Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Feral wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    gfci

dont complain about my typos feral

each post i make is a gift to the world

i wasn't complaining about your typo

i just read "gfi" in my head as "goofi"

o

in that case would you like some lemonade
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Winky wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Counterpoint: Elevatorgate.
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    It's mostly a really stupid question on your part. Given that I have said that I like the internet quite a few times now.

But since Winky and I have reached an understanding, I am going to go for my run now.

We better be talking about boobs or comic books when I get back or so help me I'm going to burn down the internet.
    iA7j4.jpg

Ahhh

So turned on by natural selection.

A weirdly appropriate reaction.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Ronya :P I trust my trusted proxies.

Same as you do.

so you did open the spoiler!

Only after I posted!

you're going to be hammered with UNDER THE BUS for at least a couple days or so, I think

let's see how resolutely pleased you are then :rotate:

Obama's MO has always been to sacrifice whoever is in the direct line of fire. In this case, I think he's very wise to throw somebody to the wolves ASAP.

oh come on

going from "i demand he fire someone!" to "pshaw, throwing someone to the wolves was always his M.O." already

What? That really has been how he rolls. I'm glad he did it though! Somebody deserved to get fired, and the only way for him to cool off the heat is to do it fast and high profile.

Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    You know, I'm not up on tax law or anything... but aren't explicitly political groups unable to gain tax-exempt status?

Most political action committees don't pay taxes. The special question here is whether politically-focused organizations can organize as 501(c)(4)'s in order to avoid paying taxes and avoid disclosing contributions.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Warren Ellis wrote a great graphic novel about the battle of Crecy, with an English longbow archer as the narrator, breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the reader.

"We have the same intelligence as you. We simply don't have the same cumulative knowledge you do."
    You know, I'm not up on tax law or anything... but aren't explicitly political groups unable to gain tax-exempt status?

These groups are allowed to be "sort of political". Like, less than 50% political.

Well that's a dumb ambiguous law.

yeah probably.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    actually they were probably pretty malnourished back then
    And that the issue wasn't the concept of copyright in of itself, but that it was bound to censorship.

heh

lol

So, you think it's going to be a good thing when Google can take your pictures from Picasa and use them as they want without recompense?
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    And that the issue wasn't the concept of copyright in of itself, but that it was bound to censorship.

Copyright is an infringement on property rights as well as censorship.

The state is aware of this fact and deems it appropriate.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    im glad the doj probed the ap

gives those america hating liberal journalists something to think about at night

have fun at a cia black site, Shiloh. hope you brought your 'sack.
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Programmers, show me your resumes.
    Echo wrote: »

Warren Ellis wrote a great graphic novel about the battle of Crecy, with an English longbow archer as the narrator, breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the reader.

"We have the same intelligence as you. We simply don't have the same cumulative knowledge you do."

My father-in-law, who is an Archaeologist at Texas A&M, will talk your ear off about how there were geniuses in the clovis era just like there are today. He's quite frustrated by the tendency to assume that ancient peoples were somehow less innovative or resourceful than we are.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

In short:

They can't support or oppose specific candidates but they can weigh in on political issues or legislation.

Political action may not be their primary purpose. They can engage in politics as a secondary part of their overall mission.

For example, it's fine for a homeless shelter network to say "Congress should fund homeless shelter more!" and say "we support Senate bill 1234 because it increases funding for homeless shelters!"
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

heh

lol

So, you think it's going to be a good thing when Google can take your pictures from Picasa and use them as they want without recompense?

your aversion to technolibertarians is leading you to odd places
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It does grate me when people act like people in the past were just blubbering imbeciles. Obviously they did not know everything we know but given their knowledge base at the time they did great stuff. People acting like folks still thought the world was round when Columbus was sailing about.

Or like, "Oh yeah, plate armor was totally impractical and you had to be hoisted on to horses and if you fell over you couldn't get up blah blah blah" People aren't going to spend tons of time and money on making something that makes them more likely to die in combat. (Well, more than a couple times at least, I am sure some people have carried some pretty dumb ideas on to the battlefield at at least one point).
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Most political action committees don't pay taxes. The special question here is whether politically-focused organizations can organize as 501(c)(4)'s in order to avoid paying taxes and avoid disclosing contributions.

Aren't the 501C4 and/or "superPAC" regulations stupidly broken so that they can either avoid disclosing, or only disclose after the election, but still spend unlimited amounts of money?
    network_sig2.png

Copyright is an infringement on property rights as well as censorship.

The state is aware of this fact and deems it appropriate.

Care to explain? Because I'll point out that the UN considers copyright to be a human right.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm still not sure what exactly the Bengazi scandal is about. Congress is the one that didn't approve extra funding for security and nothing the White House could have done when they learned of the attack would have saved anybody from what we know.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

heh

lol

I don't have pictures on Picasa. Do you prefer Nikon or Canon cameras? I mean, since we're jumping around asking each other tangentially-related questions. :P

As Echo pointed out, copyright is censorship; just a legitimate form of it.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    converge damn it

I was going to say something about how I recall calories and/or general nutrition being related. I can certainly see starvation -- or borderline starvation -- stunting intellectual development later in life.
    network_sig2.png
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    The main thing that worries me about AD season 4 is the trailer wasn't very funny.

But then the ads on Fox back in the day weren't funny either.

Yeah I don't think the show is well suited for trailers. The scenes, as shown in the trailers, were pretty wooden compared to the organic nature of the actual show.
    I thought the clip montages that played on the DVD menus made for good/funny trailers.

Did you watch those before watching the actual show, though, because if you watch them after you've seen the clips in context it'll be a lot more amusing.
    I feel like I found them funny before I watched the episodes but it's hard to say for sure.
    jBEKRTH.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Programmers, show me your resumes.

bCAst.jpg
    My father-in-law, who is an Archaeologist at Texas A&M, will talk your ear off about how there were geniuses in the clovis era just like there are today. He's quite frustrated by the tendency to assume that ancient peoples were somehow less innovative or resourceful than we are.

Yeah. People who assume that conveniently forget the long-ass era of very smart people coming up with very smart things every couple of decades, and how they build on the smart things of older smart people. We're benefiting from the result of these centuries of smart people.

There were probably hundreds of people that would gotten the Nobel prize in mathematics had they lived today, that came up with intelligent things in their shitty mudhole in the 8th century and took their innovation to the grave.
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what exactly the Bengazi scandal is about. Congress is the one that didn't approve extra funding for security and nothing the White House could have done when they learned of the attack would have saved anybody from what we know.

It's about trying to find a reason, any reason, why the attack on the embassy was either Obama's or Clinton's fault.

That there isn't actually any such reason doesn't stop Boehner, et. al., from asking the same questions over and over again based on the LBJ Pig Fucker principle.
    edited May 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It does grate me when people act like people in the past were just blubbering imbeciles. Obviously they did not know everything we know but given their knowledge base at the time they did great stuff. People acting like folks still thought the world was round when Columbus was sailing about.

Or like, "Oh yeah, plate armor was totally impractical and you had to be hoisted on to horses and if you fell over you couldn't get up blah blah blah" People aren't going to spend tons of time and money on making something that makes them more likely to die in combat. (Well, more than a couple times at least, I am sure some people have carried some pretty dumb ideas on to the battlefield at at least one point).

I heard (it might've been from you) a short story about a guy who went back in time to Rome's era with a handgun, thinking he'd be able to convince them he was magical.

Turns out "that guy has a funny looking thing that blows holes in things" is pretty obviously not magic.
    Shivahn on
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    On Seinfeld is the episode where they are at this party out in the stix and George is gonna get laid so he can't drive Elaine and Jerry back to NYC so they call up Kramer

such a weird episode in the context of modern times, they have to call Kramer on a land line and then, AND THEN, they have to give him directions! And if he forgets the directions he's fucked. And that's basically what happens. He gets lost and it takes him forever to find the place.

THE NINETIES.
    On Seinfeld is the episode where they are at this party out in the stix and George is gonna get laid so he can't drive Elaine and Jerry back to NYC so they call up Kramer

such a weird episode in the context of modern times, they have to call Kramer on a land line and then, AND THEN, they have to give him directions! And if he forgets the directions he's fucked. And that's basically what happens. He gets lost and it takes him forever to find the place.

THE NINETIES.

Oh men.

Not asking for directions.

I wonder what other stereotypes are gonna just be flat out "what the fuck?" as technology marches on.
    I hear that obama has a private bus that is always running laps around the white house so he can throw people under it at any moment.

Al Gore likes to drive it around just so he can fill the tank over and over with premium gasoline
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

I was going to say something about how I recall calories and/or general nutrition being related. I can certainly see starvation -- or borderline starvation -- stunting intellectual development later in life.

Yeah, in the multiple times I've heard about this I've never understood how one could invest in a(n) political group/organization and not have to disclose that you have a vested interest in such.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I heard (it might've been from you) a short story about a guy who went back in time to Rome's era with a handgun, thinking he'd be able to convince them he was magical.

Turns out "that guy has a funny looking thing that blows holes in things" is pretty obviously not magic.
    Besides, they would just club you to death from behind.
    Of course, the biggest innovation was the tech for disseminating knowledge. Like I said, lots of smart things were discovered in shithole villages and then never known of outside of that village.

heh

lol

your aversion to technolibertarians is leading you to odd places

Not really. There was an incident of that five or so years back in Australia (ad campaign used a photo of a girl without permission or compensation), and there's a hard push by Big Tech to reinstate registration requirements for copyright protection.

The problem is that a lot of people don't see how copyright protects them. When they do, they tend to be supportive of it, like in the Instagram license fiasco.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif

It's about trying to find a reason, any reason, why the attack on the embassy was either Obama's or Clinton's fault.

That there isn't actually any such reason doesn't stop Boehner, et. al., from asking the same questions over and over again based on the LBJ Pig Fucker principle.

I assume that as with basically all of politics that it's a disingenuous attempt to grab the headlines with hearings every couple of weeks/months with manufactured outrage and go-nowhere evidence and testimony that the other arms of the American right will spin to suit their needs. It doesn't actually have to have legal consequences -- it just needs to make people see headlines that read, "SENIOR OBAMA OFFICIALS IN FRONT OF HEARING ON BENGHAZI."

First world politics is such a weird, cynical meta game to get reelected.
    network_sig2.png

i thought army of darkness was a documentary
    Of course, the biggest innovation was the tech for disseminating knowledge. Like I said, lots of smart things were discovered in shithole villages and then never known of outside of that village.

That's a particular area of his research... the idea that "clovis" wasn't a tribe that took over the Americas, but an idea for how to produce tools that spread, remarkably fast, throughout the continent.

Clovis points = first viral idea? Maybe.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It's hard coming up with warm ups using the passive voice for my students.

It's a rather cumbersome sentence construction.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

Or the front.

What with the swarming. Or an arrow.

Either way you're not gonna be their god-king after murdering a soldier.

I assume that as with basically all of politics that it's a disingenuous attempt to grab the headlines with hearings every couple of weeks/months with manufactured outrage and go-nowhere evidence and testimony that the other arms of the American right will spin to suit their needs. It doesn't actually have to have legal consequences -- it just needs to make people see headlines that read, "SENIOR OBAMA OFFICIALS IN FRONT OF HEARING ON BENGHAZI."

First world politics is such a weird, cynical meta game to get reelected.

Pretty much that, yeah.
This discussion has been closed.