Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    oh i dont have bad reflux i just pop generic prilosec like it's going out of style
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I do believe I will take the LadyFromEarth to see Star Trek this weekend.

Surely that's a better use of my one car trip a week than grocery shopping.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    How else could I encode messages. Substitution matrix? But it's possible you guys would never figure it out, particularly if the style of the matrix switched partway through the message I was conveying. It could say almost anything!

:D
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    just got back from Iron Man 3

verdict: a lot of fun character moments and pleasant surprises that overcome a soggy plot

I'd say in all three films Tony's Character and Downey's Charisma helps compensate for the soggier moments. He was that perfect a casting.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am watching the Attack on Titan.

Titan seems like an odd way to translate 巨人 which is pretty much giant. In fact it is the name of the Yankees equivalent in Japan.

I figure it is to make them unique, kind of different compared to a straight up giant. But it is still an interesting translation.

titan is more menacing and badass than giant certainly

Titan is the class of ship I use for galactic genocide

My last game I didn't get past cruisers. Didn't need to.

Vulfar, armies of gnats killing everyone!

I don't think I've played a game yet where I've needed to get past cruisers

On the other hand it's fun to be able to place a titan in orbit around every planet a race has, declare war and wipe them from the galaxy in one fell swoop.

Does it take forever? Yes. Does it put my income a couple hundred in the negative? Absolutely.

But my god is it satisfying

Summon the remanent mothership. Last time I did it took a couple titans to fight it off. Thing was tough. Also fun to watch my giant ships to get into it with something their size.

I am almost afraid to keep playing because the more you play the more you face your own ship designs. And the scarier they become.

Hah, you bring up a slightly worrying point with the ship designs.

I still haven't gotten past playing on Easy. Initially because when I started I tried a couple of Normal games but couldn't get a handle on the economy before getting wiped out but at this point mostly because I want to play around with all the different races (or more specifically their hulls) before I start actually playing the game.

However the completio ist in me has been dragging out these games for far too long because oh my go that's a barran ultrarich but I've got terraforming so I'll just colonize it and waste a bunch of time bringing it up to snuff before wait there's another one ok I'll grab that one too etc etc

Might be painful when I finish off the plant people game, bump it up to Normal and have to face all of my own ship designs D:

My last game I was on normal. It isn't much harder. You at least face frigates though which is nice. The bigger fleet battles are pretty awesome.

My first game was just as humans. They were one of my two early neighbors. Being Vulfar which are better at early aggression than teching I attacked early.

I ran into a fleet of miniguns, my Terran base fighter. They had twice the guns of a normal fight and damn they hurt. My Vulfar outnumbered them though.

But now I am afraid of facing my bomber fleets. Those things are scary.

Oh man... if the AI ever gets a hold of any of my planet cleaner designs?

I'm not sure it'd even be possible to defend myself from them.

My Vulfar bomber is a corvette and using all base technology.

It cost 39 production.

39 production with the Vulfar who are efficient and get cheap ships.

They can clear early planets in seconds.

That's actually one of the weakest points of the game I think. I had a game where I managed to knock out three races ridiculously early because all I had to do was rush some ground forces and ship them off.

Actually ground combat is one of the things I hope gets tweaked at some point for a number of reasons.

Last patch or the patch before they changed how troops work. Or they were planning to. It is going to take population for each troop. So you will lose production for each troop. I think .5 per troop.

So you can waste population as troops....or cleanse the planet from orbit. Well my long legacy of 4X games being genocide simulators continues.

Yup.

I tend to nuke people because it is quicker.

But there is a tech at the end of one of the trees called, "Resistance is Futile." When you a conquer a planet with troops that planet maintains all the bonuses of the race you conquered and your bonuses as well.

It is pretty great. You can be the borg.
    falasig.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    This weekend I see Jaws for the first time. It'll be a 35mm experience.

there is one particularly violent moment that left quite an impression on me
    when the shark attacks the kid on the inflatable raft
    919UOwT.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is civilisation.

*note: not a coffee drinker normally*

You can totally get over sweetened espresso drinks at other places too. However, those other places sell coffee that isn't all so darkly roasted it tastes like ass and sell espresso that tastes ok when you drink it by itself.

Starbucks is basically the McDonalds of coffee, but pretentious about it.

Speaking of pretensions...

McDonalds has coffee. It is so bad. Starbucks is better. Thus SOTAR is wrong!

I don't like Starbucks coffee itself. I get it in lattes and drinks and such. I do think it has an over roasted burnt taste most of the time. But it's generally decent and sometimes can vary by who makes it for you, though they are pretty good about having a consistent product no matter where you are.
    So It Goes on
    NO.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    and drinking just doesn't agree with my digestive system anymore. I have to take pills to supress the acid reflux

and whatever i have that is causing my fatigue and weakness seems to be aggravated by heavy drinking

I got blood work done for acid reflux and so far nothing obviously wrong jumped out.

In the meantime it's pretty clear that alcohol doesn't really work with my stomach. I am very forlornly bidding alcohol adieu, I guess.

Beer makes me weirdly sleepy, too. So ... goodbye, beer. We had some good times.

I don't want to be straightedge this sux :l

Sucker.

Join me in the incredibly mundane and boring world.
    15 minutes of Picard being awesome.

http://youtu.be/Xh_t2fFF3B0
    falasig.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

I am very nervous about today.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I drink a glass or three of whiskey every day, pretty much

I'm pretty sure that's not good

Pretty sure that makes you an alcoholic. :P

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.

eyerollin cause EM already knows, bro

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

also because I wish I had that gif Ludious posts but I couldn't find a small enough one

on a different note, what's the alcohol abuse culture like over there?

I've heard about dudes in suits passing out on the street and such

It's pretty odd. Its a different kind of alcohol abuse. Tends to be less of a "drink a six pack every night" (though those people exist) and more social binge drinking (supported through the work culture, through nomihodai places (all you can drink for a fixed time for a fixed price), through services like the taxi and subways, and given sort of a nod and a wink by society at large).

So yeah, you will see dudes passed out in the street, or being dragged by their friends, or completely knock out drunk on the subway. But on the other hand it is also pretty much completely safe to sleep in the street in Japan (as a man at least).
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    and drinking just doesn't agree with my digestive system anymore. I have to take pills to supress the acid reflux

and whatever i have that is causing my fatigue and weakness seems to be aggravated by heavy drinking

Have you had any tests done?

ton of blood work
    nerve conduction test
    ekg, stress ekg, heart halter, cardiogram
    sleep study (found mild apnia which im getting a mouthguard for, but its far too mild to explain the symptoms)
    some other things im forgetting

Oh, dang, I totally recall asking (or maybe just reading?) you about this before.

Tried b vitamin supplements?

this is why i like starbucks in nyc

they always take credit cards, they dont have minimum charges, they usually have a bathroom you can use for free, and their shit is usually cheap and fast if you get the right item.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Titan seems like an odd way to translate 巨人 which is pretty much giant. In fact it is the name of the Yankees equivalent in Japan.

I figure it is to make them unique, kind of different compared to a straight up giant. But it is still an interesting translation.

On the other hand it's fun to be able to place a titan in orbit around every planet a race has, declare war and wipe them from the galaxy in one fell swoop.

Does it take forever? Yes. Does it put my income a couple hundred in the negative? Absolutely.

Summon the remanent mothership. Last time I did it took a couple titans to fight it off. Thing was tough. Also fun to watch my giant ships to get into it with something their size.

I am almost afraid to keep playing because the more you play the more you face your own ship designs. And the scarier they become.

I still haven't gotten past playing on Easy. Initially because when I started I tried a couple of Normal games but couldn't get a handle on the economy before getting wiped out but at this point mostly because I want to play around with all the different races (or more specifically their hulls) before I start actually playing the game.

However the completio ist in me has been dragging out these games for far too long because oh my go that's a barran ultrarich but I've got terraforming so I'll just colonize it and waste a bunch of time bringing it up to snuff before wait there's another one ok I'll grab that one too etc etc

Might be painful when I finish off the plant people game, bump it up to Normal and have to face all of my own ship designs D:

My last game I was on normal. It isn't much harder. You at least face frigates though which is nice. The bigger fleet battles are pretty awesome.

My first game was just as humans. They were one of my two early neighbors. Being Vulfar which are better at early aggression than teching I attacked early.

I ran into a fleet of miniguns, my Terran base fighter. They had twice the guns of a normal fight and damn they hurt. My Vulfar outnumbered them though.

It cost 39 production.

That's actually one of the weakest points of the game I think. I had a game where I managed to knock out three races ridiculously early because all I had to do was rush some ground forces and ship them off.

Actually ground combat is one of the things I hope gets tweaked at some point for a number of reasons.

Last patch or the patch before they changed how troops work. Or they were planning to. It is going to take population for each troop. So you will lose production for each troop. I think .5 per troop.

Hmm. Not sure that's in yet but that's a fairly elegant way of fixing it. There are definitely times where invading a planet is preferable to wiping it clean entirely from orbit. Making it cost something would be/is a nice change. Now if only the ground combat interface wasn't kinda butts.
    sigtk.jpg
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Good morning [chat].

You must be, you're up at 6am!

What's up?
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm not looking that.

In other news, what?

http://www.earwolf.com/show/pod-cats/

What?
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    So Jacob, I bought the Dogs Playing D&D Poster. All of the rest of my posters are tasteful. This one will show my inner me. Alas I can't get it painted on velvet.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    oh boo hoo i have a few drinks every night and it worries me
    oh boo hoo i lost my job because i can't cope without alcohol
    oh boo hoo my wife and kids left me because i'm a degenerate

god damn babies, the lot of you
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

also because I wish I had that gif Ludious posts but I couldn't find a small enough one

It's pretty odd. Its a different kind of alcohol abuse. Tends to be less of a "drink a six pack every night" (though those people exist) and more social binge drinking (supported through the work culture, through nomihodai places (all you can drink for a fixed time for a fixed price), through services like the taxi and subways, and given sort of a nod and a wink by society at large).

So yeah, you will see dudes passed out in the street, or being dragged by their friends, or completely knock out drunk on the subway. But on the other hand it is also pretty much completely safe to sleep in the street in Japan (as a man at least).

oh wow. that's kinda insane. like give us $20 for two hours we'll give you as much liquor as you want?
    NO.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    How else could I encode messages. Substitution matrix? But it's possible you guys would never figure it out, particularly if the style of the matrix switched partway through the message I was conveying. It could say almost anything!

decoder_ring(1).jpg
    工事中
    Yeah, Starbucks isn't my favorite or anything, but, its drinkable, and, if you like your coffee a certain way I can see liking Starbucks quite a lot.

Though, I guess I should look down my noses at everyone until they get on my level and drink coffee that has been pooped out by ferrets.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Hmm should I nerd it up and force my girl to go to the midnight showing of Into Darkness?

It may be too much work... :-/
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

It cost 39 production.

Hmm. Not sure that's in yet but that's a fairly elegant way of fixing it. There are definitely times where invading a planet is preferable to wiping it clean entirely from orbit. Making it cost something would be/is a nice change. Now if only the ground combat interface wasn't kinda butts.

Yeah I just let it auto run outside of my small runs to capture relics.
    falasig.png
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

I got blood work done for acid reflux and so far nothing obviously wrong jumped out.

In the meantime it's pretty clear that alcohol doesn't really work with my stomach. I am very forlornly bidding alcohol adieu, I guess.

Beer makes me weirdly sleepy, too. So ... goodbye, beer. We had some good times.

I don't want to be straightedge this sux :l

Sucker.

Join me in the incredibly mundane and boring world.

noooooooooooooooooooo

*licks 50 mg of 2cb off a poi twirler's stomach and runs down the street*

Have you had any tests done?

ton of blood work
    nerve conduction test
    ekg, stress ekg, heart halter, cardiogram
    sleep study (found mild apnia which im getting a mouthguard for, but its far too mild to explain the symptoms)
    some other things im forgetting

Oh, dang, I totally recall asking (or maybe just reading?) you about this before.

Tried b vitamin supplements?

i think my blood levels for b vitamins are normal
    podly are we allowed to drink with you or
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    programming's hard yall
    Podly wrote: »
    oh boo hoo i have a few drinks every night and it worries me
    oh boo hoo i lost my job because i can't cope without alcohol
    oh boo hoo my wife and kids left me because i'm a degenerate

god damn babies, the lot of you

ohh my dick stopped working

YEAH WHY DONT YOU CRY ABOUT IT
    NO.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

What's up?

job interview.

Have been awake since about 4.45am. Alarm was set for 5.45am. Need to leave at 7am.

/liz lemon eyeroll

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

oh wow. that's kinda insane. like give us $20 for two hours we'll give you as much liquor as you want?

Yup. Beer, hard alcohol, mixed drinks, sake, etc. What is on the menu differs from place to place but everything is fair game if they have it. Usually you can roll it in with tabehodai which is all you can eat. So, something like $30 or less for all you can drink all you can eat for 2 hours is pretty common. But, it is like, geared towards you drinking/eating in excess. Of course, most Japanese people get thrashed pretty quickly and easily, so, its a smart business move on their part.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    it's fine if we're not it's probably just best to have a clear idea
    i mean, if you can't stomach alcohol anymore and your nasal cavity hasn't caved in yet, you can still have cocktails

3 parts cocaine
    1 part heroine
    1 part ketamine

you'll feel great!
    biden%20sig.png
    Good morning [chat].

What's up?

job interview.

Have been awake since about 4.45am. Alarm was set for 5.45am. Need to leave at 7am.
    You're gonna do great!
    NO.
    Class time, wheee! Toodles for now.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    podly are we allowed to drink with you or

i'd rather not almost lose my job again thank you very much
    biden%20sig.png

/liz lemon eyeroll

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

Yup. Beer, hard alcohol, mixed drinks, sake, etc. What is on the menu differs from place to place but everything is fair game if they have it. Usually you can roll it in with tabehodai which is all you can eat. So, something like $30 or less for all you can drink all you can eat for 2 hours is pretty common. But, it is like, geared towards you drinking/eating in excess. Of course, most Japanese people get thrashed pretty quickly and easily, so, its a smart business move on their part.

Yikes. Yeah american places would lose a lot of money unfortunately.
    NO.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    my legs are pretty sore

i guess i should go to sleep so that stops
    Lh96QHG.png
    I mean, YOU can drink with me, Eddy

because you're a cool dude and can behave in public

biden%20sig.png

/liz lemon eyeroll

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

Japan is very much a different culture when it comes to alcohol. And how men and women are treated in this environment is very different. What is acceptable is also very different as well.

Most of my Japanese friends and teachers thought I was weird that I didn't have a beer every night by myself with dinner and such. Because that is considered normal in Japan not unhealthy.

There is abuse in Japan with alcohol in Japan. But also the view of its place in society is very different and laws of drunk driving and such are so much stronger than the US that it does also change its place. Also societies response to such actions is very different.

I personally think that the US culture around liquor is still much more dangerous and unhealthy than many other cultures including Japan and much of Western Europe.

But there is the bad side to this as well.
    falasig.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Cokebotle wrote: »

decoder_ring(1).jpg

Water boarding image here
    Caveman Paws on
This discussion has been closed.