Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

This is the first time in human history when (almost) any individual can swiftly communicate to an arbitrarily large audience, and that large audience can swiftly respond back.

I kind of see that as a big deal.

It is a big deal. It is not inherently "Good."

I think that knowledge and communication, over the long term, shake out to a net good.

Yes, communication technology facilitates the spread of falsehoods and ignorance just as it facilitates the spread of knowledge, but it seems pretty clear to me that truth eventually wins that fight.

No, I don't think that is actually ever clear, all things being equal.

The truth is not always going to win.

I don't hate the internet, I just take issue with Winky's original assertion that it is making us better people. It is also making us worse people in a lot of ways.

It is just making us people.

This is an interesting position you've found yourself in.

Would you have rathered the Gutenberg press had never existed?

Yes, in fact I wish we were all still monkeys in a tree. I hate knowledge and learning and progress and freedom. You caught me.

Well that was quick.

It's mostly a really stupid question on your part. Given that I have said that I like the internet quite a few times now.

But since Winky and I have reached an understanding, I am going to go for my run now.

We better be talking about boobs or comic books when I get back or so help me I'm going to burn down the internet.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    lots of ants in my room. cunts.

do you leave foodstuffs in your room

don't lie to me

leave no but I do eat in here, or at least I did often til the last week or so.

such a hard habit to break

Get these:
    F-300-large.jpg

Watch over the next 1-2 days as the ants find it, and swarm it. You will need to resist freaking out and cleansing them with fire. Watch their conveyer belt.

It's a conveyer belt of death.

A few days later, in the middle of the night, you will be awakened by a scream that you didn't hear, as somewhere, a civilization dies.

I know this is a bit late to ask but does this ant repellent do anything to cats? Or can I leave it out with the cat running around?

I intend to kill all the ants with this tomorrow but am unsure if it's safe around my cat.

I'm not sure you'll have to look at the box

I got the plastic ones with gel inside. the ants go in and get the bait/die in it. none of my cats seemed interested in the one we put on the ground in the kitchen. if so it'd be hard for them to get the stuff out anyway.
    NO.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The Internet is terrible.

Now The Rabble can just look shit up any time of the night or day without the benefit of having their Betters (like me) filter it for them into an easily digestible gruel of monosyllabic words.

That's kind of how the original concept of copyright was created. For political control.

Before the printing press, books were the domain of the church. They held it under lock and key; they were the ones that made copies by hand and pretty much just the priests were highly literate.

Enter printing press. Suddenly books can be easily and (fairly) cheaply mass-produced! The masses learn to read!

The church saw power over the masses slipping out of their hands - they could get information from other sources. So the churc talked to Queen Mary, aka Bloody Mary.

Eh, I'll just quote.
    She shared the concern of the Catholic Church over the printing press. The public’s ability to quickly distribute information en masse was dangerous to her ambitions to restore Catholicism, in particular their ability to distribute heretic material. (Political material, in this day and age, was not distinguishable from religious material.) Seeing how France had failed miserably in banning the printing press, even under threat of hanging, she realized another solution was needed. One that involved the printing industry in a way that would benefit them as well.
    She devised a monopoly where the London printing guild would get a complete monopoly on all printing in England, in exchange for her censors determining what was fit to print beforehand. It was a very lucrative monopoly for the guild, who would be working hard to maintain the monopoly and the favor of the Queen’s censors. This merger of corporate and governmental powers turned out to be effective in suppressing free speech and political-religious dissent.

The monopoly was awarded to the London Company of Stationers on May 4, 1557. It was called copyright.

It was widely successful as a censorship instrument. Working with the industry to suppress free speech worked, in contrast to the French attempt in the earlier 1500s to ban all printing by decree. The Stationers worked as a private censorship bureau, burning unlicensed books, impounding or destroying monopoly-infringing printing presses, and denying politically unsuitable material the light of day. Only in doubtful cases did they care to consult the Queen’s censors for advice on what was allowed and what was not. Mostly, it was quite apparent after a few initial consultations.

The problem there wasn't copyright.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm so far on Winky's side on this that I find it absurd there's even a controversy here.

If you'd been around in 1513 you'd be all "Eh, the printing press is doesn't do anything that we couldn't do with quills and the oral tradition."

If I had been around in 1513 I'd probably have died at birth due to complications.

According to my past-life therapist, I was born healthy.

And a King.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod

As I explained the last time you went on an AH Edition tangent on this: I'm talking history, not modern usage.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    It's mostly a really stupid question on your part. Given that I have said that I like the internet quite a few times now.

But since Winky and I have reached an understanding, I am going to go for my run now.

We better be talking about boobs or comic books when I get back or so help me I'm going to burn down the internet.

iA7j4.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    @spool32

neat. I am decently sure the loyal opposition won't let the issue stop with one resignation, though, so we'll see.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Ronya :P I trust my trusted proxies.

Same as you do.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    hey sig

how are you

hungryish!

get some food then, silly!
    919UOwT.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    mmmmm

political groups protest taxation, say things like "all taxation is theft"

I wonder if they might be evading taxes

8->

oh no, we can't give them extra scrutiny

that's unfair political targeting

:rotate:
    Feral on
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    spool32 wrote: »

Same as you do.

so you did open the spoiler!
    I have given you the tools, SiG!

It ought not cost you more than like $8 depending on how much you spend for the chickpeas, and you will have leftover bacon.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    lots of ants in my room. cunts.

do you leave foodstuffs in your room

don't lie to me

leave no but I do eat in here, or at least I did often til the last week or so.

such a hard habit to break

Get these:
    F-300-large.jpg

Watch over the next 1-2 days as the ants find it, and swarm it. You will need to resist freaking out and cleansing them with fire. Watch their conveyer belt.

It's a conveyer belt of death.

A few days later, in the middle of the night, you will be awakened by a scream that you didn't hear, as somewhere, a civilization dies.

I know this is a bit late to ask but does this ant repellent do anything to cats? Or can I leave it out with the cat running around?

I intend to kill all the ants with this tomorrow but am unsure if it's safe around my cat.

I'm not sure you'll have to look at the box

I got the plastic ones with gel inside. the ants go in and get the bait/die in it. none of my cats seemed interested in the one we put on the ground in the kitchen. if so it'd be hard for them to get the stuff out anyway.

Noted; I'll probably be around anyways to keep an eye on it when I do get them and put them out.

Thanks.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    ronya wrote: »

Same as you do.

Only after I posted!
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'm so far on Winky's side on this that I find it absurd there's even a controversy here.

If you'd been around in 1513 you'd be all "Eh, the printing press is doesn't do anything that we couldn't do with quills and the oral tradition."

If I had been around in 1513 I'd probably have died at birth due to complications.

According to my past-life therapist, I was born healthy.

And a King.

"Back home I was a doctor."

"Man, I wonder what I would've been back home."

"This is your home."
    network_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

well okay yeah

me too

At least my mom.. I had a big head, and caesarians weren't quite as kind to women then.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    in theory if that cord was connected to a gfi outlet those guys should be fine if it shorts

in theory
    919UOwT.png

Same as you do.

Only after I posted!

you're going to be hammered with UNDER THE BUS for at least a couple days or so, I think

let's see how resolutely pleased you are then :rotate:
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Who wants invites?

@Haphazard

You should totally invite me too.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    in theory if that cord was connected to a gfi outlet those guys should be fine if it shorts

in theory

gfi?

goofi pls
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

in theory

They should at least stick the power strip on an inflatable pool raft. Flip-flops are insanity.

in theory

I don't even care about whether or not the photo is real.

That the outlet is suspended between two sandals is Amazing.
    network_sig2.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So is anybody claiming that Obama should have known about what the IRS was up to yet? On the list of things that the President might give a crap about, the IRS is probably down there.

Same as you do.

Only after I posted!

you're going to be hammered with UNDER THE BUS for at least a couple days or so, I think

Obama's MO has always been to sacrifice whoever is in the direct line of fire. In this case, I think he's very wise to throw somebody to the wolves ASAP.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

As I explained the last time you went on an AH Edition tangent on this: I'm talking history, not modern usage.

And if you are going to consider history, then you need to acknowledge that changes did occur. And that the issue wasn't the concept of copyright in of itself, but that it was bound to censorship.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    You know, I'm not up on tax law or anything... but aren't explicitly political groups unable to gain tax-exempt status?
    network_sig2.png
    Man, today's chat was good.. But I gotta go guys before traffic gets too much worse. Ya all are awesome, and AMFE I get the impression you're just having a bad day, or maybe being a bit anti-social, I'd dosomething you enjoy without others.. on the Internet. :winky:
    gfci

dont complain about my typos feral

each post i make is a gift to the world
    919UOwT.png
    And that the issue wasn't the concept of copyright in of itself, but that it was bound to censorship.

heh

lol
    Couscous wrote: »
    So is anybody claiming that Obama should have known about what the IRS was up to yet? On the list of things that the President might give a crap about, the IRS is probably down there.

No one that I've heard. Treasury Secretary probably should have known though.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    The main thing that worries me about AD season 4 is the trailer wasn't very funny.

But then the ads on Fox back in the day weren't funny either.

Yeah I don't think the show is well suited for trailers. The scenes, as shown in the trailers, were pretty wooden compared to the organic nature of the actual show.
    I thought the clip montages that played on the DVD menus made for good/funny trailers.
    jBEKRTH.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I hear that obama has a private bus that is always running laps around the white house so he can throw people under it at any moment.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    gfci

i wasn't complaining about your typo

i just read "gfi" in my head as "goofi"
    Feral, you too are welcome to aforementioned burrito if you're ever south of big sur.

Desc you're still dead to me until you go to boiling crab.
    gfci

Liked Sir Exchequer's posts better.

B--- would not take off ignore again.
    network_sig2.png
    You know, I'm not up on tax law or anything... but aren't explicitly political groups unable to gain tax-exempt status?

These groups are allowed to be "sort of political". Like, less than 50% political.

These groups are allowed to be "sort of political". Like, less than 50% political.

Well that's a dumb ambiguous law.
    network_sig2.png

Same as you do.

Only after I posted!

Obama's MO has always been to sacrifice whoever is in the direct line of fire. In this case, I think he's very wise to throw somebody to the wolves ASAP.

oh come on

going from "i demand he fire someone!" to "pshaw, throwing someone to the wolves was always his M.O." already
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The main thing that worries me about AD season 4 is the trailer wasn't very funny.

But then the ads on Fox back in the day weren't funny either.

Yeah I don't think the show is well suited for trailers. The scenes, as shown in the trailers, were pretty wooden compared to the organic nature of the actual show.
    I thought the clip montages that played on the DVD menus made for good/funny trailers.

Did you watch those before watching the actual show, though, because if you watch them after you've seen the clips in context it'll be a lot more amusing.
This discussion has been closed.