Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Warren Ellis wrote a great graphic novel about the battle of Crecy, with an English longbow archer as the narrator, breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the reader.

"We have the same intelligence as you. We simply don't have the same cumulative knowledge you do."

It does grate me when people act like people in the past were just blubbering imbeciles. Obviously they did not know everything we know but given their knowledge base at the time they did great stuff. People acting like folks still thought the world was round when Columbus was sailing about.

Or like, "Oh yeah, plate armor was totally impractical and you had to be hoisted on to horses and if you fell over you couldn't get up blah blah blah" People aren't going to spend tons of time and money on making something that makes them more likely to die in combat. (Well, more than a couple times at least, I am sure some people have carried some pretty dumb ideas on to the battlefield at at least one point).

I will say, however, that people in the past appear unbelievably cruel and callous.

Granted, this is largely because they didn't have a very large circle of empathy. There tended to be a relatively small group of people that they really thought of as people, and when we fail to think of others in the same way today we can reach the same extremes.

Oh yeah, definitely. This is a huge thing that the spread of information and the ease of communication has done for us, as long with ease of travel (so printing press, telegraph, telephone, airplane, internet, etc).

When the people you are fighting are "those people over the hill who make funny noises out of their mouths and are different than us" it's pretty easy to be monstrous. As opposed to, "Oh, that island over there is Indonesia. A guy from there is in my WoW Guild and he has two cute kids."

But yeah, I mean, people used to burn cats people alive for entertainment and stuff.

vspgsp.jpg
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I am slightly completely terrified of TAing.

TAing is easy and it's a lot of fun as long as your students aren't complete shits.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Cinders wrote: »
    It's hard coming up with warm ups using the passive voice for my students.

It's a rather cumbersome sentence construction.

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Or just describing you doing something to an object?

Like pick up a pencil

"The pencil was picked up"

Oh you sweet summer child. (I kid, I kid)

The trick is finding something my students can do and would find interesting enough to actually do.

I have a confession.

I am not actually a teacher type person.

I am going to die when I TA this year.

Just bring a whip to class.

This is a good plan.

It is up there with "hire a body double" and "kill self, teach as ghost who does not know fear"

If you kill yourself and rig your body up as marionette you could pull both of those off.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Warren Ellis wrote a great graphic novel about the battle of Crecy, with an English longbow archer as the narrator, breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the reader.

"We have the same intelligence as you. We simply don't have the same cumulative knowledge you do."

It does grate me when people act like people in the past were just blubbering imbeciles. Obviously they did not know everything we know but given their knowledge base at the time they did great stuff. People acting like folks still thought the world was round when Columbus was sailing about.

Or like, "Oh yeah, plate armor was totally impractical and you had to be hoisted on to horses and if you fell over you couldn't get up blah blah blah" People aren't going to spend tons of time and money on making something that makes them more likely to die in combat. (Well, more than a couple times at least, I am sure some people have carried some pretty dumb ideas on to the battlefield at at least one point).

I heard (it might've been from you) a short story about a guy who went back in time to Rome's era with a handgun, thinking he'd be able to convince them he was magical.

Turns out "that guy has a funny looking thing that blows holes in things" is pretty obviously not magic.

I think that would probably be magic back then
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    penis-fencing, jake?
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I am slightly completely terrified of TAing.

TAing is easy and it's a lot of fun as long as your students aren't complete shits.

It'll be ok once it gets here, I'm convinced. But social anxiety+generalized anxiety disorder+middle of transition=fuck man I do NOT want to be TAing.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I saw some thing on Comixology about the modern-day Vatican sending commandos back in time to "make things right", ie make sure that religion evolves along the "proper" routes.

May have to read that. I think the first issue is free.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Like pick up a pencil

The trick is finding something my students can do and would find interesting enough to actually do.

I have a confession.

Nah. You are a smart cookie, I am sure you will pick it up no problem. It ain't rocket surgery.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Counterpoint: Elevatorgate.

1. I had to look that up and the whole situation is completely retarded on many levels.

2. Completely avoiding the debate about whether or not Dawkins was being a douche here, which I do not want to touch with a 10 foot pole ever in my life, any other hypothetical situation in which someone who is otherwise highly educated acts in ignorance doesn't refute my point here. Ignorance about sexism is something that we are trained in by society. Being an incredibly intelligent person doesn't make you immune to it. Overcoming that training towards ignorance isn't easy or automatic.

Except that skeptics are people who explicitly question the status quo. These weren't just people who are intelligent, they were people who define themselves as being iconoclastic.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    Like I know the anxiety right now is just a focused version of the general anxiety I feel about the future, and I'm kind of morphing a lot of fears about transition into this.

So I know full well that it's largely an irrational product of my fearful anxious imagination, but, you know, it's still scary.
  • gundam470gundam470 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wOgIkxAfJsk

Oh yeah baby...no, don't stop...wait talk to me about kerning!
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    If I went back in time I would bring wobble bass and become a God-Emporer
    919UOwT.png

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Like pick up a pencil

I have a confession.

This is a good plan.

It is up there with "hire a body double" and "kill self, teach as ghost who does not know fear"

If you kill yourself and rig your body up as marionette you could pull both of those off.

I like this plan best, because it amuses me.
    Gooey wrote: »
    If I went back in time I would bring wobble bass and become a God-Emporer

perched on your golden throne

golden_throne.jpg?w=450
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Like pick up a pencil

The passive is just really inventions, discoveries, formal language, newspapers, and political deception.

A guessing game on inventions? You could do it by name, nationality, or even year.

Play Wits & Wagers Family (you can get the rules from BGG) with invention years. That's good for young people, who are often unaware of the passage of history, but are too uninformed to talk about specific individuals.

E.g. What year was the TV invented in? Students write down a year (in teams). You put their answers up in the board. Students guess which is closest without going over the true answer. And then bet their tokens/meeples on the answer they think is correct.

This is a good idea. I like this!
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    And that the issue wasn't the concept of copyright in of itself, but that it was bound to censorship.

heh

lol

So, you think it's going to be a good thing when Google can take your pictures from Picasa and use them as they want without recompense?

I don't have pictures on Picasa. Do you prefer Nikon or Canon cameras? I mean, since we're jumping around asking each other tangentially-related questions. :P

As Echo pointed out, copyright is censorship; just a legitimate form of it.

No, copyright isn't censorship, unless you stretch the meaning of censorship out to meaninglessness. A book, song, movie, etc. isn't an idea.

tumblr_lvv4jvx4xj1qemoij.png

i don't really see how this helps anything

copyright horseshit goes into its own thread now or it stops. i am desperately tired of hedgie and echo and everyone else fencing about it in here.

well, i say fencing, but that suggests an elegance that isn't actually at all present

sJmPbdz.png?2
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My total inability to fucking smile makes it really hard for me to take fucking pictures. The last 2.5 hours were spent trying to take 2 decent pictures, so I could update facebook and okc with new hair and location. This time was a waste and utterly depressing.

redx on
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
    Geth roll 1d100 for percentage chance that I am pooping right now
    919UOwT.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    My total inability to fucking smile makes it really hard for me to take fucking pictures. The last 2.5 hours were spent trying to take 2 decent pictures, so I could update facebook and okc with new hair and location. This time was a waste and utterly depressing.

Plastic vampire teeth. Boom, done.
    And now I am sleep.

Tomorrow I will sit on a horse.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i'm sure my amateur political science is groanworthy to, say, the likes of @mazzyx
    ronya on
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Counterpoint: Elevatorgate.

1. I had to look that up and the whole situation is completely retarded on many levels.

2. Completely avoiding the debate about whether or not Dawkins was being a douche here, which I do not want to touch with a 10 foot pole ever in my life, any other hypothetical situation in which someone who is otherwise highly educated acts in ignorance doesn't refute my point here. Ignorance about sexism is something that we are trained in by society. Being an incredibly intelligent person doesn't make you immune to it. Overcoming that training towards ignorance isn't easy or automatic.

Except that skeptics are people who explicitly question the status quo. These weren't just people who are intelligent, they were people who define themselves as being iconoclastic.

This means nothing about the fact that they can be deceived as to which of their beliefs are shaped by society rather than reason. I mean, yeah they're iconoclasts, they're still fallible people. And very commonly people will hunker down on their belief when they're suffering personal attacks over it, even if in other situations they'd see the validity in criticizing it.

Which, by the way, is why I am a huge proponent of having all of us stop demonizing people as "the enemy" when they hold ignorant beliefs. But, that's probably another discussion topic that is best left alone.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Apparently Anno Online is in open beta

I will give it a shot, but apparently game time runs more slowly than the regular games, which jives with it being F2P.
    geth is a pretty good guesser
    919UOwT.png

The whip Inq. brought to class was studded with brass spikes and wrought grievous wounds upon his the flesh of his students.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    ronya wrote: »
    i'm sure my amateur political science is groanworthy to, say, the likes of @mazzyx

No matter how bad your political science is, it is not as bad as some of the things that get published :P.
    vspgsp.jpg

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Like pick up a pencil

I have a confession.

Nah. You are a smart cookie, I am sure you will pick it up no problem. It ain't rocket surgery.

Thanks. I'm sure I will too, and for whatever reason this post calms me down. It's just something I'm anxious about.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Geth roll 1d100 for how many years till mainstream society will accept poop posting.
    Caveman Paws on
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

Geth roll 1d100 for how many years till mainstream society will accep poop posting.

I think it's already mainstream
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    [chat] what if I want a second SSD just for music software and for all these big giant sample libraries.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hanging out at the bar while my lady friend works. All this food is making me hungry but I swore I'd wait and just make something at the house to save money.
    *GOAT SCREAM*
    TTODewback on
    For no particular reason, my favorite Carl Sagan quote.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”

I wish that other aspects of life had the same tenor as scientific discourse, but I can understand why they don't.

Really I just wish more people were willing to be wrong.
    vspgsp.jpg
    desc wrote: »
    [chat] what if I want a second SSD just for music software and for all these big giant sample libraries.

Do you need near 0 access time for any of that?
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”

I don't know about that. John Edwards said he was wrong to vote for the AUMF.

Geth roll 1d100 for how many years till mainstream society will accept poop posting.

when gooby was in porcelain land
    let my poo posts go
    legs have gone asleep again
    let my poo posts go
    :whistle:
    919UOwT.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Words With Friends is really poorly designed.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

I don't know about that. John Edwards said he was wrong to vote for the AUMF.

That's because he's a spineless flip-flopper
    A true leader stays the course
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This nap was long, but bed is still so comfy

p1JnlzO.jpg
This discussion has been closed.