Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what should I make for dinner tonight!

healthy plz

for one person

Salad with grilled chicken and mandarin orange supremes. Some sort of nuts, like toasted pine nuts or something that isn't hella expensive.

redx on
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Honestly, the only remix albums I recall liking were Reanimation (Linkin Park), aMotion, and Intimacy Remixed (Bloc Party).
    network_sig2.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    The internet makes us better people.
    If I were to put my money on the single most important exogenous cause of the Rights Revolutions, it would be the technologies that made ideas and people increasingly mobile. The decades of the Rights Revolutions were the decades of the electronics revolutions: television, transistor radios, cable, satellite, long-distance telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, the Internet, cell phones, text messaging, Web video. They were the decades of the interstate highway, high-speed rail, and the jet airplane. They were the decades of the unprecedented growth in higher education and in the endless frontier of scientific research. Less well known is that they were also the decades of an explosion in book publishing. From 1960 to 2000, the annual number of books published in the United States increased almost fivefold.

I've mentioned the connection before. The Humanitarian Revolution came out of the Republic of Letters, and the Long Peace and New Peace were children of the Global Village. And remember what went wrong in the Islamic world: it may have been a rejection of the printing press and a resistance to the importation of books and the ideas they contain.

Why should the spread of ideas and people result in reforms that lower violence? There are several pathways. The most obvious is the debunking of ignorance and superstition. A connected and educated populace, at least in aggregate over the long run, is bound to be disabused of poisonous beliefs, such as that members of other races and ethnicities and innately avaricious or perfidious; that economic and military misfortunes are caused by the treachery of ethnic minorities; that women don't mind being raped; that children must be beaten to be socialized; that people choose to be homosexual as part of a morally degenerate lifestyle; that animals are incapable of feeling pain. The recent debunking of beliefs that invite or tolerate violence calls to mind Voltaire's quip that those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I would be interested in some good data on how liberalizing the internet is. We like to think of nerds as tending towards very libertarian viewpoints, but anecdotally, I've found that in most of the online communities I've participated in they all take a very strong leftward push over time. I know a lot of us here who started out highly conservative or downright Randian and had their views radically changed over time. Even those who are still conservative tend to soften or at least grow more sophisticated in their viewpoints over time when there's an equally strong pressure to just dig in and double down. Personally, I think every aspect of my beliefs has been immensely altered by the internet (when I was very young I was deeply religious, pro-life, conservative, anti-feminist), and you can almost track the development of my beliefs to the amount of internet access I had. While I have had a necessarily extremely limited exposure to the variety of different internet communities out there, Penny Arcade, reddit, somethingawful, and tumblr all seem to track excessively liberal. Even 4chan is now far more liberal than ever (for what it's worth).

Yes, the internet allows bastions of like-minded people to simply generate cut-off echo chambers, but that's no different than the world without the internet. What I finds happens is that these sorts of communities are seldom left alone, nor do people shy away from exposing themselves to opposing viewpoints (even if they are taking them from a position of ridicule). People love to argue on the internet, they just can't get enough of debating. And the more people have argued on the internet the more sophisticated their tactics are forced to become. We regularly casually embroils ourselves in arguments that require citing sources and avoiding rhetorical fallacies and taking good-faith measures if we want to be taken seriously. This is absurdly far beyond the level of discussion you will ever have with a stranger on the street, but the trend in discussion forums across the board has been towards a straight-up academic level of debate with random strangers from half-way across the world. It's not merely an arena of ideas, it is a thunderdome.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    yo if i have matrix [X] is 3x3, matrix [A] is 3x1 and matrix [C] is 3x1

i wanna solve for [X]

where [X] * [A] = [C] and [A] and [C] are known

how do?
    Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    yo if i have matrix [X] is 3x3, matrix [A] is 3x1 and matrix B is 3x1

i wanna solve for [X]

where [X] * [A] = and [A] and are known

how do?

potato

MAYBE radish
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    yo if i have matrix [X] is 3x3, matrix [A] is 3x1 and matrix B is 3x1

i wanna solve for [X]

where [X] * [A] = and [A] and are known

how do?

first, select your pistol

then, select your matrix
    NO.
    Winky wrote: »

On the other hand...

200px-Stop_Kony_2012_poster.png
    network_sig2.png
    apparantly [ B ] is some stupid code thingy so i edited my post to make more sense
    apparantly [ B ] is some stupid code thingy so i edited my post to make more sense

well that changes everything

Ginger root
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

healthy plz

for one person

what do you have for food? I will give you a good idea.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I wonder whether anyone is going to call me out for inconsistency.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

healthy plz

for one person

I'm going to the store in a bit so

I should specify not chicken
    NO.

healthy plz

for one person

do you think, as a white male, you can truly understand the struggle of cooking healthy?
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    was hoping new daft punk would be on spotify :(
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
    Variable wrote: »

it's not out yet. they have get lucky on there so I suppose it will be when it's out?
    NO.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

healthy plz

for one person

I'm going to the store in a bit so

I should specify not chicken

I am going to have brown rice, broccoli, and tilapia when I get home from my run later tonight.
    Lh96QHG.png
    ronya wrote: »
    I wonder whether anyone is going to call me out for inconsistency.

ronya you were furrit before you were agginnit.

How do you plead??
    network_sig2.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    If I were to put my money on the single most important exogenous cause of the Rights Revolutions, it would be the technologies that made ideas and people increasingly mobile. The decades of the Rights Revolutions were the decades of the electronics revolutions: television, transistor radios, cable, satellite, long-distance telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, the Internet, cell phones, text messaging, Web video. They were the decades of the interstate highway, high-speed rail, and the jet airplane. They were the decades of the unprecedented growth in higher education and in the endless frontier of scientific research. Less well known is that they were also the decades of an explosion in book publishing. From 1960 to 2000, the annual number of books published in the United States increased almost fivefold.

I've mentioned the connection before. The Humanitarian Revolution came out of the Republic of Letters, and the Long Peace and New Peace were children of the Global Village. And remember what went wrong in the Islamic world: it may have been a rejection of the printing press and a resistance to the importation of books and the ideas they contain.

Why should the spread of ideas and people result in reforms that lower violence? There are several pathways. The most obvious is the debunking of ignorance and superstition. A connected and educated populace, at least in aggregate over the long run, is bound to be disabused of poisonous beliefs, such as that members of other races and ethnicities and innately avaricious or perfidious; that economic and military misfortunes are caused by the treachery of ethnic minorities; that women don't mind being raped; that children must be beaten to be socialized; that people choose to be homosexual as part of a morally degenerate lifestyle; that animals are incapable of feeling pain. The recent debunking of beliefs that invite or tolerate violence calls to mind Voltaire's quip that those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I would be interested in some good data on how liberalizing the internet is. We like to think of nerds as tending towards very libertarian viewpoints, but anecdotally, I've found that in most of the online communities I've participated in they all take a very strong leftward push over time. I know a lot of us here who started out highly conservative or downright Randian and had their views radically changed over time. Even those who are still conservative tend to soften or at least grow more sophisticated in their viewpoints over time when there's an equally strong pressure to just dig in and double down. Personally, I think every aspect of my beliefs has been immensely altered by the internet (when I was very young I was deeply religious, pro-life, conservative, anti-feminist), and you can almost track the development of my beliefs to the amount of internet access I had. While I have had a necessarily extremely limited exposure to the variety of different internet communities out there, Penny Arcade, reddit, somethingawful, and tumblr all seem to track excessively liberal. Even 4chan is now far more liberal than ever (for what it's worth).

Yes, the internet allows bastions of like-minded people to simply generate cut-off echo chambers, but that's no different than the world without the internet. What I finds happens is that these sorts of communities are seldom left alone, nor do people shy away from exposing themselves to opposing viewpoints (even if they are taking them from a position of ridicule). People love to argue on the internet, they just can't get enough of debating. And the more people have argued on the internet the more sophisticated their tactics are forced to become. We regularly casually embroils ourselves in arguments that require citing sources and avoiding rhetorical fallacies and taking good-faith measures if we want to be taken seriously. This is absurdly far beyond the level of discussion you will ever have with a stranger on the street, but the trend in discussion forums across the board has been towards a straight-up academic level of debate with random strangers from half-way across the world. It's not merely an arena of ideas, it is a thunderdome.

You'll pardon me if I respectfully disagree.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    it occurs to me that it is probably not solvable

bah
    Hamurabi wrote: »

On the other hand...

That was a silly, forced idea that belied why the internet is even beneficial. It tried to over-simplify an issue for mass consumption to make it an easy sell.

The real benefit of the internet comes from the level of intellectual engagement people will just glom onto organically.

If we really wanted to stop Kony, we just need to give more Ugandan's internet access.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The newest job hazard:explosive poop foam.

I can't make this (literal) shit up.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm glad we didn't vote for Kony in 2012
    Per3th.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    The sales people are fucking with one of their own by telling him good job and seeing how many times they can say it to him before he picks up on the sarcasm. So far they've managed one full day.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

You'll pardon me if I respectfully disagree.

Granted, it's a pointless argument to have without real data. For us now it's just a matter of perception. I do think I would like to dig up research on it, though.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

On the other hand...

That was a silly, forced idea that belied why the internet is even beneficial. It tried to over-simplify an issue for mass consumption to make it an easy sell.

The real benefit of the internet comes from the level of intellectual engagement people will just glom onto organically.

If we really wanted to stop Kony, we just need to give more Ugandan's internet access.

Of course for the good things the internet does, there are bad things.

I don't think the internet makes us better people. It is just used by people to do good or harm as they would otherwise; with the added reach that the internet gives them.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

i thought of this last night and blew my own mind

is Discovery named that because its... disco

did you already know this

I feel like the title is now the fedex logo and I can't stop seeing the arrow
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

i thought of this last night and blew my own mind

is Discovery named that because its... disco

did you already know this

I feel like the title is now the fedex logo and I can't stop seeing the arrow

never thought of that
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    it occurs to me that it is probably not solvable

bah

I think you may have too many unknowns. Matrix multiplication says C11 = X11*A11 + X12*A21 + X13*A31 and so on and so forth. It might shake out that there's a unique solution but I'm not sure.

On the other hand...

I don't think the internet makes us better people. It is just used by people to do good or harm as they would otherwise; with the added reach that the internet gives them.

Actually, speaking strictly for myself, I would say that the Internet has certainly made me a better academic (to whatever extent I fit in that category). Like I can't imagine a time before Google Scholar or JSTOR or Wikipedia (for source aggregation!). I can't imagine having to actually try to glean information from Books, like some kind of Savage.
    network_sig2.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    i voted for kony in 2012

that was the republican candidate, right?

mitch kony?
    919UOwT.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    the latest order of the stick seems too good to be true

On the other hand...

Actually, speaking strictly for myself, I would say that the Internet has certainly made me a better academic (to whatever extent I fit in that category). Like I can't imagine a time before Google Scholar or JSTOR or Wikipedia (for source aggregation!). I can't imagine having to actually try to glean information from Books, like some kind of Savage.

I'm gonna take your degree away.
    Lh96QHG.png

On the other hand...

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that the internet is not like some unambiguous force for good or something.

Rather, I'm arguing that even with all the extremely negative ways these kinds of information technology can be used, they will cause us to tend naturally towards a more intelligent and empathetic populace over time.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    The Internet made me better at watching porn
    Gooey wrote: »
    i voted for kony in 2012

that was the republican candidate, right?

mitch kony?

vEFfj.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    yo if i have matrix [X] is 3x3, matrix [A] is 3x1 and matrix [C] is 3x1

i wanna solve for [X]

where [X] * [A] = [C] and [A] and [C] are known

how do?

don't you use [A]^-1 or A^T (the transpose matrix) and use that to bump [A] out of [X]*[A]
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Hrm, the X-47B did a carrier take off and landing. I wonder if it uses the same satellite system as the Predators or if it's a more local control.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    @desc are you famous yet
    G2Dcf.jpg
    edited May 2013

On the other hand...

I'm gonna take your degree away.

You say this like sources on the internet aren't 5,000 times better than sources in your library.

If I wanted to know information about the gene ID4 I look it up on wikipedia. There isn't a book in the whole fucking library that would be half as helpful.
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg

On the other hand...

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that the internet is not like some unambiguous force for good or something.

Rather, I'm arguing that even with all the extremely negative ways these kinds of information technology can be used, they will cause us to tend naturally towards a more intelligent and empathetic populace over time.

I just don't think that's accurate given the evidence we see.

Antivaxxers have gotten more powerful, sad and angry people have gotten more of an audience, pedophiles have more ways to hide and act out their wishes, and SE++ still exists.

Over time the human race becomes more intelligent as a matter of course, the internet is just a tool. There isn't anything about it that is making us "better". We're still on the same trajectory. It's just a tool I guess.

*shrug*
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.