Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    if you just need any 3x3 X, then populate the lower two rows with zeroes and then set the top row to be each row of C divided by each row of A
    ronya on
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The internet makes us better people.

On the other hand...

200px-Stop_Kony_2012_poster.png

That was a silly, forced idea that belied why the internet is even beneficial. It tried to over-simplify an issue for mass consumption to make it an easy sell.

The real benefit of the internet comes from the level of intellectual engagement people will just glom onto organically.

If we really wanted to stop Kony, we just need to give more Ugandan's internet access.

Of course for the good things the internet does, there are bad things.

I don't think the internet makes us better people. It is just used by people to do good or harm as they would otherwise; with the added reach that the internet gives them.

Actually, speaking strictly for myself, I would say that the Internet has certainly made me a better academic (to whatever extent I fit in that category). Like I can't imagine a time before Google Scholar or JSTOR or Wikipedia (for source aggregation!). I can't imagine having to actually try to glean information from Books, like some kind of Savage.

I'm gonna take your degree away.

You say this like sources on the internet aren't 5,000 times better than sources in your library.

If I wanted to know information about the gene ID4 I look it up on wikipedia. There isn't a book in the whole fucking library that would be half as helpful.

I was more referring to dramatically increasing my access to conventional academic papers, primary sources, and otherwise difficult-to-access data (say from national or local governments).
    network_sig2.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    THIS BOTTLE OF SCOTCH WILL NOT OPEN

MY KINGDOM FOR A SABER

OR I GUESS AN OPEN BOTTLE OF SCOTCH
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Has anyone used wiki software, in particular any of the "lightweight" systems around?

I'm wondering if there's any advantage in any of them over Mediawiki given that I have a working and configured LAMP server, since most of them seem to cite the fact that they don't require one as points in their favour.

@japan I like DokuWiki. Light and simple, the current version of an article is a plain text file. No database needed.

https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

On the other hand...

That was a silly, forced idea that belied why the internet is even beneficial. It tried to over-simplify an issue for mass consumption to make it an easy sell.

The real benefit of the internet comes from the level of intellectual engagement people will just glom onto organically.

If we really wanted to stop Kony, we just need to give more Ugandan's internet access.

I don't think the internet makes us better people. It is just used by people to do good or harm as they would otherwise; with the added reach that the internet gives them.

Actually, speaking strictly for myself, I would say that the Internet has certainly made me a better academic (to whatever extent I fit in that category). Like I can't imagine a time before Google Scholar or JSTOR or Wikipedia (for source aggregation!). I can't imagine having to actually try to glean information from Books, like some kind of Savage.

You say this like sources on the internet aren't 5,000 times better than sources in your library.

If I wanted to know information about the gene ID4 I look it up on wikipedia. There isn't a book in the whole fucking library that would be half as helpful.

You must have some pretty shitty libraries if nothing in it is more helpful than wikipedia.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Poop emergency
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The internet gives us access to an insane amount of information, like never before.

And it lets us interact meaningfully with people in different countries, all around the world, like never before.

Both of these are pretty huge net positives for humanity, imo.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Duel of Champions not letting you have the same card in multiple decks is silly artificial scarcity bullshit.

I'm fine with random boosters and shit; that's the business model. But goddamnit, locking a digital card into a deck instead of letting me use cards in several decks?
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Also all those electronic journals? Yeah, they'd be made of paper twenty years ago.

So that's not really a new thing. It's not like pre 1992 academics were just consulting the encyclopedia britannica and calling it a day.

The internet is a tool, not a driver.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    So annoyed my best friend didn't get a senior pass because she's stupid. She can't go to any of the events and is getting all defensive and pissy. She could buy in to any of the events for like $10-20, but she's all "I don't think it's worth it." Bitch, it's worth it to have fun and get drunk with your friends this week.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Ugh, my ex just called me at work.

Which she probably figured out by Googlestalking me.

Ugh.

Edit: Maybe she's reading this! I don't know!

You really shouldn't put personal info online.

Your friend,
    Dave
    Echo wrote: »
    Duel of Champions not letting you have the same card in multiple decks is silly artificial scarcity bullshit.

I'm fine with random boosters and shit; that's the business model. But goddamnit, locking a digital card into a deck instead of letting me use cards in several decks?

Wow, I think that just killed the budding interest I had in that game.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    a one-point badass challenge is unobtainable by the new character in borderlands 2
    Hey guys,

This is because we made Krieg's mass heavier than the other characters. The change was so that many of the enemies (notably the loaders) could not create situations where you could not be effective with Krieg's action skill because they would knock you back so far that you could not get a hit in on them when you closed to melee range.

The unfortunate side effect is that the impulse on the geyser is not enough to get you up as far when you are playing Krieg. It was a trade well worth making since the entire character was frustrating and unfun before this change.

Thanks,
    Paul Hellquist
    BL2 Creative Director and Lead Designer for Krieg
    a trade well worth it? worth what? not being able to get all challenges for the area because of that? Not being able to get some CUlt of the Vault challenges as well?? I don't really like that explanation.

GAMERS
    Per3th.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

On the other hand...

It also has some serious issues of governance that make its reliability questionable.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    Basically the internet is neutral. It is all about how you use it. A hammer can either build a house or kill a hooker. The choice is yours.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    if you just need any 3x3 X, then populate the lower two rows with zeroes and then set the top row to be each row of C divided by each row of A

no that won't do it, there really are 9 unique variables to solve for in X, so I need to create more equations i think
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Oh man, finally getting around to streaming the new daft punk.

YES YES YES YES YES THIS IS WHAT I WANT
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    So annoyed my best friend didn't get a senior pass because she's stupid. She can't go to any of the events and is getting all defensive and pissy. She could buy in to any of the events for like $10-20, but she's all "I don't think it's worth it." Bitch, it's worth it to have fun and get drunk with your friends this week.

So worth it
    Tell your friend your college grad friend says its worth it

Hell, we even had this senior event at some fancy place with open bar and it was a lil expensive and I rented a tux for it
    And I was kinda reluctant to go, and I was so glad I did
    Some ppl did not go

It's the end of college you gotta do all the stuff
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.
    network_sig2.png
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    Also all those electronic journals? Yeah, they'd be made of paper twenty years ago.

So that's not really a new thing. It's not like pre 1992 academics were just consulting the encyclopedia britannica and calling it a day.

Would you say there are technologies where this isn't true?
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
    Basically the internet is neutral. It is all about how you use it. A hammer can either build a house or kill a hooker. The choice is yours.

But you just listed two good things for the hammer...?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

God help you if the journal isn't at the library. The problem of things not being on the internet is slowly and surely being solved.

Tools can be drivers of change.
    redx wrote: »

Where the tool is neutral and it's about how you use it?

Probably not. Unless you invent a Murder Kittens and Children ray, then I guess that's not very neutral.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    I can't believe Geth agreed we voted out of racial guilt.

If anything, I voted out of racial brotherhood.

God what a bitch.

I hate her so much.
    network_sig2.png
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

where
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The internet gives us access to an insane amount of information, like never before.

And it lets us interact meaningfully with people in different countries, all around the world, like never before.

Both of these are pretty huge net positives for humanity, imo.

Information in of itself is of limited utility. In fact, availability of raw information can have an entrenching effect.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    Also I'm saying this now as I'm getting photos in my timehop from those events
    3 years ago

Boat cruise pic came up today
    Couscous wrote: »

God help you if the journal isn't at the library. The problem of things not being on the internet is slowly and surely being solved.

Tools can be drivers of change.

Do you think I am arguing that the internet is bad?
    Lh96QHG.png

But you just listed two good things for the hammer...?

My god
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    Variable wrote: »

where

iTunes! (For free!)
    Inquisitor on
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    THIS BOTTLE OF SCOTCH WILL NOT OPEN

MY KINGDOM FOR A SABER

OR I GUESS AN OPEN BOTTLE OF SCOTCH

I was walking by a shoe store today, and they had a sword chilling by the shoes. Really fancy, too, covered in (fake) gems and super shiny. What the fuck.
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Probably not. Unless you invent a Murder Kittens and Children ray, then I guess that's not very neutral.

How about pasteurization and penicillin?

edit: I'm not really sure if I have a point about those, but they seem pretty universally positive.
    redx on
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

where

iTunes! (For free!)

oh shit, awesome thanks
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png

How about pasteurization and penicillin?

I don't like giving my children autism, thank you very much. Read about that on the internet.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    so where should i put my github on a resume angling for an internship? under contact info and stuff? or under the profile/skills section?
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Availability of raw information reduces to pictures of cats doing funny or cute things
    Echo wrote: »

Wow, I think that just killed the budding interest I had in that game.

I'll probably drop it the second Hearthstone is out.
This discussion has been closed.