Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Are you implying GFWL ate your save? Or that there's just a lot of hidden stuff? Cause it might be both.
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    There's just a lot of stuff in that game. Way more than I was expecting.

Lots of Batman in my near future.

camo_sig2.png
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    oakke wrote: »
    So, does the "wait til lvl10 before farming for cards" trick work at all? Don't wanna miss my chances of getting one myself.

Well it works because you can't get foils until you are level 10. But unless you have a large amount of years of service and the badges from previous sales you won't be level 10 without actually starting to collect some decks.

Yeah, just realized I'd need at least 2 full decks to get to lvl10.

Curses. Shouldn't have ignored those badges, I knew they would have a sinister purpose someday.
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Can anyone confirm if Portal 2 requires an in-game purchase in order to get cards, or is it just the F2P games that do (Dota and TF2)?
    camo_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they just said FTP games required that.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't even aware you could buy anything for Portal 2 besides the game.
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You should be able to click on your badges page and see which games you can earn drops for.
    KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So, does the "wait til lvl10 before farming for cards" trick work at all? Don't wanna miss my chances of getting one myself.

Well it works because you can't get foils until you are level 10. But unless you have a large amount of years of service and the badges from previous sales you won't be level 10 without actually starting to collect some decks.

Curses. Shouldn't have ignored those badges, I knew they would have a sinister purpose someday.
    The Community Badge is ridiculously easy to get, too; even the second level iteration.
    Sorce on
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I just checked out the steam community, and is Bills Hat for TF2 really selling for over $100? I think I may need to sell it...

Bill's hat is worth around 2 buds, which is worth around $70 ($35 per bud).

I never understood why it's so valuable. Does it make any difference if it's vintage? Mine isn't.
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

The Community Badge is ridiculously easy to get, too; even the second level iteration.

I was counting that one already :(

This gave me hope tho
    What is the point of my Steam Level?
    The Steam Level is a quick way for users to see how much someone has invested in their Steam account, and how valuable that user is to the rest of the Steam Community. We have just a few different ways to get badges right now, but we hope to expand that to include all the different ways users contribute.
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What is the point of my Steam Level?
    The Steam Level is a quick way for users to see how much someone has invested in their Steam account, and how valuable that user is to the rest of the Steam Community. We have just a few different ways to get badges right now, but we hope to expand that to include all the different ways users contribute.

I look forward to my "Spent Several Thousand Dollars" badge.
    Vegan on
    camo_sig.png
  • simacsimac Registered User regular
    When they introduce XP or cards for gifting this thread will go nova.

It's coming I tell you...
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    simac wrote: »

Steam Level: Over 9000!!!!!
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Got all four Half-Life 2 cards by the time I finished Water Hazard. A little bummed it didn't take that long. Also a little bummed I can never get more cards without trading or buying.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    Honestly, the whole TF2 "economy" is ridiculous.
    They're just hats. They don't even do anything.
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Honestly, the whole TF2 "economy" is ridiculous.
    They're just hats. They don't even do anything.

Don't talk like that about those crazy idiots who basically paid for my Brütal Legend, The Witcher 2 and some other games by buying my useless hats!
    steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Todesbart wrote: »
    simac wrote: »

Steam Level: Over 9000!!!!!

No one can tell Handgimp about this.

TARA.gif Click for Steam Profile. WiiU ID: Taramoor
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Have we confirmed if the free weekend of csgo can earn cards?
    steam_sig.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I wonder if I can get cards by idling in Portal 2 on my PS3. Has anyone tried this?
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to getting into this card deal. With the exception of Don't Starve, I haven't played any of the games that award the cards, so it's a win/win for me. (Don't throw rocks at me--I did play HL2 back on 360).
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    Idling on Portal 2 on the PS3 works. I turned it on, went to work, and already have 3 cards.

I guess it'll just stay on until I get home then...
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I... I just sold something on the marketplace. A dupe TF2 medic item I had for .53 cents. I'm aware that's nothing special, but it was seriously easy as hell.

Going forward, I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to resist NOT selling anything that'll fetch a decent price give how simple it was.
    camo_sig2.png
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Got all four Half-Life 2 cards by the time I finished Water Hazard. A little bummed it didn't take that long. Also a little bummed I can never get more cards without trading or buying.
    I probably did too, but I kept going until Ravenholm; I stopped there because we don't go to Ravenholm.

Sorce on
  • TeeManTeeMan Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I probably did too, but I kept going until Ravenholm; I stopped there because we don't go to Ravenholm.

Smart man.
    Steam: TeeMan
    GOG: hellisforheroes
    Tumblr: BrainSpoon
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
  • SteevLSteevL Registered User regular
    I decided to go for the Vorticough achievement in Half-Life 2 last night. Spending the time to do that got me 3 cards: 2 Alyxes, 1 Gordon.

I only have one remaining achievement in HL2, and I don't think I am ever going to bother with that one. Finding all the Lamda caches sounds like a pain in the ass.
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    This appears to be Steam codes for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, bundled, for £4.99 (~$7) . No DLC for NV, sadly, not sure about F3. I know it's been on sale a great many times, but if you're just getting around to it, that's a solid price for both.
    steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    savygamer seems to be saying it's only a steam key for New Vegas, still it's a decent price for both games
    steam_sig.png
  • The MantizThe Mantiz Registered User regular
    I'm already starting to hate this card collecting. Out of my 4 Portal Cards 3 of them were identical :?
    steam_sig.png
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    savygamer seems to be saying it's only a steam key for New Vegas, still it's a decent price for both games

They're right. I keep forgetting Fallout 3 wasn't steamworks.

Head. Desk.
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm mostly immune to the card collecting frenzy stuff, really the only thing i see from the FAQ that we can get out of it are these profile 'showcases'. Which as far as im aware hasnt come out yet, or really been explained. Its a cute new thing, but i see it mostly catching the cheevo-addicts.
    So if my graphics card is indeed dead, can I theoretically replace it using my current setup?

I have a GeForce 8800GT, but I can't find anywhere selling it for semi-cheap. Or should I get a slight upgrade to hold me over until I do a complete overhaul of my computer?
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So if my graphics card is indeed dead, can I theoretically replace it using my current setup?

I have a GeForce 8800GT, but I can't find anywhere selling it for semi-cheap. Or should I get a slight upgrade to hold me over until I do a complete overhaul of my computer?

Its hard to say without knowing your specs. Usually you can upgrade a video card as long as it has the same bus (AGP vs PCI vs PCI-E vs PCI-E 2.0 etc), AND the power supply can support the computer and the video card. power problems are mostly not an issue anymore unless you are going SLI (2 cards) or with a really high end card because the recent trend have been lower power chipsets.

Heres what i suggest. crack your case open and take a picture of the slot your current video card is plugged into, and a picture of the sticker on side your power supply (or just look for the line that say # of watts) bring this to best buy, and show the picture to the geek squad people, asking them what kind of bus that is. Then go to the video card section and look for something moderate like a 440/640 for about 100 bucks that has the same bus. if a card has above average power requirements, it should say it on the box the number of watts your power supply should be . You could do the 'buy it from best buy, then put it in your computer, see if it works for an hour, then return it and order it on newegg or somewhere cheaper' route but i dont think youll pay too much less online.

I'm not at home, but I'm pretty sure it is PCI-E, and my PSU is 550 watt. I'll have to look later.

I figure it'll pay off more to just get a cheap card that has about the same quality and hold off until I start making money to do a full upgrade.
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    i have a couple card beta invites as well if anyone still needs it
    i also have a spare vengeful spirit dota card
    camo_sig.png
    its been awhile since i checked average but i think 550 is a bit above average power supply (I want to say bare min is 400 watts usually on a cheap emachines or something). If thats the correct number you should be good for a moderate card, just dont go nuts with SLI or really high end. Something in the 640 Gforce range should be great and ive seen em pretty cheap (100-130).
    Thanks buddy! I'll do more research and make sure it is the card and nothing else that has died before dropping any bucks.
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    oh anyone have any suggestions. lately my computer will not come back from sleep forcing a hard reset. i turned off the turn hard drive option. I am worried it is a graphics card issue since sometimes it will pop on like it did wake up but the monitor will say input not supported. also the other day it came back to a staticy red like a bad graphics thing

running a 6770/5770 crossfire.

should probably try disabling crossfire to see if that fixes it
    camo_sig.png