Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i have the feeling that i should be asleep

i have a more interesting feeling that i have started another game of thrones episode

I have a feeling that you should pause and watch this

http://youtu.be/vgQidVzdneE

I don't know how exactly, but this seems needlessly wasteful.

...how

it's incredibly efficient

one track

one clip

DONE

It probably costs more electricity to store all that, I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if baby koalas were burning dumped into an antiquated furnace used to power the storage device that houses that silly long video.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i want to be good at programming

Code every day. Find projects you want to work on them and start chipping away.

And you will become good.

the real shitter is the intermediary stage where you can define all the terms and write basic functions, but you haven't yet contributed to an existing project or designed a meaningful, novel program. it's a lot easier said than done to code every day or chip away. everything seems to come much easier once you hit that tipping point, but leaping into the first thing is quite a chore.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    just got back from Iron Man 3

verdict: a lot of fun character moments and pleasant surprises that overcome a soggy plot
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I drink a glass or three of whiskey every day, pretty much

I'm pretty sure that's not good

Yeah, I don't like the sound of that or.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am watching the Attack on Titan.

Titan seems like an odd way to translate 巨人 which is pretty much giant. In fact it is the name of the Yankees equivalent in Japan.

I figure it is to make them unique, kind of different compared to a straight up giant. But it is still an interesting translation.

titan is more menacing and badass than giant certainly

Titan is the class of ship I use for galactic genocide

My last game I didn't get past cruisers. Didn't need to.

Vulfar, armies of gnats killing everyone!

I don't think I've played a game yet where I've needed to get past cruisers

On the other hand it's fun to be able to place a titan in orbit around every planet a race has, declare war and wipe them from the galaxy in one fell swoop.

Does it take forever? Yes. Does it put my income a couple hundred in the negative? Absolutely.

But my god is it satisfying

Summon the remanent mothership. Last time I did it took a couple titans to fight it off. Thing was tough. Also fun to watch my giant ships to get into it with something their size.

I am almost afraid to keep playing because the more you play the more you face your own ship designs. And the scarier they become.

Hah, you bring up a slightly worrying point with the ship designs.

I still haven't gotten past playing on Easy. Initially because when I started I tried a couple of Normal games but couldn't get a handle on the economy before getting wiped out but at this point mostly because I want to play around with all the different races (or more specifically their hulls) before I start actually playing the game.

However the completio ist in me has been dragging out these games for far too long because oh my go that's a barran ultrarich but I've got terraforming so I'll just colonize it and waste a bunch of time bringing it up to snuff before wait there's another one ok I'll grab that one too etc etc

Might be painful when I finish off the plant people game, bump it up to Normal and have to face all of my own ship designs D:

My last game I was on normal. It isn't much harder. You at least face frigates though which is nice. The bigger fleet battles are pretty awesome.

My first game was just as humans. They were one of my two early neighbors. Being Vulfar which are better at early aggression than teching I attacked early.

I ran into a fleet of miniguns, my Terran base fighter. They had twice the guns of a normal fight and damn they hurt. My Vulfar outnumbered them though.

But now I am afraid of facing my bomber fleets. Those things are scary.

Oh man... if the AI ever gets a hold of any of my planet cleaner designs?

I'm not sure it'd even be possible to defend myself from them.

My Vulfar bomber is a corvette and using all base technology.

It cost 39 production.

39 production with the Vulfar who are efficient and get cheap ships.

They can clear early planets in seconds.

That's actually one of the weakest points of the game I think. I had a game where I managed to knock out three races ridiculously early because all I had to do was rush some ground forces and ship them off.

Actually ground combat is one of the things I hope gets tweaked at some point for a number of reasons.
    sigtk.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Tony Allen

MVP

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Western Conference Finals baby!

WE COMIN' FO' YOU LEBRON

you going to get dunked on

Nah, not really

I just wanted to say "get dunked on" to be honest

Yeah no.

The Grizzlies have the best front court still in contention (and arguably the best front court in the league)

Unless you're counting LeBron as a frontcourt player, which he's not really. He slashes.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking Christ Starbucks, if a single customer is taking up ten goddamn minutes, you open up the second register.

They're fucking lucky I need my fix.
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    and drinking just doesn't agree with my digestive system anymore. I have to take pills to supress the acid reflux

and whatever i have that is causing my fatigue and weakness seems to be aggravated by heavy drinking
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Pretty sure that makes you an alcoholic. :P
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i pretty much always deeply regret the phases of my life where i drink every day
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    @simonwolf the good news is that I'm now totally free for Friday
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    i have the feeling that i should be asleep

i have a more interesting feeling that i have started another game of thrones episode

I have a feeling that you should pause and watch this

http://youtu.be/vgQidVzdneE

I don't know how exactly, but this seems needlessly wasteful.

...how

it's incredibly efficient

one track

one clip

DONE

It probably costs more electricity to store all that, I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if baby koalas were burning dumped into an antiquated furnace used to power the storage device that houses that silly long video.

/liz lemon eyeroll
    NO.
    i want to be good at programming

Code every day. Find projects you want to work on them and start chipping away.

And you will become good.

the real shitter is the intermediary stage where you can define all the terms and write basic functions, but you haven't yet contributed to an existing project or designed a meaningful, novel program. it's a lot easier said than done to code every day or chip away. everything seems to come much easier once you hit that tipping point, but leaping into the first thing is quite a chore.

Definitely, getting the ball rolling is the hardest part.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be a meaningful or novel program, though, just something that interests you.

One of the first self driven programs one of the best programmers I know made was just something that stored all the different mech parts from his favorite armored core game and let him try mech builds without needing to turn on the game.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's basically like drinking soda every day only worse

I gotta CUT DOWN

who do I think I am, Don Draper?

Well, maybe from the waist down
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Depends on the glass size!
    sigtk.jpg
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This weekend I see Jaws for the first time. It'll be a 35mm experience.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    and drinking just doesn't agree with my digestive system anymore. I have to take pills to supress the acid reflux

and whatever i have that is causing my fatigue and weakness seems to be aggravated by heavy drinking

dang, yo.

:(
    NO.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

Titan seems like an odd way to translate 巨人 which is pretty much giant. In fact it is the name of the Yankees equivalent in Japan.

I figure it is to make them unique, kind of different compared to a straight up giant. But it is still an interesting translation.

On the other hand it's fun to be able to place a titan in orbit around every planet a race has, declare war and wipe them from the galaxy in one fell swoop.

Does it take forever? Yes. Does it put my income a couple hundred in the negative? Absolutely.

Summon the remanent mothership. Last time I did it took a couple titans to fight it off. Thing was tough. Also fun to watch my giant ships to get into it with something their size.

I am almost afraid to keep playing because the more you play the more you face your own ship designs. And the scarier they become.

I still haven't gotten past playing on Easy. Initially because when I started I tried a couple of Normal games but couldn't get a handle on the economy before getting wiped out but at this point mostly because I want to play around with all the different races (or more specifically their hulls) before I start actually playing the game.

However the completio ist in me has been dragging out these games for far too long because oh my go that's a barran ultrarich but I've got terraforming so I'll just colonize it and waste a bunch of time bringing it up to snuff before wait there's another one ok I'll grab that one too etc etc

Might be painful when I finish off the plant people game, bump it up to Normal and have to face all of my own ship designs D:

My last game I was on normal. It isn't much harder. You at least face frigates though which is nice. The bigger fleet battles are pretty awesome.

My first game was just as humans. They were one of my two early neighbors. Being Vulfar which are better at early aggression than teching I attacked early.

I ran into a fleet of miniguns, my Terran base fighter. They had twice the guns of a normal fight and damn they hurt. My Vulfar outnumbered them though.

It cost 39 production.

That's actually one of the weakest points of the game I think. I had a game where I managed to knock out three races ridiculously early because all I had to do was rush some ground forces and ship them off.

Actually ground combat is one of the things I hope gets tweaked at some point for a number of reasons.

Last patch or the patch before they changed how troops work. Or they were planning to. It is going to take population for each troop. So you will lose production for each troop. I think .5 per troop.
    falasig.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am thoroughly enjoying coming up with new ways to encode secret messages on the forums. In this case, find every tenth word and you'll be able to reveal the secret. This is probably the most difficult, but I treasure the challenge. Still, it's tedious, and it may yet kill me. It's something of a mental exercise though, that's the fun. Anyway, this is hard, the final word is batman.

/liz lemon eyeroll
    NO.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Depends on the glass size!

Well, it puts you in a different category of alcoholism

I drink usually an ounce or two per glass

Still a lot of poison

Have you had any tests done?
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I am thoroughly enjoying coming up with new ways to encode secret messages on the forums. In this case, find every tenth word and you'll be able to reveal the secret. This is probably the most difficult, but I treasure the challenge. Still, it's tedious, and it may yet kill me. It's something of a mental exercise though, that's the fun. Anyway, this is hard, the final word is batman.

I WILL NOT KILL BATMAN
    NO.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    In high school the assignments I got for learning programming were to code games of increasing complexity

First was tictactoe
    Then that peg game where you jump a peg and remove the one you jumped over and attempt to finish with one peg
    Then checkers
    Then chess

Was really fun and engaging for me
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I usually have a couple drinks a day, either beer or wine.

In the case of the wine they say it's good for you!

And then once every week or two I will get absolutely sideways.

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.

eyerollin cause EM already knows, bro
    NO.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    also there was this ten-year-old...I don't know the nice word for 'retarded' so I will say 'Hitler bait'...three seats to my left who kept up a QUITE LOUD running commentary throughout the movie and that could have gotten pretty annoying pretty quickly but as it happened he thought everything happening on screen was the most amazing thing ever seen. His mind was constantly being BLOWN and it was kind of endearing and I got into the spirit of it after a while.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

I got blood work done for acid reflux and so far nothing obviously wrong jumped out.

In the meantime it's pretty clear that alcohol doesn't really work with my stomach. I am very forlornly bidding alcohol adieu, I guess.

Beer makes me weirdly sleepy, too. So ... goodbye, beer. We had some good times.

I don't want to be straightedge this sux :l
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

You're gonna need a bigger theater.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

dang, yo.

:(

every doc i've been to hasn't been able to find anything wrong with me

which is frustrating, but my neurologist told me a story when he was relating how nebulous the field of neurology is. essentially most of what they do is not finding a disease but trying to eliminate horrible ones. anyway he went to a doctor trying to find a diagnosis and ended up having a cancer

so at this point it's probably not anything serious since no test and a battery of specialists were able to find anything wrong, and i can still live my life pretty normally

/liz lemon eyeroll

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    desc wrote: »

I got blood work done for acid reflux and so far nothing obviously wrong jumped out.

In the meantime it's pretty clear that alcohol doesn't really work with my stomach. I am very forlornly bidding alcohol adieu, I guess.

Beer makes me weirdly sleepy, too. So ... goodbye, beer. We had some good times.

I don't want to be straightedge this sux :l

dang, yo!

dang guys.
    NO.

/liz lemon eyeroll

Oh, so you just liz lemon eyeroll all the boys?

Okay, fine, I see how it is.
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    Starbucks coffee is civilisation.

*note: not a coffee drinker normally*

You can totally get over sweetened espresso drinks at other places too. However, those other places sell coffee that isn't all so darkly roasted it tastes like ass and sell espresso that tastes ok when you drink it by itself.

Starbucks is basically the McDonalds of coffee, but pretentious about it.

RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

It cost 39 production.

Last patch or the patch before they changed how troops work. Or they were planning to. It is going to take population for each troop. So you will lose production for each troop. I think .5 per troop.

So you can waste population as troops....or cleanse the planet from orbit. Well my long legacy of 4X games being genocide simulators continues.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

Have you had any tests done?

ton of blood work
    nerve conduction test
    ekg, stress ekg, heart halter, cardiogram
    sleep study (found mild apnia which im getting a mouthguard for, but its far too mild to explain the symptoms)
    some other things im forgetting

/liz lemon eyeroll

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

also because I wish I had that gif Ludious posts but I couldn't find a small enough one

on a different note, what's the alcohol abuse culture like over there?

I've heard about dudes in suits passing out on the street and such
    NO.
    redx wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is civilisation.

*note: not a coffee drinker normally*

You can totally get over sweetened espresso drinks at other places too. However, those other places sell coffee that isn't all so darkly roasted it tastes like ass and sell espresso that tastes ok when you drink it by itself.

Starbucks is basically the McDonalds of coffee, but pretentious about it.

Speaking of pretensions...
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

You're gonna need a bigger theater.

I've been wanting to listen to this for a while, and now I'll finally get the chance.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/analyze-fish/

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/analyze-fish-pt-2/
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.