Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Man, I never pulled that "i don't have homework" stuff because I was terrified of bad grades and getting called out teachers. My parents reactions were an afterthought at best.

And my son's expressed interest in becoming an engineer. While sure, schools might not look at Grade 8 marks as much as say later years of HS now is the time to start putting effort in because it sure as heck isn't going to get any easier and I'd like him to try and take some pride in what he does if he wants to succeed.
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Welp, you may remember that I sent a very silly inquiry note to a director of social media at Whole Foods yesterday, asking how to find a person to talk with about a Director-level job offer there.

This morning I get:
    Hi,

That is pretty direct. I appreciate it in today's fluff-filled world. Have you already submitted and application online? For all of our positions that's a critical first step.

I work on the marketing side of the house so I'm not 100% sure who is hiring for this position but I know who to ask. I'll do that and see if they are willing to have direct contact with applicants or if they would prefer to initiative conversations themselves as part of the hiring process.

I'll get back to you in the next day or so.

i will say that someone from marketing complaining about "today's fluff-filled world" is...

well it's pretty rich

It is kinda, isn't it. :)

But hey, maybe Whole Foods is a different sort of-

ehhh, no it's pretty funny regardless.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    also do you remember these

Zelda_Game_Watch.jpg

i deffo had one of them

a mario one i think?

man it's an 80's/early 90's kid nostalgia fest all up ins

AwsnxFQ.jpg

Nintendo needs to bring this back.

OMG

Tamagochis!!!

(ノ °益°)ノ ︵ (\ .o.)\

this ain't no tamagochi. It's a pikachu.

show some respect.

yeah but it reminded me of tamogochis and how i used to have a t-rex one and it was aaawwwwwwweeeeesooooooooome
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Man, I never pulled that "i don't have homework" stuff because I was terrified of bad grades and getting called out teachers. My parents reactions were an afterthought at best.

i just didn't bother with the homework and then dissolved into a gibbering pool of stress and terror when my teachers confronted me about it

kinda a lot like what i do these days tbh
    Pretty much the same.

The thing was, if my parents punished me for not doing homework. All it made me do is not want to do homework at all.

So I didn't

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Geth knows how it is.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Welp, you may remember that I sent a very silly inquiry note to a director of social media at Whole Foods yesterday, asking how to find a person to talk with about a Director-level job offer there.

This morning I get:
    Hi,

That is pretty direct. I appreciate it in today's fluff-filled world. Have you already submitted and application online? For all of our positions that's a critical first step.

I work on the marketing side of the house so I'm not 100% sure who is hiring for this position but I know who to ask. I'll do that and see if they are willing to have direct contact with applicants or if they would prefer to initiative conversations themselves as part of the hiring process.

i will say that someone from marketing complaining about "today's fluff-filled world" is...

well it's pretty rich

Whole Foods literally survives on its marketing to the granola crowd, there is no regardless here.

Eat your HFCS and like it, peons!
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    I was a great student all through out school, I still didn't bother with homework until either lunch or my homeroom the morning the HW was due. Then there was college.... hah man did i procrastinate the shit out of that work.
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Geth knows how it is.

Naw, he just lulled you into a false sense of security. Now you're on the list.
    t7zsk1.jpg
    I do know that the hiring process is full of nightmarish attempts to sound like you and the job offer are star-crossed lovers, or like you're two halves of the Money Power Rod of Financial Dominance that will transform the world if only the hiring manager will unite them.

So maybe somebody just cutting through the BS and going "Look, I want to work for you and I know the job I want to do" is kinda refreshing?

w/e I just want the interview.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    SammyF wrote: »

This morning I get:
    Hi,

well it's pretty rich

Whole Foods literally survives on its marketing to the granola crowd, there is no regardless here.

I legitimately do like the company though, and I remember it when it was just the one Austin market that always got flooded out in the springtime. And the Whole Earth Trading Co. where I bought my climbing gear before REI was a thing. And the WELL BBS.

oldskool, yo

:)

i just didn't bother with the homework and then dissolved into a gibbering pool of stress and terror when my teachers confronted me about it

kinda a lot like what i do these days tbh
    Pretty much the same.

The thing was, if my parents punished me for not doing homework. All it made me do is not want to do homework at all.

So I didn't

same it was partly what you said it was either too hard or too boring partly that i thought homework was bullshit (they get me for eight hours a day and they want my free time too?? FUCK OFF)

i just have problems with motivation and attention span, and i get to a point where i've procrastinated enough and i feel i may as well just not do it

the issues were never solved as a kid

i still have them as an adult
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    someone recommend me music in the mode of total annihilation's soundtrack, or red alert 2's soundtrack (these are p different but I am open to either). last.fm is handing me generic game OSTs
    ronya on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I didn't do a lot of assignments in school

one year in AP English I gave my teacher a fit because I added up the number of points I needed to get a B and then stopped doing work when I hit that number
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Aaaaaagggghhhhh....

Why does my internet not load pages properly?

First off, it loads super slowly.
    Second, it gives up halfway through!

Here's what IMGur looks like to me!
    m2wue8R.png
    I didn't do a lot of assignments in school

one year in AP English I gave my teacher a fit because I added up the number of points I needed to get a B and then stopped doing work when I hit that number

one time I dropped English the moment I got my college offer

this bit me in the ass a year later when I was asked to prove English proficiency
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    I did all my homework in school and Uni cos I am a swot.
    BobCesca wrote: »

you don't say
    I do know that the hiring process is full of nightmarish attempts to sound like you and the job offer are star-crossed lovers, or like you're two halves of the Money Power Rod of Financial Dominance that will transform the world if only the hiring manager will unite them.

So maybe somebody just cutting through the BS and going "Look, I want to work for you and I know the job I want to do" is kinda refreshing?

I am so disillusioned with work right now

tired of people drinking the koolaid about how critical their job is, tired of management attempts to raise engagement so they can wring more work out of us without making changes that would actually make people, you know, happier to be here

and the saddest part is that it's my job to brew the koolaid

combine equal parts sugar, and koolaid packet, mix with tears ;_;
    Man, if I get this, I'll maybe just take the stupid little train into downtown and walk to work. That would be pretty excellent.

My daughter would love it because she'd get to use the car. :)
    SammyF wrote: »

This morning I get:
    Hi,

well it's pretty rich

I legitimately do like the company though, and I remember it when it was just the one Austin market that always got flooded out in the springtime. And the Whole Earth Trading Co. where I bought my climbing gear before REI was a thing. And the WELL BBS.

oldskool, yo

:)

Don't get me wrong, I like it too! I am mainly thinking of my vegan roommate from six years ago who would stand there in the kitchen and tell me about how her prepared meals were so much healthier than what I was eating because she would go literally to the other end of the city to the whole foods, and I stopped by the Safeway on the way home.

And I was like, bitch, everything I am eating is made from raw ingredients, and everything you're eating is frozen because you literally don't know how to work the oven, put down the marketing brochures!

well I mean

the following year I did flunk out of college so
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

tired of people drinking the koolaid about how critical their job is, tired of management attempts to raise engagement so they can wring more work out of us without making changes that would actually make people, you know, happier to be here

Yesterday my boss called me into his office to ask me why an issue was labeled "Trivial" in the ticket system. I explained the severity scale to him (Trivial, Minor, Major, Critical) and he told me he was worried the user would get offended by having the problem labeled trivial.

I had to change the issue to "minor impairment".

So I did that, and then sent out another application. :(
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    All my parents did was tell me who went to college and who got good/bad grades amongst our relatives and acquaintances. I worked out what needed to be done. It's not like it's a confusing game to play, there aren't enough rock stars or pro ball players to offset the message.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    A good friend had an AP teacher that was known for not giving a shit about students. He decided to stop turning in papers just to see if he could get a reaction out of the guy. The same time this was happening, he was piling up unexcused absences playing ffvi. It finally came to a reckoning, and the teacher held him after class telling him to turn in assignments. He considered it a success.

I don't know about his grade in the class but he was the only kid in the school (3000 strong) to make a 5 — the max score — on the AP English exam.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I was a really shitty student. I'd get As on tests but it came so easy to me that I think I thought I was above homework or something. That and probably just not really getting that sometimes you have to go through the motions to get by in life. I ended up graduating like 108 out of ~400 only because I took all AP/Honors courses and those were weighted as if they were 2/1 letter grades higher than normal classes.

My parents weren't really able to get me to do it either. I would just flow away from any commands, and if told to go to my room I'd just read which I was fine with. Plus I think they thought I could get into a pretty good school based on just my SAT score and its not like I was impregnating meth addicts so they were counting their blessings. So I just got constant "living up to potential" stuff until high school and by then most of the teachers knew about me and just shook their heads. Every once in a while one would ask me why I didn't get my head out of my ass in a polite way but I just has a block and by then it was kinda my thing. I was the lazy guy.

College taught me that you can't just breeze by without doing work even when you're not getting paid (that kind of work was never a problem) because its even less about tests and more about showing up. But I almost assuredly would be making more money and would have had more college opportunities if I hadn't been a dumbass.
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

Yesterday my boss called me into his office to ask me why an issue was labeled "Trivial" in the ticket system. I explained the severity scale to him (Trivial, Minor, Major, Critical) and he told me he was worried the user would get offended by having the problem labeled trivial.

Well clearly the secret is to have an indecipherable scale, spool!

It should go: A+, Four Gold Stars, 5/5, Dub step.

TICKET 000018727 -- Updating Trivial in Ticketing System to Avoid Employee Offense
    Ticket Impact: Trivial
    I've just replaced this
    neglogLSTAR <- function(b,nobs,y1,y2,maxlag){

v1 <- rep(0, nobs)
    		v2 <- rep(0, nobs)
    		lt <- rep(0, nobs)

for (t in (maxlag+1):nobs) {
    			tau <- t - nobs/2

w1 <- 1/( 1 + exp(-b[1]*(tau - b[2]*nobs) ) )        
    			v1[t] <- y1[t] -
    			     ( b[ 5] + b[ 6]*y1[t-1]              + b[ 7]*y1[t-2]              + b[ 8]*y1[t-3]              + b[ 9]*y1[t-4]              + b[10]*y1[t-5]              + b[11]*y1[t-6] ) -
    			- ( (b[12] + b[13]*w1)*y2[t-1] + (b[14] + b[15]*w1)*y2[t-2] + (b[16] + b[17]*w1)*y2[t-3] + (b[18] + b[19]*w1)*y2[t-4] + (b[20] + b[21]*w1)*y2[t-5] + (b[22] + b[23]*w1)*y2[t-6] )

w2 <- 1/( 1 + exp(-b[3]*(tau - b[4]*nobs) ) )         
    			v2[t] <- y2[t] -
    			     ( b[24] + b[25]*y2[t-1]              + b[26]*y2[t-2]              + b[27]*y2[t-3]              + b[28]*y2[t-4]              + b[29]*y2[t-5]              + b[30]*y2[t-6] ) -
    			( (b[31] + b[32]*w2)*y1[t-1] + (b[33] + b[34]*w2)*y1[t-2] + (b[35] + b[36]*w2)*y1[t-3] + (b[37] + b[38]*w2)*y1[t-4] + (b[39] + b[40]*w2)*y1[t-5] + (b[41] + b[42]*w2)*y1[t-6] )

}

# Exclude the first maxlag observations  
    		v <- trimr(cbind(v1,v2),maxlag,0) 
    		n <- nrow(v)
    		k <- ncol(v)

vc <- t(v) %*% v/n

for (t in 1:(nobs-maxlag)) {
    			lt[t] <- - k*0.5*log(2*pi) - 0.5*log(det(vc)) - 0.5*v[t,] %*% inv(vc) %*% cbind(v[t,])
    		}

#  Log-likelihood is not defined for the last maxlag observations  
    		lf <- - mean( trimr(lt,0,maxlag) )
    		return(lf)
    	}

with this
    sumOfSquaredResiduals <- function(b,y1,y2){
    		tau <- t-152/2

w1 <- 1/( 1 + exp(-b[1]*(tau - b[2]*nobs) ) )
    		w2 <- 1/( 1 + exp(-b[3]*(tau - b[4]*nobs) ) )

y1Regression <- dynlm(y1 ~ L(y1, 1:6) + L(y2, 1:6) + L(w1*y2) + 1)
    		y2Regression <- dynlm(y2 ~ L(y2, 1:6) + L(y1, 1:6) + L(w1*y1) + 1)

sumOfSquares <- sum(y1Regression$residuals^2) + sum(y2Regression$residuals^2)
    	}

note 42 --> 4 parameters to optimize over
    edited May 2013
    i have never got the knack for doing assignments

ever

it's the primary reason for my abject failure in all forms of education

i can never just sit down, plan it out, say "this task will take x hours", and just begin the work

can't do it, as soon as i think about it my gut churns and my brain produces an automatic "NOPE" impulse that cancels out the command to do the work

it always takes a looming deadline and a fit of stress and panic to push me into action and I'll push something half assed out at the 11th hour just before the deadline passes (if i'm lucky, if i'm not i fuck it up and miss the deadline)

don't get me wrong I've achieved some good grades with this method so i'm apparently not a complete idiot, but the problem is it kills me and i hate it more than anything else in the world
    so yeah, i just lack some necessary quality necessary for academic success and i'm not sure how to get it
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @desc it seems I may have a date for saturday so if u r not totally destroyed what say you to games and scenes tonight?

@jacobkosh k!
    edited May 2013
    Lying to your parents is weird. I remember I used to never lie to my parents. Then one time my parents lied to me when I was 8 and I was like- "Oh that's how things are" and basically never felt any guilt over lying to them afterwards and would do so all the time.
    Antinumeric on
    basically R gets a lot better when you actually reflect on what the hell you are doing for a solid hour rather than debugging clumsy code
    Can no one help me with my butt internet problems?

nature may have crippled you but it also gave you one hell of a brain

i am jelly of your smarts
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Man, if I get this, I'll maybe just take the stupid little train into downtown and walk to work. That would be pretty excellent.

i thought you lived in like dallas

aren't trains illegal down there?
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Can no one help me with my butt internet problems?

I can continue

also my help desk work site is down

i thought you lived in like dallas

aren't trains illegal down there?

No, man, Trains are big. What else would bandits hop on to hold up people?
This discussion has been closed.