Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.

hes an economic elite who believes property rights trump human rights

you're a social elite who believes birth rights trump human rights

the two of you would make a great sitcom together

I wouldn't call him "elite" in any sense of the word. I'd just call him rich and thats it. To believe that someone is elite needs to have something else. Rich people cannot be classed alongside the dukes and counts of Europe for example.

Yes, they're often very cash-poor.

It's why so many of them turn assets like estates and property over to the National Trust.

Isn't it true that Queen Elizabeth is "house poor" when it comes to Buckingham Palace, and Charlie Boy is gonna sell that shit post haste when he gets his shot at the iron throne?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I wouldn't call him "elite" in any sense of the word. I'd just call him rich and thats it. To believe that someone is elite needs to have something else. Rich people cannot be classed alongside the dukes and counts of Europe for example.

true dat

rich people have power and influence

Only in America, I think, they do. Elsewhere in the world the forms of elitism has continued, if hidden behind the veil of equality, unchecked and still continues to do so. Unless of course scandals break out which is then somewhat exposed.

Only in America.

And Britain and Europe and China and Australia and the Middle East and Russia and Canada and and and

Completely disagree about the Middle East where Royalty still shines true and bright and has continued on.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    european nobility, apart from the very few that still have their own nation, tend to be not very well-off at all, and wield little to no influence.
    xlh6c3.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    the thing about population issues in growth is that it is completely dominated by industrial takeoff. as long you have some surplus to divert to takeoff - and, in the modern world, you can always borrow this surplus from a country that has already taken off - population has little obvious relation how well you can vault into growth.

We are drowning in so many possible explanations where population increases takeoff growth through the availability of local markets for industrially-produced consumer goods; certainly the raw regressions tell us nothing.

it is true that as long growth is principally agricultural, population determines growth. But if you're stuck in this trap, you're screwed already anyway. There are no wealthy countries whose economic output is predominantly agricultural. Even if you have very low population per arable area.

I watched the vice on Friday that spoke about how China's current Finance ministry is propagating a real estate bubble, and it just kept showing on the vacant McMansions in the ghost cities. Chinas prospects really aren't looking to hot with their current leadership, hopefully Bo has an ace up his sleeve for their sake.

strong similarities to the 1997 asian financial crisis

and it should be noted that whilst it was severe, the 97 crisis had essentially no impact on long-term growth

Apparently China creates construction projects that never sell and adds them into its GDP, and this (according to VICE, so its probably exaggerated a lil bit) to the tune of 5 trillion dollars over the last 30 years

I don't think it's quite so dire but China will be in for some turmoil if they hit a recession

it turns out that it's actually rather hard to pour completely useless concrete; malinvestment is not as high as the Austrians would prefer. the world is more Keynesian: even if you added capital really, really badly, the amount of damage to wealth this does is second-order to first-order concerns like "how much capital do you have, and how low is your unemployment"

I agree, and in the present term this is a huge boon

The problem this is all a hugely inefficient use of resources and they can't keep up this pace forever, eventually it's going to be need to be replaced by some sustainable economic activity or they're going to have a huge problem
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

"elite" in the US either means money or education/ expertise

in a lot of ways we look down on the scions of wealth, since we tend to see it as unearned privilege.

we, as a people, don't really culturally subscribe to the coda that seem to regarding "elitism"

you'll find some exceptions, but for the most part this is true
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Yes, they're often very cash-poor.

It's why so many of them turn assets like estates and property over to the National Trust.

The British nobility are famously skint

it's practically one of the defining characteristics of the breed

turns out being a useless inbred twerp with no knowledge or skills doesn't pay the upkeep on a 17th century country mansion which is about on par with the cost of a regular three bedroom house in a decent area each and every year
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Ho ho, someone in another department is "looking forward to my application" when this job posting goes live.

It's nice to have friends in moderately high places.

are you moving up from jizz mopper to seat sanitizer at the adult emporium?
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    what do world records have to do with beer anyway?

They resolve most disputes that come up when beer is involved.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

true dat

Only in America, I think, they do. Elsewhere in the world the forms of elitism has continued, if hidden behind the veil of equality, unchecked and still continues to do so. Unless of course scandals break out which is then somewhat exposed.

Only in America.

And Britain and Europe and China and Australia and the Middle East and Russia and Canada and and and

Completely disagree about the Middle East where Royalty still shines true and bright and has continued on.

Aw, I've missed you.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Summoner's Rift is for skkkrubz
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    You hedge in a way that removes all meaning.

gonna use this

gonna use this so much
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    salmon rolls done - I may have overstuffed them, but the cream cheese mix thing I made is tasty as heck

I'm eating what's left of it spread on the leftover lefser and rolled

and it's tasty as heck

cream cheese, solid amount of dill, black pepper, salt, lemon juice, red onion very finely diced

This sounds very good. I like lox and cream cheese on bagels, but grocery store lox makes me sick and I don't want to make special trips to get higher quality fish just for a few breakfasts. :(

Might go for regular smoked salmon if they have it? Safer, as in, grocery store smoked salmon will probably be good.

Although I have no idea how good stuff you can get in grocery stores over there. Here, salmon is one thing where it's hard to get better quality than in most grocery stores.

Although it's not at grocery store prices.

Yeah, my problem is that my stomach is really sensitive to fish. I don't want to pay a lot but it's really not a good idea for me to go cheap unless I don't mind sitting on the toilet for an hour.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Stupid fish and stupid people who can eat fish
    Solomaxwell6 on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

oh my god the episodes write themselves

He's right, though. Bill Gates, for example, has way more power and political pull than any European duke or count

I dunno, Duke William of Cambridge, my future sovereign and your rightful king, brother of Prince Harry the Dish who is touring the United States of Lustful Prince Loving States has some theoretical power
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Ho ho, someone in another department is "looking forward to my application" when this job posting goes live.

It's nice to have friends in moderately high places.

are you moving up from jizz mopper to seat sanitizer at the adult emporium?

I'll have you know I am weekend manager for jizz mopping.
    Lh96QHG.png
    rich people have power and influence everywhere, but I think few places to the degree like in the US.

"Be really rich" seems to be a natural and accepted prerequisite for the higher levels of politics there.

eh, among western social democracies they wield the most power in America

in places like most of Africa they can and sometimes do wield virtually unlimited and unchecked power, unless I'm mistaken Debeers has basically wiped out entire villages by proxy
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    european nobility, apart from the very few that still have their own nation, tend to be not very well-off at all, and wield little to no influence.

Still be awesome to have that title when it comes time to renew your passport.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Richy wrote: »
    Doing my annual report for the dean right now. By my latest count, I have 9 on-going research projects. I'm also teaching four courses and chairing two committees. And I'm president of a Rotary club. And I wonder why I felt a bit overworked...

What are rotary clubs all about?

I just assume its a type of sex cult hiding behind a quaint façade.
    Caveman Paws on
    Kalkino wrote: »

He's right, though. Bill Gates, for example, has way more power and political pull than any European duke or count

I dunno, Duke William of Cambridge, my future sovereign and your rightful king, brother of Prince Harry the Dish who is touring the United States of Lustful Prince Loving States has some theoretical power

Theoretically, Michael Bay makes movies.
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular

true dat

Only in America.

Aw, I've missed you.

If you have proof, I'd love to see it.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    um I mostly play league of legends

I will probably fire up tf2 maybe this weekend, I haven't played that in like a year but I used to love it

I have walking dead and sr3 to play but I think those are single player

probably lol has too big a learning curve for us to play together

we can try that marvel game when it comes out with @desc

I don't feel it would be good to play so much LoL that I'm finally able to get beaten by you.

yeah the learning curve is redonk

like up until lvl 30 you're going to be so bewildered by the 100 champions and the mechanics and the overall strategy

I seriously think it takes a few hundred hours to get into it, which is why I dropped dota2 quickly

even if I get the overall idea of a moba, ain't nobody got time to relearn all that shit
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

Heck David and Charles Koch have more power than some European governments. Goldmann Sachs basically destroyed Greece with what was really some minor (by their standards) book cooking

Please tell me your understanding of what Goldman Sachs did to Greece.

This isn't me being pompous/arrogant, I wanna know if the media did a good job of explaining that one because that shit is :ar! :evil: O_o
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

true dat

Only in America.

Aw, I've missed you.

that he's missed you?

true dat

Only in America.

Aw, I've missed you.

Correct me if I'm completely off base, but in the middle eastern countries where the monarchy has the most power, aren't the monarchy coincidentally among the richest individuals as well?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

I will probably fire up tf2 maybe this weekend, I haven't played that in like a year but I used to love it

we can try that marvel game when it comes out with desc

Let's play LoL's together.. I kinda raged quit after losing my promotion series for gold and getting demoted to silver 4 with strait losses and trolls as a result.

you are welcome to play with us, we've been aram-ing often lately

very few countries in europe would let you have the title in your passport. Or care about it at all.
    xlh6c3.png

true dat

Only in America.

Aw, I've missed you.

Proof of what? Rich people having power all across the world and monarchies being increasingly meaningless?

May I present to you The World As It Was: May 16 2013.

I can think of like, Jordan and Saudi Arabia as I guess technically being accurate for your view, but honestly your point is wrong.

The monied have far more power and influence than any prancing duke might play to.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

we can try that marvel game when it comes out with @desc

I don't feel it would be good to play so much LoL that I'm finally able to get beaten by you.

yeah the learning curve is redonk

like up until lvl 30 you're going to be so bewildered by the 100 champions and the mechanics and the overall strategy

I seriously think it takes a few hundred hours to get into it, which is why I dropped dota2 quickly

even if I get the overall idea of a moba, ain't nobody got time to relearn all that shit

Just play ARAM, only buy the OP champs so you have a better chance of playing them.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    offhand remark:

@override267
    especially because outside of like, North Korea, most of the poorest nations on earth suck almost directly because of the history of western powers fucking their shit

this is remarkably hard to prove in the long-term growth regressions

like, the orthodox argument qua Maddison is that colonization was a net negative for the colonizers. it's merely that wealthy elites in colonizing nations reaped the benefits, whereas consumers and workers and soldiers of those nations paid the costs.

and if you get into "but you intervened in my politics", you encounter the uncomfortable point of countries that should have been well-set but self-destructed (Africa), or countries that plausibly benefited from Western domination (east asia), which really skew any regressions
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

true dat

Only in America.

Aw, I've missed you.

I'm just curious... what would you accept as proof that power is where the money is in the middle east?
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
    @IcyLiquid

any time you wanna implement a Vanilla Wallet™ that allows you to store money to use against banning people and/or other terrible punishments I want to be beta tester #1. I've got a hundo waiting on you. You could donate the funds to Child's Play!

Heck David and Charles Koch have more power than some European governments. Goldmann Sachs basically destroyed Greece with what was really some minor (by their standards) book cooking

Please tell me your understanding of what Goldman Sachs did to Greece.

This isn't me being pompous/arrogant, I wanna know if the media did a good job of explaining that one because that shit is :ar! :evil: O_o

basically they hid the extent of Greece's troubles so that they could continue to borrow money that they realistically could not pay back, I have more info but not at my fingertips as I'm focusing attention between command prompts and chat and this is not conducive to research
    the thing about population issues in growth is that it is completely dominated by industrial takeoff. as long you have some surplus to divert to takeoff - and, in the modern world, you can always borrow this surplus from a country that has already taken off - population has little obvious relation how well you can vault into growth.

We are drowning in so many possible explanations where population increases takeoff growth through the availability of local markets for industrially-produced consumer goods; certainly the raw regressions tell us nothing.

it is true that as long growth is principally agricultural, population determines growth. But if you're stuck in this trap, you're screwed already anyway. There are no wealthy countries whose economic output is predominantly agricultural. Even if you have very low population per arable area.

I watched the vice on Friday that spoke about how China's current Finance ministry is propagating a real estate bubble, and it just kept showing on the vacant McMansions in the ghost cities. Chinas prospects really aren't looking to hot with their current leadership, hopefully Bo has an ace up his sleeve for their sake.

strong similarities to the 1997 asian financial crisis

and it should be noted that whilst it was severe, the 97 crisis had essentially no impact on long-term growth

Apparently China creates construction projects that never sell and adds them into its GDP, and this (according to VICE, so its probably exaggerated a lil bit) to the tune of 5 trillion dollars over the last 30 years

I don't think it's quite so dire but China will be in for some turmoil if they hit a recession

it turns out that it's actually rather hard to pour completely useless concrete; malinvestment is not as high as the Austrians would prefer. the world is more Keynesian: even if you added capital really, really badly, the amount of damage to wealth this does is second-order to first-order concerns like "how much capital do you have, and how low is your unemployment"

I agree, and in the present term this is a huge boon

The problem this is all a hugely inefficient use of resources and they can't keep up this pace forever, eventually it's going to be need to be replaced by some sustainable economic activity or they're going to have a huge problem

it is sustainable

they have a ton of people, who are not in cities, who want to be in cities
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the worries about 1950s-era population concerns are motivated here by, I think,, a chunk of ignorance about just how much richer the rich countries are than poor countries. we are talking orders of magnitude here. these are not minor differences.

rodrikpoorrich.png

like, I'm sure sometimes my apparent toleration for authoritarian murderousness seems unusual, but the motivation here is that the degree of material suffering from being a poor country rather than a rich country is phenomenal. Starvation sucks.

It's compelling stuff, but it gets to that big discussion of the meaning of fairness, and agency... I definitely agree with government being a necessity, and that one of those primary responsibilities being to protect the poor; however, I feel that in our current global political climate, true philanthropy has a better chance of addressing poverty than government intervention. Especially on a scale of significant length, as people tend to create imbalance within whatever systems you place them in.

in a pattern that (I am sorry to say) seems common when you talk about economics, I have no clue what you are trying to say. You hedge in a way that removes all meaning.

Because if I don't hedge verbosely I've noticed I get short quoted and spend longer until the signal is loss for the noise. I was saying that your data is meaningless, though, so it's all good.
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    actually, the middle east is interesting and I don't really know how shit works there

I mean, I know they've got old-school absolute monarchies, but the royals don't count as "the elite"

they rule the elite.

But how do the top positions in business, government and society in those countries work?
    xlh6c3.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Stupid fish and stupid people who can eat fish

You know that big clump of plastic swirling around in the ocean? It's slowly breaking down and entering the food chain. Eating fish isn't so great.

(This is all according to my parents who get their news from Bill Marr and the daily show)
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

very few countries in europe would let you have the title in your passport. Or care about it at all.

Well there goes that dream.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

And then we had him be the bottom of a human pyramid.

USA! USA! USA!
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

true dat

Only in America.

if not for oil, these states would be happily irrelevant to world affairs :\
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I cannot stop laughing at this amazing gif

http://imgur.com/gallery/Xl8pjnl

Oh my god
This discussion has been closed.