Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I need to do a trade for my community badge, anyone want to do a swap back and forth? I don't really have any giveaway items I can actually trade atm.

I'll have to wait until tonight, as I don't have Steam access on my work pc.
    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan)
  • IoloIolo Registered User regular
    The Amazon sale has a dedicated callout of select games available as Steam codes.

That is a very promising step towards the desired end step pf being able to search Amazon digital games by Steam activation.
    steam_sig.png

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Portal 2 Spoiler:
    The entire scene when you trade GLADOS for Wheatley is incredibly uncomfortable. The screams. And then it starts being funny again once you start falling.

Good job Valve.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions Registered User regular
    I have 2 engi cards if someone wants to trade
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So I found console commands to skip ahead in Half Life 2 to match where I was on the 360. Couldn't find my Orange Box disc to fire up my save, but based on areas I recognized, I was at least half way through the prison. And based on what maps are left (as I browsed console commands) I've been <2 hours from completing HL2 for about 2 years now. Think I'll finish it up today and grab my 4 cards.

So, HL2, DOTA 2, CSGO and Portal 2 are the relevant card games?
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    And Don't Starve.

I'm glad Cuvis mentioned the X-Men cards. I loved this growing up and I have that same "gotta collect 'em all" feeling with Steam cards.
    sig.gif

2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    So putting -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload in the the launch options for HL2 launches it in a command window but still counts as running the game. I got my last 2 cards this morning with it running this way. I'm assuming it also works with Portal 2 and maybe CS:GO.
    It's a little more complicated in TF2.
    image-1_zpsdcb9eee1.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Why do you need all the fancy console commands? Just boot the game up, and alt+tab to do something else.
    Alt-Tab crashes HL2 for me. And google says that's a common problem.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Thrack wrote: »
    So putting -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload in the the launch options for HL2 launches it in a command window but still counts as running the game. I got my last 2 cards this morning with it running this way. I'm assuming it also works with Portal 2 and maybe CS:GO.

And so begins the search for loopholes to collect the cards, which are meant to be rewards for playing the games, instead of actually playing the games.

Because who needs motivation to enjoy incredibly polished experiences when there are cards to be collected!?

For me this problem went away as soon as I disabled V-sync.
    edited May 2013
    Oh hey, so Metal Gear Rising is getting a PC port. I know that'll make a lot of people here happy.

:shock: :D

Dear Hideo, MGS4 please.
    DoctorArch wrote: »

For me this problem went away as soon as I disabled V-sync.
    Its disabled for me :/
    bloodatonement on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Just texted manager to say that I won't be able to make it in tonight as I'm worse than yesterday. Can't sit up or walk. Awaiting the reply to sayi have to go in :(

Worse thing is that I can't play anything. Metro released but haven't touched it. Not even installed.
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So I got the email that said I'm in the trading card beta, and it said I have three invites to give out, but when I go to my inventory I don't see anything. Do they take a couple days to actually show up or what?
    steam_sig.png
    WiiU NNID: BigDookie
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular
    Why do you need all the fancy console commands? Just boot the game up, and alt+tab to do something else.

If you try to run multiple Source games, they complain and won't let you. Not so if you run them in text mode. So you can idle multiple games at the same time that way.
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

And so begins the search for loopholes to collect the cards, which are meant to be rewards for playing the games, instead of actually playing the games.

Because who needs motivation to enjoy incredibly polished experiences when there are cards to be collected!?

hopefully this is what beta is for. to find ways people are cheating the system and block it.

What im confused about is steam level. I've had an account for 8 years, have tons games, yet my friend whos kinda new to steam (and doesnt buy so much, doesnt have many games), is higher level then i am.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Portal 2 Spoiler:
    The entire scene when you trade GLADOS for Wheatley is incredibly uncomfortable. The screams. And then it starts being funny again once you start falling.

Good job Valve.

Incidentally there was apparently initially a scene scripted for later where
    Catherine is being forcibly 'uploaded' into a computer to be turned into GLADOS; and it supposedly had such a forceful rape-y vibe that J.K. Simmons straight up refused to record Caves part of the interaction which led the Portal 2 writers to realize that yeah...that was a fucking stupid idea, and dropped it. Well, they obviously kept that Catherine is GLADOS, just minus that audio segment.

I'm casually playing through the commentaries and I hope they touch on that. I've actually been disappointed at how long some of the stretches you go without commentary are.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    Don't get mad at me, but since my days of TF2 are kinda behind me (not to mention I just don't have the time right now to actually sit down and shoot some mans); can someone tell me if you have to be in a server to get cards or can you just load the game up and sit there at the menu?
    The Dude With Herpes on
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Don't get mad at me, but since my days of TF2 are kinda behind me (not to mention I just don't have the time right now to actually sit down and shoot some mans); can someone tell me if you have to be in a server to get cards or can you just load the game up and sit there at the menu?

You need to rent a card combine from the TF2 Tools Store only $19.99 per hour
    Box Live: TIFunkalicious
    LoL: Nerf Love
    Steam: TIFunk
    Portal 2 Spoiler:

Good job Valve.

Incidentally there was apparently initially a scene scripted for later where
    Catherine is being forcibly 'uploaded' into a computer to be turned into GLADOS; and it supposedly had such a forceful rape-y vibe that J.K. Simmons straight up refused to record Caves part of the interaction which led the Portal 2 writers to realize that yeah...that was a fucking stupid idea, and dropped it. Well, they obviously kept that Catherine is GLADOS, just minus that audio segment.

I'm casually playing through the commentaries and I hope they touch on that. I've actually been disappointed at how long some of the stretches you go without commentary are.

Yeah, I think her part of that is available on the internet. It's pretty horrifying.
    Add the following to your launch options
    -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw -maxplayers 2 +sv_lan 1 +map "itemtest"
    This is also useful for getting your weekly item and crate drops
    image-1_zpsdcb9eee1.png
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw -maxplayers 2 +sv_lan 1 +map "itemtest"

I'm totally quoting this so I can find it easier when I get home from work.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png

I also just loaded up a private TF2 server and idled while I worked. Got all the cards that way.

Update: If you haven't gotten in on it yet, the BeMine8 bundle continues to be a really fantastic bundle. They just added Blades of Time Limited Edition (Steam Key) as one of the two secret games, and it looks like Karateka will be unlocked as a bonus either today or tomorrow.

So for 5 bucks you get the following Steam games: Patrician IV & Expansion, Slam Bolt Scrappers, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Blood Bowl Legendary Edition, Drakensang & Blades of Time.
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Thanks @oakke for the card beta invite! Wonderful thing to wake up to on a day off.
    camo_sig2.png
    What the fuck is wrong with me.

Now I'm looking at games that I was playing a day ago perfectly happily and now feeling like "eh...they don't have cards..."

Damn you Newell! DAMN YOU!!!!!
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    What the fuck is wrong with me.

Now I'm looking at games that I was playing a day ago perfectly happily and now feeling like "eh...they don't have cards..."

Damn you Newell! DAMN YOU!!!!!

I think it's a bummer more games aren't supported and that it's not retroactive. I was playing a bunch of Sanctum last night and knowing I was only going to be rewarded with the enjoyment of the game and not cards.
    I hope it's a thing devs pick up on and add to old games, and fast.

I know it's abusable with idling; but it's still beta; but what a potentially great way to get people playing old games again.

It's like the potato game; but better.
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Would love a card invite if anyone has any free.
    Steam: Dr. Mark Sloan - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mere_immortal - 3DS: 0748-1545-6684
    edited May 2013
    How do you get invites to hand out? I got my invite last night; do they just give you more eventually or is it more limited?

Also, and I don't necessarily recommend it (though it does satisfy one of the community badge things...) you can buy an invite on the market for like a dime.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    New release? DRAGON'S LAIR!

Is your body ready?
    SQyjER8.jpg

Edit - Duke Nukem 3D is the daily, cause someone, somewhere, might not have a dozen copies of it in various forms already.
    Blendtec on
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Got all four Half-Life 2 cards by the time I finished Water Hazard. A little bummed it didn't take that long. Also a little bummed I can never get more cards without trading or buying.

My first four cards turned out be a Gordon and three Metro Cops. Oh dear.
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    Oh hey. Now it's actually kinda worth buying on steam.

Still not buying it, since it's not really worth it since I have the GOG release, and the expansions are bad.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gonna buy Duke Nukem 3D with my coupon.

Awww yeah.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I've still got two, 75% off vouchers for Shogun 2 if anyone wants them.
  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    I am sure cards will be as prevalent as achievements in the next 12 months.
    sig.gif

2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    If they can get them awarded retroactively, that's fine. If not, then that's a problem.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    GMG is having a BL2 sale this weekend as well. The nice part is that using the code GMG30-JLLFD-2CQSV will net you 30% off the Season Pass and the new Psycho DLC.
    camo_sig2.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    If they can get them awarded retroactively, that's fine. If not, then that's a problem.

..how is it a problem? Its a free feature.
    steam_sig.png
    The 'Series 1' on the cards makes me think there is going to be a cut-off date. When 'Series 2' launches then 'Series 1' stops dropping, etc. Also the cards are deleted when you craft a badge, right? That way you can collect the set again and level up your badge? That limits the number of cards in the wild as well.
    image-1_zpsdcb9eee1.png