopeless to prevent it. 87%...
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Yeah but breast cancer has a ~90% survival rate if found early. So she has a ~90% chance of getting a disease with a ~90% survival rate. Instead of getting increased screening and treating the potential cancer, she just had them cut off (which also would have been an option upon diagnosis). If I had a 90% chance of getting nose cancer with a similar survival rate, I'm not going to cut it off just in case.

Maybe you would if you watched your mother painfully die an early death from it.
This discussion has been closed.