Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I think the thac0 confusion comes from my 2nd ed (read: old as fuck) DM that thinks he knows it and he doesn't

because he was definitely saying that low attack rolls are better than high ones
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    89 cents? are you kidding me?

is that thing made out of floor scrapings or something?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    He has gastroesophogeal skrillex disease

doctor, that sounds bad. is it terminal?

no, but it is bassinal.

yissssssssssssssssssssssssss
    919UOwT.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    After grocery shopping last night, I realized I was missing three important things needed in preparation of many foods.
    1) A can opener
    2) A microwave
    3) A toaster

Luckily I realized most of that while I was still at the store so only the can opener really fucked me over.
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    hey special k how are you

Work stinks dubstep rules

I shall overcome though

stop the bassecution
    919UOwT.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

You'd probably like my WIP RPG system, Gooey.

you could be a Bassassin... (Real class in my game.)
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    I typed in 'bass wub' into the search bar and got this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOA5dpX9xw
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I think the thac0 confusion comes from my 2nd ed (read: old as fuck) DM that thinks he knows it and he doesn't

because he was definitely saying that low attack rolls are better than high ones

he is a dumb.

Attack rolls have always been aim high in all forms of D&D. You just want your THACO to be low so that you don't need to roll as high to hit your target.

that's why the fighter's thaco table goes down so fast over their level progression as compared to a wizard.
    meat.jpg
  • DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Thac0 is such a shitty system, at least as it applies to videogames. Armor class making it so you are harder to hit is simply counterintuitive as fuck.

I thought it wasn't chance to hit, it was chance to hit an exposed fleshy part of the body.

Basically. It actually makes sense. Whether an attack bounces off your armor or you dodge it the effect is the same... you do not end up wounded. If the attack both lands and finds a fleshybit/pierces the armor then you are injured. It's simple but sensible.
    archer2.png
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Resident Evil Revelations has the best alt costume for Chris ever

945690_587353067952251_1748403679_n.jpg

Wait you can literally make him a Tom of Finland character?
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Don't know if this has been posted in previous chats but I just ran across this on the front page of Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvm7MPquBE

HOW DOES SHE STILL HAVE ACCESS TO A MICROPHONE?
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    And I am not saying thaco is a good system; it is needlessly complex.

But it isn't this impossible to understand nightmare like people who got into the game later make it out to be. I played many many great games using those mechanics and once learned they never got in the way.
    meat.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    im at work eric what is she saying :-o
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    P10 wrote: »
    Apparently JE Sawyer (one of the main writers on New Vegas) asks female fans of his if they know what Thack0 is, and when they don't he smugly goes THAT'S WHAT I'D EXPECT FROM A TRENDY GIRL GAMER
    source? because my understanding of josh sawyer is he's a cool dude (also an elf)
    vhtdss.gif

I don't have a source unfortunately I heard this a while ago

Yeah, having interacted with Sawyer in a few contexts over several years I really can't see this as having actually happened

edit: rephrase: having happened in earnest, without him smirking like an idiot before saying he was kidding
    Elldren on
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    hot cop alternate skins for all dudes
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    We have seven bottles of fizzy for ten people.

for breakfast.

17th's gonna be a good day.
    xlh6c3.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

@DreadPirateArbuthnot
    Short version: 9/11 and Boston Marathon are God's judgement.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    I ran a 4E game where we had a shitload of people and 2 DMs and we had a split party situation that we designed and ran separately to playtest, culminating in a massive encounter combining both DMs and parties. The dragon BBEG was almost taken out, and he was set to flee when his health was low. He got away, and that was the end of our one shot. Ho boy the party didn't like that shit.

I love how almost every module has a listing in the monster tactics that says they will try to flee at a certain hit point level. I've had very few GMs actually do it very often though because of how it often leads to table flipping. I mean if its a plot thing, cool. But according to most monster manuals, your players would be spending 15 minutes on a combat only to be robbed of lewts and xp.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular

@DreadPirateArbuthnot
    Short version: 9/11 and Boston Marathon are God's judgement.

wow.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Reposting this cuz it's great

iZyMR91.png
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    the eye of odin opens up

16 titties fall out
    edited May 2013
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I ran a 4E game where we had a shitload of people and 2 DMs and we had a split party situation that we designed and ran separately to playtest, culminating in a massive encounter combining both DMs and parties. The dragon BBEG was almost taken out, and he was set to flee when his health was low. He got away, and that was the end of our one shot. Ho boy the party didn't like that shit.

I love how almost every module has a listing in the monster tactics that says they will try to flee at a certain hit point level. I've had very few GMs actually do it very often though because of how it often leads to table flipping. I mean if its a plot thing, cool. But according to most monster manuals, your players would be spending 15 minutes on a combat only to be robbed of lewts and xp.

This is why I give encounter experience and rewards, and a reduced amount of XP per monster than recommended.

Even if a critter or two runs away, they get XP for the challenge they faced, and some loot strewn on the field of battle (weapons dropped when they flee, stuff knocked off monsters during the fight, etc)
    syndalis on
    meat.jpg
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

8: |

8 : o

say what
    919UOwT.png

Short shorts, motorcycle boots, mirrored aviators

"I'm taking you down to the station."
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular

Maybe he's confusing it with Saving Throws? Weren't 2nd Ed saving throws better if lower?

/don't quite remember, it's been a while
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

This is why I give encounter experience and rewards, and a reduced amount of XP per monster than recommended.

Even if a critter or two runs away, they get XP for the challenge they faced, and some loot strewn on the field of battle (weapons dropped when they flee, stuff knocked off monsters during the fight, etc)
    This is why I use burning wheel. :p

D&D was best when the GM just went "Yeah you guys have done enough challenges to go up a level, here you go."

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    > testForCausalityForIOne(window(lngdpsa,c(1997,02),c(2012,04)),window(lnm3sa,c(1997,02),c(2012,04)),8)
    Number of lags, selected by AIC: 2

Granger causality H0: output do not Granger-cause money

data:  VAR object model 
    F-Test = 0.3445, df1 = 2, df2 = 108, p-value = 0.7093

Granger causality H0: money do not Granger-cause output

F-Test = 0.7536, df1 = 2, df2 = 108, p-value = 0.4731

==================================================
    > testForCausalityForIOne(window(lngdpsa,c(1986,01),c(2012,04)),window(lnm3sa,c(1986,01),c(2012,04)),8)
    Number of lags, selected by AIC: 2

F-Test = 4.0459, df1 = 2, df2 = 198, p-value = 0.01896

F-Test = 0.1904, df1 = 2, df2 = 198, p-value = 0.8268

> testForCausalityForIOne(window(lngdpsa,c(1986,01),c(1997,02)),window(lnm3sa,c(1986,01),c(1997,02)),8)
    Number of lags, selected by AIC: 1

F-Test = 0, df1 = 1, df2 = 80, p-value = 1

F-Test = 1.0562, df1 = 1, df2 = 80, p-value = 0.3072

IDGI
    desc wrote: »

Short shorts, motorcycle boots, mirrored aviators

"I'm taking you down to the station."

3 shirt buttons undone

glorious carpet of chest hair protruding

fingerless leather gloves
    919UOwT.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    like, over the whole period output causes M3?

but not in either subset?

what's up with that, was the causality over the Asian financial crisis in two glorious lags really all that stunning
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

say what

The setting is a world of music. Every character is a musician of some sort, because music has power in this world.

The combat system is going to be based on modular actions that stack with other previous actions by the characters and simultaneous actions by teammates.

And one class is the Bassassin, whose responsibility is to keep a bass line going to buff and heal the rest of the band.

But of course, dropping the bass would deal devastating damage.

(I don't know music, but i like to pretend I do. Does it work so far?)

Maybe he's confusing it with Saving Throws? Weren't 2nd Ed saving throws better if lower?

/don't quite remember, it's been a while

No, saving throws were also aim high.

non-weapon proficiencies were aim low, not high.
    meat.jpg
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

If you follow the guides exactly (and no one does), the ones I've seen suggest that you don't just give exp for killing monsters. Party completes a quest? Fuckton of exp. Character manages a series of difficult skill rolls to break out of a dungeon? Exp. Get out of a situation in a clever way? Exp.

If a monster successfully escapes, then the players should still be getting exp. You can adjust the amount how you feel, relative to a kill. And I personally don't like the idea of loot tied to monsters. Despite what Final Fantasy may say, that bear you're fighting probably does NOT carry a wallet for you to steal.
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A: Facebook has a 'suggest a friend' feature.
    B: Suggest a friend is terribly designed, because I assumed some stranger sent me a request, and it took me a minute to see the fine print and realize someone was asking me to add someone else as a friend, not that I was getting a friend request.
    C: Weirdos.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
    ronya wrote: »
    like, over the whole period output causes M3?

but not in either subset?

what's up with that, was the causality over the Asian financial crisis in two glorious lags really all that stunning

shhhhhhhhh

Ronya

take your pills and settle down
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

say what

The setting is a world of music. Every character is a musician of some sort, because music has power in this world.

The combat system is going to be based on modular actions that stack with other previous actions by the characters and simultaneous actions by teammates.

And one class is the Bassassin, whose responsibility is to keep a bass line going to buff and heal the rest of the band.

Yes.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

say what

This sounds fantastic.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    All I remember about Great Gatsby was this rich dude wanted this chick to touch his wiener but he was too shy to ask so he threw big parties, always hoping she'd come over one day and touch his wiener.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

say what

Yes.

stop 21st

you don't want to get desc like this

it's like giving a puppy sugar
    THBC0

to hit bass class 0

8]

say what

soooooo

you're remaking Brutal Legend?

R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.