Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I drink a glass or three of whiskey every day, pretty much

I'm pretty sure that's not good

Pretty sure that makes you an alcoholic. :P

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.

eyerollin cause EM already knows, bro

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

also because I wish I had that gif Ludious posts but I couldn't find a small enough one

on a different note, what's the alcohol abuse culture like over there?

I've heard about dudes in suits passing out on the street and such

It's pretty odd. Its a different kind of alcohol abuse. Tends to be less of a "drink a six pack every night" (though those people exist) and more social binge drinking (supported through the work culture, through nomihodai places (all you can drink for a fixed time for a fixed price), through services like the taxi and subways, and given sort of a nod and a wink by society at large).

So yeah, you will see dudes passed out in the street, or being dragged by their friends, or completely knock out drunk on the subway. But on the other hand it is also pretty much completely safe to sleep in the street in Japan (as a man at least).

oh wow. that's kinda insane. like give us $20 for two hours we'll give you as much liquor as you want?

Japan is very much a different culture when it comes to alcohol. And how men and women are treated in this environment is very different. What is acceptable is also very different as well.

Most of my Japanese friends and teachers thought I was weird that I didn't have a beer every night by myself with dinner and such. Because that is considered normal in Japan not unhealthy.

There is abuse in Japan with alcohol in Japan. But also the view of its place in society is very different and laws of drunk driving and such are so much stronger than the US that it does also change its place. Also societies response to such actions is very different.

I personally think that the US culture around liquor is still much more dangerous and unhealthy than many other cultures including Japan and much of Western Europe.

But there is the bad side to this as well.

mazzy this is a fifth grade essay

It is 11 pm, I care little about your thoughts on my writing.

i'm not saying the writing is bad, i'm saying it was very how.com "summarize a topic, thesis statement, conclusion" etc

Go program something.

I'M TRYING MAZZY IT'S HARD

And I have been writing all day, cut a bro some slack.

never, this is a jihad
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Also funny is how in the US Tim Hortons is listed as Cafe and Bake Shop

trust me ive been a "baker" at Tim Hortons there is no baking what so ever being done there
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have been singing Space Oddity at the top of my lungs at home every day since Had field made that video

Only the verses I remember though

My neighbours must be delighted
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    i want to be good at programming

Code every day. Find projects you want to work on them and start chipping away.

And you will become good.
    Along with what Inq said (I don't know how experienced you are, so you might already know all this):

Learn the basics of a variety of languages, especially those that aren't related to each other. Languages tend to encourage different styles of programming and ways of solving problems, and having those in your toolkit will help even if you don't use the languages afterward.

Try to write good comments, which is kind of a big topic on its own. Short story, try to make individual lines of code as readable as reasonably possibly (to someone who knows the language naturally) so the code's mostly self-documenting, and most comments should be about why you do things certain ways rather than what you're doing (exception: 1 comment per function saying what it does if it's not obvious).

Don't forget about security: write your functions as if they're being called by an attacker trying to crash or otherwise hack the computer, because that just might end up being the case someday. That means making no assumptions whatsoever about the input that aren't checked by either you or the compiler.

Check for edge cases: Some code will run fine most of the time but fail for specific values like 0 or INT_MAX-1.

Understand Big-O notation: Know what it means and how to calculate what the Order of a given function is. Try to minimize it in general.

Don't optimize prematurely: Unless speed is an absolutely paramount concern don't bother optimizing individual lines of code (in the sense of getting rid of a couple additions, for example). Minimizing the Order of a function will do far more for its speed in most cases than micro-optimizations. If speed is paramount check all your assumptions; it's silly to worry about optimizing a scripting language if you can use a C variant instead.

Seek out information: Try to find articles online about programming. Not all of them will be good, but with experience and practice you shouldn't have too hard a time figuring out what to follow and what to ignore. Also sites like stackoverflow can help you find new ideas/techniques.

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

trust me ive been a "baker" at Tim Hortons there is no baking what so ever being done there

I thought Canadians bashing on Timmy's was against the rules? We get the worst Canadians around these parts. Not even hearing the typical, eh, eh?
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Also we need that with actual music.

http://youtu.be/yK0P1Bk8Cx4
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    I drink a glass or three of whiskey every day, pretty much

I'm pretty sure that's not good

Pretty sure that makes you an alcoholic. :P

/liz lemon eyeroll

I love you SiG, but, you will never be my go to for what is a healthy amount to drink, sorry.

eyerollin cause EM already knows, bro

Ah, well then.

*doffs hat*

Nothing to see here.

also because I wish I had that gif Ludious posts but I couldn't find a small enough one

on a different note, what's the alcohol abuse culture like over there?

I've heard about dudes in suits passing out on the street and such

It's pretty odd. Its a different kind of alcohol abuse. Tends to be less of a "drink a six pack every night" (though those people exist) and more social binge drinking (supported through the work culture, through nomihodai places (all you can drink for a fixed time for a fixed price), through services like the taxi and subways, and given sort of a nod and a wink by society at large).

So yeah, you will see dudes passed out in the street, or being dragged by their friends, or completely knock out drunk on the subway. But on the other hand it is also pretty much completely safe to sleep in the street in Japan (as a man at least).

oh wow. that's kinda insane. like give us $20 for two hours we'll give you as much liquor as you want?

Japan is very much a different culture when it comes to alcohol. And how men and women are treated in this environment is very different. What is acceptable is also very different as well.

Most of my Japanese friends and teachers thought I was weird that I didn't have a beer every night by myself with dinner and such. Because that is considered normal in Japan not unhealthy.

There is abuse in Japan with alcohol in Japan. But also the view of its place in society is very different and laws of drunk driving and such are so much stronger than the US that it does also change its place. Also societies response to such actions is very different.

I personally think that the US culture around liquor is still much more dangerous and unhealthy than many other cultures including Japan and much of Western Europe.

But there is the bad side to this as well.

mazzy this is a fifth grade essay

It is 11 pm, I care little about your thoughts on my writing.

i'm not saying the writing is bad, i'm saying it was very how.com "summarize a topic, thesis statement, conclusion" etc

Go program something.

I'M TRYING MAZZY IT'S HARD

And I have been writing all day, cut a bro some slack.

never, this is a jihad

http://youtu.be/t0HbN-N7W1I
    falasig.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

I thought Canadians bashing on Timmy's was against the rules? We get the worst Canadians around these parts. Not even hearing the typical, eh, eh?

I'm sorry we can't all be stereotypes, MadCaddy.
    :o
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Also we need that with actual music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30hr7DyAuAY

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    where are my videos with Tobias inserted

internet you have failed me
    NO.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    You want shit coffee? You go to Tim Hortons

Woah woah, SiG.

You can't agree this post!

That's our word.

we have tim hortons in new england

it's a small step up from dunkies

and dunkies is complete shit
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is civilisation.

*note: not a coffee drinker normally*

You can totally get over sweetened espresso drinks at other places too. However, those other places sell coffee that isn't all so darkly roasted it tastes like ass and sell espresso that tastes ok when you drink it by itself.

Starbucks is basically the McDonalds of coffee, but pretentious about it.

Speaking of pretensions...

That's nothing. You should see me get picky about beer.

seriously, go buy starbucks coffee in a bag. Compare it to anything else that costs the same amount. Basically everything else is better.

The stores do have competent help. But, so do lots and lots of non-chain places. Plenty of them use actually good coffee, but you never know what you are going to get. Starbucks is safe, which is nice when you are stumbling about in the morning, but never actually great.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Okay bed, Mazzy tired.
    falasig.png

You must fit into my narrowly defined stereotypes of the Canadians I've met, or be one of them weird Asian ones that're hot and like electronic music, or Frenchy. These are the rules, I didn't make them, and if there's one thing we all know you all are all very polite, and love to follow the rules... Or were those Kids in the Hall documentaries i sat through been all for not? I was trying to learn the culture of the promised land!
    dunkies is great

you just don't get good coffee from dunkies

you get dunkies coffee

it has its place
    biden%20sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Duncan is so bad

My parents actually had some ground Duncan brand coffee, I refused to drink it. No.
    NO.
    Slider....

You stink

note to self:

do not order the sliders
    haha

duncan =/= dunkies
    biden%20sig.png
    Podly wrote: »
    haha

duncan =/= dunkies

I stand by my statement anyway!
    NO.

no it means you need to be baked to even consider eating there
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

He said politely
    sigtk.jpg
    And now Dave Foley is on my TV.. Are you magicians now too?!
    Irond Will wrote: »

no it means you need to be baked to even consider eating there

I used to grab a bagel from them

yknow whatever midwest bagels ain't good anywhere
    NO.
    i mean, it could be worse

you could have to go to honeydew donuts

the only acceptable time to drink honeydew donuts coffee is when you have a 6am hockey practice and you don't care about anything and would that you could will the world to end
    biden%20sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    if you can't take a commuter rail train to nyc you can't get a good bagel that's just a fact
    biden%20sig.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

He said politely

Always apologizing, us Canadians. :o
    goddd the bagel scene here is so decrepit now

fuuuu
    NO.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait.

System Shock 2 is in my Steam library?

I... um... ok then.
    sigtk.jpg
    Real talk

Sad talk

I don't think I've ever had a good bagel.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Alright, classes finished for the day

Gonna have some tea and answer some Important Emails

then start my Japanese practice

and then think about formatting the Montsegur logs into an AP thread or some such
    turtlesig.jpg
    Real talk

Sad talk

we now know you need to stop in NYC on your vacation.

the capital of bagels.
    NO.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Real talk

Sad talk

FACT

Go get a bagel and some lox and cream cheese and capers or something.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    And now Dave Foley is on my TV.. Are you magicians now too?!

Come on. Dave Foley back on TV isn't magic. Nope, that can only be a demonic pact.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I tried to buy a bagel in New York but I didn't order it jewily enough and they all turned into serpents and chased me out of the city
    Real talk

Sad talk

Everything bagel, with a little lox... Mmmmmm
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Real talk

Sad talk

When I was in NYC it was like I found religion when I had a real bagel.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Alright, classes finished for the day

Gonna have some tea and answer some Important Emails

then start my Japanese practice

and then think about formatting the Montsegur logs into an AP thread or some such

I have two Important Emails I started writing four hours ago.

Since then I've dicked around on the internet. No progress.

You are better at this than me.
This discussion has been closed.