Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    redx wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    [chat] what if I want a second SSD just for music software and for all these big giant sample libraries.

Do you need near 0 access time for any of that?

scrolling through gigs of sounds with a wheel and slapping a button at the same time to hear things with as little loading time lag as possible seems really awesome. the software itself is all generally just a few hundred (edit: ) megs, but the samples are what take up space.
    desc on
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Hmm, why can't I leave you guys.. Dressed and everything, and I even got Becky to be excited to go on a date (to see Into Darkness, muhahahaha).. Just been reading a lotta the funnies and watching Frasier. :-/
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d100 for percentage chance that I am pooping right now

Geth roll 1d100 for how many years till mainstream society will accep poop posting.

I think it's already mainstream

For us, absolutely. But [chat] is years ahead of the plebs.

[chat] what if I want a second SSD just for music software and for all these big giant sample libraries.

How big and what are you looking at?
    I love you Goobey.

I don't say it enough.

*bro hugs*
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    do it dsc
    919UOwT.png
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    In bed. Posting from my iPad. Fuck yeah, science and technology.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    I love you Goobey.

I don't say it enough.

*bro hugs*

bro hugs
    919UOwT.png
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

How big and what are you looking at?

256 would be plenty, I think. I have a 256 meg ssd as my main drive right now but it's mostly full (I need to scour through and see what is taking up space. I do have some steam games on it.)
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    redx wrote: »

Do you need near 0 access time for any of that?

scrolling through gigs of sounds with a wheel and slapping a button at the same time to hear things with as little loading time lag as possible seems really awesome. the software itself is all generally just a few hundred gigs, but the samples are what take up space.

'A few hundred megs' is what I assume you meant to say, though the awesomeness of instantly playing samples is clear in retrospect.
    redx on
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
    Winky wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Counterpoint: Elevatorgate.

1. I had to look that up and the whole situation is completely retarded on many levels.

2. Completely avoiding the debate about whether or not Dawkins was being a douche here, which I do not want to touch with a 10 foot pole ever in my life, any other hypothetical situation in which someone who is otherwise highly educated acts in ignorance doesn't refute my point here. Ignorance about sexism is something that we are trained in by society. Being an incredibly intelligent person doesn't make you immune to it. Overcoming that training towards ignorance isn't easy or automatic.

Except that skeptics are people who explicitly question the status quo. These weren't just people who are intelligent, they were people who define themselves as being iconoclastic.

This isn't quite how it works, just a dumbed down version of it. Being skeptical just means you prefer your knowledge to adhere to the scientific method.

And I was getting grief for defending psychics yesterday...
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think trying to determine whether the Internet is overall a net positive is like asking whether radio or television were a net positive. I would say their positive outweigh their negatives, strictly in terms of utility derived.

As to whether they make us "better people"... that's a really loaded question.

Though the topic reminds me very strongly of back when people were asking whether the Arab Spring was "good for America." It just strikes me as such a silly question. It's like asking whether the tides are "good" -- you don't really judge their "goodness" so much as just deal with the consequences.

I think the internet is more analogous to telegraph, actual written language and telephone as far as comparisons. It's the approachability and innovation through evolution, and the rapid evolution if a great many memes that've allowed a lot of our sociological changes in the US for the better, in recent memory.

I'd say the average US citizen knows more about China and Africa now, and more about the wars were in, than during the 80s and earl 90s.

...you did see that recent poll about where Bengazi is, right?

I have a better question for you angel: what would that poll have looked like in the 1980s?

About the same, perhaps a bit worse. You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

That's the thing angel, I believe people want to think. I think ignorance is what happens when you're starved for avenues of learning, and willful ignorance only happens when you've been explicitly trained in it.

Counterpoint: Elevatorgate.

1. I had to look that up and the whole situation is completely retarded on many levels.

2. Completely avoiding the debate about whether or not Dawkins was being a douche here, which I do not want to touch with a 10 foot pole ever in my life, any other hypothetical situation in which someone who is otherwise highly educated acts in ignorance doesn't refute my point here. Ignorance about sexism is something that we are trained in by society. Being an incredibly intelligent person doesn't make you immune to it. Overcoming that training towards ignorance isn't easy or automatic.

Except that skeptics are people who explicitly question the status quo. These weren't just people who are intelligent, they were people who define themselves as being iconoclastic.

This isn't quite how it works, just a dumbed down version of it. Being skeptical just means you prefer your knowledge to adhere to the scientific method.

And I was getting grief for defending psychics yesterday...
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    what is this fresh hell

some show on mtv discussing "the girl code"

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

why don't guys don't know about makeup

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS
    NO.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    I love you Goobey.

I don't say it enough.

*bro hugs*

Y iz gooby gtting luv?
    Is cncur?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Posting that while AutoCorrect was on was hard
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

What happens when stupid people breed and smart people go to "law school"
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

I see your mistake
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

Well back in MY day they would have actually been showing music on there.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's hard coming up with warm ups using the passive voice for my students.

It's a rather cumbersome sentence construction.

Fill in the blanks?

The ___ was ___

Or just describing you doing something to an object?

Like pick up a pencil

"The pencil was picked up"

Oh you sweet summer child. (I kid, I kid)

The trick is finding something my students can do and would find interesting enough to actually do.

I have a confession.

I am not actually a teacher type person.

I am going to die when I TA this year.

Nah. You are a smart cookie, I am sure you will pick it up no problem. It ain't rocket surgery.

Thanks. I'm sure I will too, and for whatever reason this post calms me down. It's just something I'm anxious about.

Hey Shiv, did you see where I invited you out to dinner on me if you ever make it down here/i get out to maryland again (not too likely) up thread?

Feral said you'd do inappropriate things to a burrito, but offer still stands if you ever need a meal and some care free times.. Logistics would have to be your headache though. ;)
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    how to be slutty

So, uh... how do you be slutty?

<.<

>.>
    vspgsp.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Music.

Television.

Also I am unimpressed at the lack of invites for kaleedity on steam
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

I see your mistake

yeah I know. I tuned in to Kesha's show cause I like her and I'm bored. then this came on.

young girls, godspeed
    NO.
    I love you Goobey.

I don't say it enough.

*bro hugs*

Y iz gooby gtting luv?
    Is cncur?

Are you fishing for bro hugs, cancer, or ... oh god I understood all that perfectly!
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh

Scroll up.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    That was me trying to say don't worry and enjoy your burrito, you got friends who wish you well without knowing you! Your whole deal is something I would never have the strength or courage to do, and are just a different sort if civilized than I. Still mad ups, yo.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Guys, guys, guys! Important question. Do I get 1 or 3 of this poster?

dogs and dungeons

oh shit watch out they've got an econowizard
    how to be slutty

So, uh... how do you be slutty?

<.<

>.>

I dunno, all that I saw was a large black lady shouting "I love sluts"
    NO.
    Thom you know what you need to do to decide this.

Geth, roll 1d3 for number of awesome D & dog posters
    GETH I FUCKING HATE YOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT TERROR BOT

MORE LIKE TSARNAEV GETH

ENEMY OF THE STATE
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Guys, guys, guys! Important question. Do I get 1 or 3 of this poster?

30ihnk0.jpg

You just know the collie is an elf sorcerer. Fucking collies.
    Ludious wrote: »
    Thom you know what you need to do to decide this.

Geth, roll 1d3 for number of awesome D & dog posters

The die has spoken. There will be no gift posters.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Feral wrote: »
    Words With Friends is really poorly designed.

How do you still play that? I was a hardcore scrabble nerd, though.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Oh man

Oh man

Someone should make a fantasy world but everyone's dogs, and instead of different fantasy races they're different dog breeds
    vspgsp.jpg
    @bogart

Also you scroll up. You're the kind of classy man to appreciate that painting as a poster.
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

I see your mistake

yeah I know. I tuned in to Kesha's show cause I like her and I'm bored. then this came on.

young girls, godspeed

Is ke$ha the one who brushes her teeth with shitty whiskey?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Oh, elf sorcerer is code for rule lawyer dingus.

It's a house rule in these parts.
    Oh man

Oh man

Someone should make a fantasy world but everyone's dogs, and instead of different fantasy races they're different dog breeds

Redwall did a subset of this
    what is this fresh hell

topics:

girls are bad drivers

do girls fart

how to be slutty

WHAT IS THIS

I see your mistake

young girls, godspeed

Is ke$ha the one who brushes her teeth with shitty whiskey?

yes she literally does in real life what's in her lyrics
    NO.
This discussion has been closed.