Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    What is this card thing people are talking about?

Sheer madness!

also, the War for the Overworld sounds interesting.
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular

It's in beta now but basically:

1) Certain games now drop cards for playing them

2) with some savy trading you get a whole set of cards

3) this makes you a doodad

4) your steam account levels up to give you more way sot show off your doodads.

So TCG + crafting + Leveling = Digital crackThe Valve Card Beta

Though I still think the limited number of cards is kinda silly.
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick is that Borderlands 2 deal a good value. Just for playthrough 1 on one class, that's 25-30 hours of AAA game.

If you can find 3 other people, the 4 pack is $40 and change. $10 for the base game is a preposterous steal. (And hey, there's your coop group. Although it should surprise no one to learn that I am very much in the its-also-great-single-player camp.)

I do agree that no DLC discount is poor form. Krieg just came out, so I can see that. But Mechromancer? C'mon people, throw out a bone!

you're dlc shouldn't cost more than the game :/
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Wait, so cards.

It looks like there's 8 cards per game, but you can only get 4 on your own?

How does that work? do you get 'extra' drops or something? How would you fill out your list?

Also do we know what the time requirements are for drops and if past playtime counts?
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Counterstrike GO is on a free weekend, so I think we can get badges from that?
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Wait, so cards.

It looks like there's 8 cards per game, but you can only get 4 on your own?

How does that work? do you get 'extra' drops or something? How would you fill out your list?

Also do we know what the time requirements are for drops and if past playtime counts?
    The idea would be that once more games are added you could farm cards for sale/trade from games you are not overly interested in to complete sets for games you are interested in.
    Going to be impossible to get them all (unless you buy them I guess)
    steam_sig.png
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular
    Counterstrike GO is on a free weekend, so I think we can get badges from that?

I downloaded and installed, played for a while, and haven't gotten any drops. So I'm unsure, but leaning towards no.
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    They drop fairly quickly. Previous played time doesn't count but we're talking 2 hours and getting all 4 drops.
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I've been in since this morning, but I haven't received my 3 extra invites.
    camo_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright, new goal. Don't Starve badge. Just need 3. I have Dota: Rikimaru, Portal: Chell, Mannequin. I need Willow, Maxwell, and Wolfgang. WHO'S UP FOR TRADIN'
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I'm gonna hold off on BL2, I'm guessing there will be a GOTY edition not too far down the road...
    steam_sig.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Man, my Community badge is fucked. Nothing I did yesterday on it registered, and like 9 out of 10 of the icons are like.. greyed out or something?

I'm only level 6, and I really don't want to waste all my current cards not being able to get foils. :(
    steam_sig.png
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Sweet. My first card is a foil. I guess this means it is all downhill from here.

Sell that shit.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    The community badges are a bit wonky right now
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    I guess I got in to the beta. I have three passes if anyone wants one.
    SELL ALL THE THINGS
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    Zoidberg suggested letting the thread know I'm collecting extra copies of games to give off to the Lady to help her with her library

So here I am
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    How terrible is GFWL with dark souls? Surprisingly I haven't heard anything about GFWL with this game.
    steam_sig.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Anybody want to trade for a Pyro card? I got doubles! Need anything other than that, Soldier, and Sniper.
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    How terrible is GFWL with dark souls? Surprisingly I haven't heard anything about GFWL with this game.
    90% failure rate for summoning/being summoned/invading/being invaded.

• LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular

It's fine. Well, as fine as GFWL can be. It won't do anything useful, but at least it won't really get in your way either.
    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Sheer madness!

also, the War for the Overworld sounds interesting.

Or, we could just link the page.

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/#intro
    r2lsig.jpg
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Registered User regular
    3 invites to the CCG beta if anyone wants. First 3 PMs win.
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    This thread is moving fast, so here's this again!
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I'm still doing this, and I'm gonna keep doing it, until noon EST on Saturday!

signature.png

Open to everyone in the regular PA group. Given that so many other people are giving away the same game though, I think it's fair to say if you win it on someone else's, please take yourself out of the pool.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

So about the same as on PS3. :P
    camo_sig2.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, this isn't actually Steam related, but there isn't really an appropriate thread and Steam Thread is about giving, so hopefully no one minds.

I just got into Simple, and apparently have 2 invites that I would assume will actually get you in. If anyone is interested, let me know. If a bunch of people want in, I'll figure out something, perhaps a fight to the death. :P
    steam_sig.png
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

There's an easy to install mod for that.

It does require another mod to run, but you should install that one anyways, it's the resolution fixer.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Sweet. My first card is a foil. I guess this means it is all downhill from here.

Sell that shit.

I might have to. My graphics card just failed while trying to get another foil. First hour in playing this trading card thing and it broke everything.

Just my luck :(

(I think it is my graphics card. I am not awesome at diagnosing problems.)
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper

Sell that shit.

I might have to. My graphics card just failed while trying to get another foil. First hour in playing this trading card thing and it broke everything.

I don't know if Steam Bucks will get you a new graphics card, but okay.

Anyway, where do we make trade requests? I need a Wolfgang to complete my Don't Starve set. I have a Gordon Freeman to trade.
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

Sell that shit.

I don't know if Steam Bucks will get you a new graphics card, but okay.

Anyway, where do we make trade requests? I need a Wolfgang to complete my Don't Starve set. I have a Gordon Freeman to trade.

Yeah, I have never tried the marketplace. Money saved is money earned though, and Steam money is close enough!
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Pretty much like ME2
    Except way better.
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    Gotten all my Portal 2, TF2, and HL2 drops. No foils, nothing worth much right now.

Debating if it's worth it to buy something in DOTA2 so I can try for some foils there, but with my luck, I'm sure I'd get nothing.

Though, my proposed New Account Card Farming Plan is looking better and better all the time.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    So if you get all 4 of your drops, you can never get cards again for said game? Is that how it works?
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    Got my first card. I really don't understand this.
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    So if you get all 4 of your drops, you can never get cards again for said game? Is that how it works?

So far, yes. Theres been quotes floating around saying there won't be resets on the drop amount, but it isnt confirmed on any website or anything. You get the cards allotted to you per game then you can trade ones you don't want for ones you do. Theres 5 levels of badges, so you'd need 5x however many you need for the first badge per game.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    First World Steam Problems: I want to play Alpha Protocol so I can finish it but it doesn't drop any cards! D:
    camo_sig2.png