Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I just got my trading card access email but I don't see anything different, and I don't have invites in my inventory. Is there a delay after you get the email?
    camo_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks License Number 137596Registered User regular
    Let's say hypothetically you were very, very stressed out. Let's say you've been the only person in your department at work repeatedly for the past few weeks, you've got some money things from your past that just reared their ugly heads, you're so overworked that you spend 8 hours a day with your stomach in a tight knot, you have a certification test next week you really aren't prepared for, it's the end of the school year for your kid and wife meaning tons of events and expenses, and just basically you're a complete wreck of a person running on caffeine and little sleep. What games would folks play during a partial day off to relax? Something completely non-competitive and no sense of urgency involved - the opposite of on online shooter, or bit.trip runner or Dungeon Hearts for example. Something that would help you recharge a bit. Something insanely cheap or already in my library due to aforementioned financial surprises.

I was thinking Dear Esther or Farming Sim seemed very mellow, but what else might folks recommend?

Serious Sam HD on Tourist (the easiest) difficulty.

Yeah, it's a shooter, but nothing is better for alleviating stress than mowing down wave after wave after wave of enemies with a giant chaingun.

I've got some errands to run, but I'd be down for some co-op later if you're interested.
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Saaruto wrote: »
    CS:GO finally on sale...my patience has been rewarded! Also, Mass Effect collection on sale for $10...is this a steal?

Not really. ME frequently goes on sale for $5; ME2 is certainly worth $5, but keep in mind that it comes with no DLC, and that shit never goes on sale; and 2 has a ton.

If you've never played the ME games, by all means go for it. But if you're just looking for copies on the PC...either hold out until EA finally releases 'ultimate' editions for 2 & 3, or just wait and catch a copy of the Trilogy on sale (it's been as low as $20 for all 3 games various times in various places...Origin though...but that's the only place to get 3).

I forgot that it wasn't all 3. Fuck that :(!
    If you can chill, chill.
    SC2: Topp.924
    Steam ID
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular
    For those of you not in the TCG beta yet, they just announced that they're sending out an additional 10,000 invites soon. So, hopefully y'all will get in.

and then trade me for cards
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I will point out that ME3 is on sale through amazon right now for $5.99 which seems like a pretty good deal.
    Ed Gruberman on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm CS:GO is free this weekend. I wonder if we can get cards during this, without actually paying for the game.
    camo_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Sweet, Stardew Valley got greenlit.

All this money I'm throwing at the screen will actually do something soon.

Why can I not awesome this more than once?

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    I will point out that ME3 is on sale through amazon right now for $5.99 which seems like a pretty good deal.

That is an excellent deal.

I hate this. I hate wanting to buy the PC versions of the ME games, but knowing that zomg DLC prices. Even if I could get the base games for $15 total; that's still like...what...over a hundred more bucks for all the DLCs?

You don't have to have the DLC's obviously; but after having played the whole series on the 360, and having played all the DLC's, I just don't think I could not have them again, knowing what they add.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Let's say hypothetically you were very, very stressed out. Let's say you've been the only person in your department at work repeatedly for the past few weeks, you've got some money things from your past that just reared their ugly heads, you're so overworked that you spend 8 hours a day with your stomach in a tight knot, you have a certification test next week you really aren't prepared for, it's the end of the school year for your kid and wife meaning tons of events and expenses, and just basically you're a complete wreck of a person running on caffeine and little sleep. What games would folks play during a partial day off to relax? Something completely non-competitive and no sense of urgency involved - the opposite of on online shooter, or bit.trip runner or Dungeon Hearts for example. Something that would help you recharge a bit. Something insanely cheap or already in my library due to aforementioned financial surprises.

I was thinking Dear Esther or Farming Sim seemed very mellow, but what else might folks recommend?

Yeah, it's a shooter, but nothing is better for alleviating stress than mowing down wave after wave after wave of enemies with a giant chaingun.

I've got some errands to run, but I'd be down for some co-op later if you're interested.

Thanks - but my day off isn't until tomorrow. Tonight is family night - gonna check out what my son did on the new Minecraft server we setup, watch some TV together, etc. Tomorrow I took off to study, but I'm also going to play a few rounds to try to recharge a bit. It's been probably the roughest patch I've had for awhile in terms of stress levels so some multiplayer over my 3 day weekend would be great.
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular

Thanks - but my day off isn't until tomorrow. Tonight is family night - gonna check out what my son did on the new Minecraft server we setup, watch some TV together, etc. Tomorrow I took off to study, but I'm also going to play a few rounds to try to recharge a bit. It's been probably the roughest patch I've had for awhile in terms of stress levels so some multiplayer over my 3 day weekend would be great.

NFS:Hot Pursuit in Free Drive Mode.
    FTL
    Minecraft
    Terraria
    Saint's Row 3
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    This version of ME3 is also available for $8.99 which seems to include some of the DLC at least

I hate this. I hate wanting to buy the PC versions of the ME games, but knowing that zomg DLC prices. Even if I could get the base games for $15 total; that's still like...what...over a hundred more bucks for all the DLCs?

You don't have to have the DLC's obviously; but after having played the whole series on the 360, and having played all the DLC's, I just don't think I could not have them again, knowing what they add.

I don't know if this helps or not, but Amazon recently started selling Bioware points. Perhaps they'll go on sale at some point? The reason I like it is because freebie Amazon giftcards are pretty easy to get. Linky
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gah. I want to buy Dark Souls from amazon for steam, but I just dropped like $50 for rocksmith plus cable (SINCE I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED THE GODDAMN SPECIFIC CABLE AND NOT THE SIX DOLLAR ONE.)

Plus... you know, a couple hundo for the guitar.

Odds it'll be on sale similarly during summer dale?
    Darkewolfe on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »

I don't know if this helps or not, but Amazon recently started selling Bioware points. Perhaps they'll go on sale at some point? The reason I like it is because freebie Amazon giftcards are pretty easy to get. Linky

Yeah, I did see that. Interesting that they're selling the points as the DLC's. Kinda an odd way of doing it, and hopefully means it's more likely to go on sale than, say, Microsoft points.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Gah. I want to buy Dark Souls from amazon for steam, but I just dropped like $50 for rocksmith plus cable (SINCE I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED THE GODDAMN SPECIFIC CABLE AND NOT THE SIX DOLLAR ONE.)

Plus... you know, a couple hundo for the guitar.

Odds it'll be on sale similarly during summer dale?

Hopefully. I can't get it now either, so I'm heavily banking on the Summer Dale being a merciful creature.
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished Tomb Raider, really enjoyed it. I rolled the dice on my backlog and came up with Crysis Warhead. Was it any good?
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    I have a pair of Pyro cards to trade, if anyone wants to trade for any TF2 cards other than sniper and soldier.
    steam_sig.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight, I don't actually have to play the game, just leave them running and I'll get cards? Is there a max number of cards you can get for a game, or it just keeps generating more as I play?
    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan)
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    What's the link for the group that you join to get the beta invite to get the cards that you trade for the games that sit in your gamebank and collect digital dust?
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, I don't actually have to play the game, just leave them running and I'll get cards? Is there a max number of cards you can get for a game, or it just keeps generating more as I play?

Seems you can get 4 or 5 cards per game and that is the entirety of what you'll get. Possibly ever. I'm sure that means you can trade your half of your portal cards for the other half of the half life 2 cards or whatever, but it does make me sad that I couldn't possibly get a full set of everything unless I paid money.
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    ArcSyn wrote: »

First, check your badges tab, make sure you're set up to get the cards. If the badge is there it will tell you how many drops you can get for each game. As of right now the drops you get are all that you get. To get the remaining cards you will have to buy or trade for them. There is currently an issue with TF2 and DOTA2 where if you are F2P, you don't get drops even if you purchase something. Idling does get you drops in the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards is the link to the group, there is also a FAQ there.
    Krummith on
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    There should be a way to light a signal and let people know what cards you have/want
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    There should be a way to light a signal and let people know what cards you have/want

You can add a box to your profile page showcasing what you have to trade.
    Also, if you drill down on a card set, it will tell you whom among your friends have the cards you're missing.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I'd pick up borderlands 2, but I never made it more than an hour or 2 into the first one.
    steam_sig.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Does Dark Souls require require Games For Windows Live?
    steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm on to you Steam! I joined the trading card group yesterday but I didn't get my email until just now. It came immediately after my purchase confirmation for Rising Storm.

Shenanigans! :P

Lucky!
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, it costs $20 to get the other 2 Borderlands 2 classes? Toss that.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Any chance I could get a G+T invite? And if not what I need to do to get one?
    camo_sig2.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Anyone interested in a 50% OFF Euro Truck Simulator 2 coupon? That's what I get for crafting badges from cards. (Valid until 5/30/2013)
    Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    I'd pick up borderlands 2, but I never made it more than an hour or 2 into the first one.

I maintain that the Borderlands games are terrific multiplayer fun, but absolute shit if you're playing singleplayer. There is almost nothing fun about the gameplay solo; between bullet sponge enemies and praying for drops to deal with that, the game is a slog. Sure, it's funny and looks great, but actually playing it is a chore. Unless you've got a posse.

Counterpoint: I put in 200+ hours playing BL1 solo. And you at least owe it to yourself to play Zombie Island.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Actually you can get all the cards without having to pay any real money, it's just gonna involved a bunch of marketplace flipping. Buy low/Sell high. I'm currently doing this with the Beta Invites using money earned selling cards and items created when crafting a badge.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Not sure if posted or not but new greenlight titles: http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569781302750532884

Pretty good bunch this time. Stardew Valley, Game Dev Tycoon, Riot, and Legends of Eisenwald, Bleed, and The Legend.
    steam_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Not sure if posted or not but new greenlight titles: http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569781302750532884

Pretty good bunch this time. Stardew Valley, Game Dev Tycoon, Riot, and Legends of Eisenwald, Bleed, and The Legend.

I've been waiting for Stardew Valley and I kickstarted Legends of Eisenwald... so today was a good day.
    camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Does Dark Souls require require Games For Windows Live?

Not necessarily. You could play offline if you wanted to, but there's no fun in avoiding being ganked by complete strangers/ganking complete strangers.
    KoopahTroopah on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So yeah, if anyone has the chell, destruction or the lab cards, I'm probably not going to finish TF2 between having a dupe and a foil so I can part with my demoman, medic and engineer cards. And I have an extra Freeman too
    camo_sig2.png
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Wait, it costs $20 to get the other 2 Borderlands 2 classes? Toss that.

This puts me off of the DLC tremendously, its like I pick up items that say "only usable by mecromancer" and find out it costs me $9.99 to unlock that and it really changes my mood on getting the DLC. lolo gifted me borderlands (1 and 2) and I enjoyed the everloving shit out of both of them and just recently started getting into multiplayer and have been debating on picking up the DLC when it goes on sale but shelling out $20 for two new classes is so off putting to me. I'd consider it if it was $5 for both of those class types and even if it was $5 for one I might consider it but it just goes against every thing I really stand for in terms of DLC so I'll end up not getting it till it drops into that price range.

It really is a shame that they did that, I understand "pre-order bonuses" and incentives but $10 for a single class is pushing it. It should have been unlocked for those who preordered and then either unlocked when people beat the game or unlocked a few months down the road for people.
    steam_sig.png
  • shdwcastershdwcaster Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Actually you can get all the cards without having to pay any real money, it's just gonna involved a bunch of marketplace flipping. Buy low/Sell high. I'm currently doing this with the Beta Invites using money earned selling cards and items created when crafting a badge.

Or, if you're L10 or better, having a bit of luck and pulling a Foil version of one of the cards. Those are currently commanding a pretty hefty premium on the marketplace right now, so sell that, and buy the rest of the set that you need for completion.

"Quote me as being mis-quoted." -- Groucho Marx
    camo_sig2.png
    PSN/Xbox Live: shdwcaster
    My Backloggery
    My Goodreads. Like a Backloggery for books.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ...so @Dyvim Tvar just sidestepped the exchange I offered and just out and outright sent me a key for Risen 2 no questions asked.

Goddamn, the class here is overwhelming. Thanks, man!

EDIT. how do you @ properly with two word names?
    Drascin on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Just want to point out, that while it's on Origin, Amazon has the Command & Conquer collection for 10 bucks here.

Here's what's in the collection:
    Command & Conquer
    Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
    Command & Conquer Red Alert
    Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
    Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
    Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
    Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
    Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
    Command & Conquer Renegade
    Command & Conquer Generals