Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I could see why a bigger style would be useful at a poker table though!
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I don't find dubai saddening. Or their flaunting of wealth distasteful.

They've gone far beyond all that. It's just something strange and insane that I'm watching, not a real thing.

They're relatively foresightful, at least.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi have some of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the entire world; ~$600 billion between them. Dubai specifically is pretty well-diversified -- unfortunately it chose a portfolio (real estate development, high finance, and tourism) uniquely suited to getting reamed by the 2008 GFC. Abu Dhabi has made tangible attempts toward funding sustainability/green initiatives, though to what extent things like Masdar City are for show is anyone's guess. They know the oil's gonna run out someday -- their current levels of output / proven reserves put it at ~130 years -- and are moving towards a post-hydrocarbon economic base.

One of them owns a big chunk of Global Foundries (aka AMD's former manufacturing arm) as well. All kinds of crazy stuff.

Norway has a huge SWF as well.

Is that what the funneled their oil revenue into?
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When driving past a Burger King in Bali I noticed they had a phone number under their sign for delivery.

I think just heard scheck gently sobbing.

Literally everything in Dubai delivers. The campus cafeteria will deliver to your dorm.

The dorms are no more than like 300 feet away from the cafeteria.
    network_sig2.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If they go outside, they might have to deal with more than one migrant worker!
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When driving past a Burger King in Bali I noticed they had a phone number under their sign for delivery.

I think just heard scheck gently sobbing.
    magic 8 ball says...
    "i had delivery bk and mcds in korea
    so im just liek
    ahead of da curve"
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    In Bali it is more if you go outside you might get run over by 20 scooters, at once.

Crossing the street was an adventure!
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    I would appreciate living somewhere where everybody delivered.

I would be so fat.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Just went downstairs to go put the ol' rubbish bags out so I don't have to wake up tomorrow. Halfway down the stairs I'm thinking "wow it is really fucking cold"

All the way down the stairs I'm thinking "wait what the fuck why is it so cold?"

I go through the kitchen, and lo my back door is wide open, rain pouring in. Living room door where the cat sleeps is also wide open. Oh shit.

Cat's fine, sitting there on the table meowing like crazy because this situation is wholely unorthodox and unauthorized.

So I guess Nan went to sleep without locking the door which is fine I am used to going down to double check that shit. Leaving it wide the fuck open, lights on, where any thief/rapist/murderer/all of the above can come in and kill me in my sleep is a new one! She's upping her game.
    camo_sig2.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Call is over!

*begins to open boxes*
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Call is over!

*begins to open boxes*

Good luck, Skips.

You'll need it.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have gotten so bad about locking things in Japan. My apartment, my car... well I guess that's all I really own that has locks. Leaving my bag with my wallet on my chair while I use the restroom. Or heck just leaving my wallet on the table while I use the restroom.

When I get back to America I am going to get destroyed.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I would be so fat.

http://foodrunner.co.nz/

Haven't used them before, but similar setup to Mr Delivery back in SA.

Nice because you could order from restaurants that are usually considered sit-down affairs.
    Call is over!

*begins to open boxes*

Good luck, Skips.

You'll need it.

don't worry I plan to post as I go

update as I turn each screw, plug in each doohicky

in excruciating detail
    oh my god this processor fan is giant
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

I would be so fat.

http://foodrunner.co.nz/

Haven't used them before, but similar setup to Mr Delivery back in SA.

Nice because you could order from restaurants that are usually considered sit-down affairs.

Yeah, we have something similar in Grub Hub, but no one around my area participates in third-party delivery :\
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Everything is bigger than Skippy expected
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What processor did you get?

Well, not everything... Heyooo! (j/k)
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Duel of Champions = fun.

The Haven starter deck is kinda poop compared to the Necro deck though.
    captain's log

motherboard i/o shield installed successfully

the men are heartened by this early sign of success, but a dark cloud looms on the horizon

Skippy is actually two midgets in a suit.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Skippydumptruck for serious if you need assistance just call.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

What processor did you get?

i5 um 3570k
    spool32 wrote: »
    Skippydumptruck for serious if you need assistance just call.

yeah I should have just had you come over to do this with me

but yes I will call you if I fuck something up
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    food obtained

crisis averted
    Per3th.jpg
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Duel of Champions = fun.

which one is the haven starter deck

because i'm playing some dude who has cassandra as his hero and his deck seems real stronk
    (ghosts are bullshit tho)
    P10 on
    Duel of Champions = fun.

it's a CCG, right? I assume on a mobile platform?
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Duel of Champions = fun.

Haven gets better (as in an actual cohesive strategy) if you luck out and get more of their uncommons from packs. Necro has poison and incorporeal which just gives them all kinds of extra advantages amidst the lower ranks.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    food obtained

crisis averted

My mother will not answer the texts or calls I am making to her about dinner tonight.

I am going to starve o_o
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    I don't see anything to watch.

then something is fucked up on your end.

vimeo.com/35244188

here it is urld

Oh yeah phone chrome does not like Vimeo.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    Gordon Ramsey is consulting a psychic to learn more about this restaurant.

:|

WAT U DOIN GARDEN ROMSEY?
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular

Duel of Champions = fun.

sweet. i signed up and picked necro, based on absolutely nothing.
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
    processor in
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Skippydumptruck for serious if you need assistance just call.

yeah I should have just had you come over to do this with me

but yes I will call you if I fuck something up

Ok!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    processor in

i expect to be lol'ing with you in 90 minutes
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Gordon Ramsey is consulting a psychic to learn more about this restaurant.

:|

WAT U DOIN GARDEN ROMSEY?
    Psychics are well researched experts even if they get things massively wrong on national tv.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/sylvia-brownes-amanda-perry-psychic_n_3240157.html
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    edited May 2013
    [Not a good post, carry on.]
    21stCentury on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    captain's log

motherboard i/o shield installed successfully

the men are heartened by this early sign of success, but a dark cloud looms on the horizon

holographic evil Lincoln is gonna mess you up
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i wish we had automated red-light cameras and speed/ noise detectors in my city

i'm totes for cc fucking everywhere too

as good as the boston/ cambridge/ watertown cops were in the bombing/ terrorist thing lately, it generally takes something of that magnitude to get them off their asses. we have a lot of perverse incentives that keeps them from really focusing on their actual jobs.

Because our crime rates are low and general satisfaction levels are high, and because they get double-time for playing angry birds at a construction site but nothing for actually walking a beat or ticketing people who double-park on major streets with their hazards on for a half-hour, and because none of the cambridge cops actually live in cambridge, it's really hard to get them to engage.

They do all right if a black guy tries to break into his own house...

they are, admittedly, a little more proactive around mount auburn/ brattle street with the multimillion dollar homes than they are in my hood.

people talk a lot about how boston is (or was) a racist city because of the busing riots back in the 70s, but i almost never see anything like that in cambridge. most of the crime and disturbance seems to be irish/ italian white townies, and there are loads of wealthy/ established minorities and foreigners. i'd be a little surprised if that cop was at all motivated by racism in shaking gates down.

almost certainly what happened was the cop was being kind of a dick and, like, demanding id and being a tough guy, and gates, being hypersensitive to cop bullshit, escalated the whole thing until he was arrested.

will if where you live is the hood i don't want to be on this planet anymore

east cambridge used to be famous for being a shitty neighborhood. even when i moved there it was a little sketchy, and there are still more than a few section-8 families that have passed down their rent-controlled apartments for generations and are kind of a blight.

still, the gentrification of kendall square has done wonders, and east cambridge has reached that tipping point ratio of of pioneers/ hipsters/ young parents to drug dealers/ hobos/ layabouts that the kind of shit that used to pass in broad daylight without comment no longer really happens.

like there is a little wall in front of a portuguese church up on the intersection of medeiros and cambridge st. mean townies used to gather there every fucking day - like 12 of them - and just stand there and glower at anyone walking by. if you looked anywhere in their direction they'd try to start a fight.

this shit had been going on for decades - like, literally generations of shitty townies - fathers, uncles, sons, grandsons - had passed down this tradition of standing in front of "the wall" and being assholes to anyone they didn't know. the cops didn't do anything about it because it was just expected.

anyhow, i've not seen anyone hanging in front of the wall like that for a few years. it seems like gentrification has finally driven them off.

huh, interesting. it looked gorgeous to me- the nearby stores, the park with poop bags, people seemingly comfortable out front without any glowering. that's some improvement. i loved your neighborhood.

Remember Will is only slightly more rational about anime threads than he is about 'townies'

fair enough but seriously we used to have a stabbing once a year outside the portuguese club and there is no excuse for those dicks who used to camp the wall

like, i got my hair cut by a local girl who was somehow related to one of the old east cambridge families and was complaining about how her people used to run that town and how she was really sad and wistful that everyone had now moved out to medford and "the wall" was now sadly vacant and just anyone could walk around without getting thrashed.

I don't understand that mindset at all, I'm just kind of boggling at how shitty it is
    CDIOl.png
    heatsink on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    heatsink on

well, you've already surpassed 21st
    edited May 2013
    heatsink on

well, you've already surpassed 21st

Hold on...

I had my heatsink on, it was just on improperly.

Who knows if Skippy did it properly?

Let's wait for him to boot up the computer. The temps don't lie.

(He's probably surpassed me. :( )
    21stCentury on
This discussion has been closed.