Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Neat, time to be a classy well spoken murderer.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that I really should have bought Mark of the Ninja instead of the Fable pack, but I have a hankering for some shitty RPG playing.

Oh well, it will probably be on sale again eventually.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I leave for work and everyone is gambling with cards or something.

Can't wait to join in.
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
    Now that I think about it, I really should have bought Risen 2 instead considering that I loved Risen 1.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I have a feeling that I really should have bought Mark of the Ninja instead of the Fable pack, but I have a hankering for some shitty RPG playing.

Oh well, it will probably be on sale again eventually.

It's on the Amazon sale for $3.75.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Steam needs to get those invites pumping.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Any information on how big the sets are gonna be? If you can't earn any new cards above a certain limit (5 for tf2 appearantly, as previously stated) how the hell are you gonna complete the sets?
    "In this discussion of copyright [extension] it's actually appropriate to call it theft.
    This music is being (preemptively) removed from the public domain; it's being stolen from the people."
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    If anyone has an extra beta invite, I'd appreciate one.
    steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Any information on how big the sets are gonna be? If you can't earn any new cards above a certain limit (5 for tf2 appearantly, as previously stated) how the hell are you gonna complete the sets?

Trading? It's a trading card game, after all.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Woot I managed to craft a TF2 badge. I sold most of my cards last night and then used the proceeds to buy back cards at lower prices this morning.

Only thing I'm kinda aggravated about it that Beta Access passes are selling for $2.50 and I sold one for pennies yesterday(2 were given to PA people, probably should have just given all 3 away).

Now do I sell the emoticon and background that crafting the badge produced and do the whole thing over again but for Portal 2?
    Incindium on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I jumped on Amazon having the steam unlock for Rocksmith for $20. Apparently I didn't account for the fact that no one sells the guitar to USB cable for less than $30 anywhere that I can find. Whoops.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    That's still a $10 discount but not as big a discount as you may have thought since its without the cable.
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Riot Nrrd Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Richard wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Does anyone know how fast the beta invites are rolling out? It seems like a ton of people have them.

And then there's me.

Go stand in the loser corner. With me.

And me.

Room for one more? I've got a six-pack and a bag of chips

I'll bring tacos.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Richard wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Does anyone know how fast the beta invites are rolling out? It seems like a ton of people have them.

And then there's me.

Go stand in the loser corner. With me.

And me.

Room for one more? I've got a six-pack and a bag of chips

I'll bring tacos.

And my axe.
    sig.gif

2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I just learned about cards 3 minutes ago and now I need a beta invite. Please, think of how much you hate me and want me to lose a personal life.
    steam_sig.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

If the sets are bigger than the "card hand limit", no I don't really see how you're gonna trade all of them together.
    "In this discussion of copyright [extension] it's actually appropriate to call it theft.
    This music is being (preemptively) removed from the public domain; it's being stolen from the people."
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, I really should have bought Risen 2 instead considering that I loved Risen 1.

Also on Amazon sale for $7.49

...we could do this all day @Couscous.

that is very tempting but I bought Dark Souls instead
    steam_sig.png
    Oh shit custom profiles now too. I'm loving this card thing. And I just realised I'm 32 games away from 1000.
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2013
    rikdaly wrote: »

Also on Amazon sale for $7.49

...we could do this all day @Couscous.

that is very tempting but I bought Dark Souls instead

I saw that too. That was one of the games I was thinking about doing another giveaway for. Everyone should experience the true pain of trial and error.
    Big Classy wrote: »
    ...And I just realised I'm 32 games away from 1000.

O_O. That's unbelievable.
    KoopahTroopah on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I jumped on Amazon having the steam unlock for Rocksmith for $20. Apparently I didn't account for the fact that no one sells the guitar to USB cable for less than $30 anywhere that I can find. Whoops.

That's pretty much the only reason I haven't gotten it up to this point. I'm definitely interested in it, but I already have a good (Line6) guitar to USB interface. Why would I want to spend $30 on a cheap proprietary one?
    camo_sig2.png
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know if the NFS bundle unlocks on Steam?

I'm interested in it, but not interested enough in it that if it isn't steamable I won't get it
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TTPRE8?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=S_VKxL41EeKBnwLjBHCCfw0_2.wY3_aFN_0_0

Also same applies for Gothic 3
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0ZH3Q?tag=cheapassgam08-20
    iRevert on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    These cards might help me to finally beat Portal 2. I know. I'm a terrible person.
    steam_sig.png
    iRevert wrote: »

I'm interested in it, but not interested enough in it that if it isn't steamable I won't get it
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TTPRE8?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=S_VKxL41EeKBnwLjBHCCfw0_2.wY3_aFN_0_0

Looks like both are digital downloads and not Steam codes. You can usually check if the description says "Requires Steam and Login to install" or something like that. Or if the name itself has [Online Game Code] in the title.
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That's pretty much the only reason I haven't gotten it up to this point. I'm definitely interested in it, but I already have a good (Line6) guitar to USB interface. Why would I want to spend $30 on a cheap proprietary one?

The RealTone Cable is decent. It's nowhere near my Focusrite, but it gets the job done for the game. If you end up getting the game, play through the songs that come with the game and try to hold out on any DLC until the summer sale. I bought quite a few during the winter sale last year. Holding out for some of the songs released since then that Rocksmith DLC will get another sale during the summer. Also pinball tables.
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

Looks like both are digital downloads and not Steam codes. You can usually check if the description says "Requires Steam and Login to install" or something like that. Or if the name itself has [Online Game Code] in the title.

and with that a great "fuckith that" was uttered, and all was well once again.
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular

If the sets are bigger than the "card hand limit", no I don't really see how you're gonna trade all of them together.

This is basically my Big Question so far. As it currently stands, you are allowed a number of "drops" that is approximately 1/2 of the total cards available for a game; TF2 you can get 5/9, Portal 2 4/8, etc. Drops occur randomly while playing; I only played Portal 2 for maybe two hours yesterday and got my 4 cards.

NOW:
    No one knows if your drop allotment resets; lots of people are asking, but I haven't seen any word on it yet. But, we're left with two options. Either drops reset after <X> time, and you can earn more cards for that game at that time, OR, your inital drops are it; that's all you get.

If the system is the former, it's not a huge deal, as you'll keep acquiring and eventually complete sets; or at least have some stock of trade fodder. If it's the latter, well, then you better pick what badge you want to focus on, then play every other game that's not it to farm for your initial cards to use up as trade stock. Or, you know, give your money to the Newell and buy them on the market.

Only time will tell, since so far today, Valve's not.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • harvestharvest Registered User regular
    Do all or most games have cards or just popular/Valve-owned ones or what?
    steam_sig.png
    Black: 0389 8074 1114 - 3DS: 4940-5435-1167 - PSN: Haarvest
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

This is basically my Big Question so far. As it currently stands, you are allowed a number of "drops" that is approximately 1/2 of the total cards available for a game; TF2 you can get 5/9, Portal 2 4/8, etc. Drops occur randomly while playing; I only played Portal 2 for maybe two hours yesterday and got my 4 cards.

NOW:
    No one knows if your drop allotment resets; lots of people are asking, but I haven't seen any word on it yet. But, we're left with two options. Either drops reset after <X> time, and you can earn more cards for that game at that time, OR, your inital drops are it; that's all you get.

If the system is the former, it's not a huge deal, as you'll keep acquiring and eventually complete sets; or at least have some stock of trade fodder. If it's the latter, well, then you better pick what badge you want to focus on, then play every other game that's not it to farm for your initial cards to use up as trade stock. Or, you know, give your money to the Newell and buy them on the market.

I cant believe valve made a Trading Card game about cards, then expect you to trade ones you don't want for ones you do. It honestly blows my mind how they think trading cards work. Ugh, fuck those guys.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

NOW:

I cant believe valve made a Trading Card game about cards, then expect you to trade ones you don't want for ones you do. It honestly blows my mind how they think trading cards work. Ugh, fuck those guys.

But you see, you can BUY the cards you're missing, rendering the entire T part of TCG completely useless.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Well I mean in actual TCGs you can also buy the cards.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg

NOW:

But you see, you can BUY the cards you're missing, rendering the entire T part of TCG completely useless.

And if you're broke?
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular

You can sell any physical cards as well. Of course you can also trade with people who want specific cards you have, because they're collecting and not just harvesting. So make friends with people who want to complete their badges, and don't want to spend money.

I'm still willing to trade CSGO, HL2, and Don't Starve cards for Dota ones I don't have.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited May 2013
    Goddamnit, Windows Live. The fucking thing won't let me delete my password information so I can put in my correct password. Neither the backspace nor the delete button work. Help?

Edit: Nevermind. I have to unclick the button to save your username and password.
    Couscous on
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular

NOW:

Most trading card games have ways to pick up "boosters". In this paradigm, the only known "boosters" are "buy more games". So, yeah, I can idle in DOTA2 for a couple cards. But, I don't really want to buy CS:GO just to earn 4 more cards to trade towards Portal cards.

That's the question. I'm fine with rarity and trading and all that jazz; I just want to know what methods of acquiring drops there are, as that's going to determine my level of interest. If the drop timers reset after a week, sure, I'll play some more older games. I'm not going to make one-time game purchases for 4 digital cards, though.

Also, dude, don't need to take an attitude. I just want to know what the entry points for card acquisition are.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    So I asked about Civ V: Gold a couple days ago in regards to that Amazon sale. Today I noticed that there is a "Firaxis Complete Pack" which has Civ 4: Complete, Civ 5: Gold, and XCom: Enemy Unknown. That is a better deal for me as I wanted to get XCOM and Civ5: Gold. Civ4 is a decent throw in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPBZDPE

So I'm being foiled by Amazon due to living in Canada. I assume if I had someone from the USA buy this pack I would still be able to redeem the codes on Steam?

If so, anyone interested in helping me out? If you bought the game and gave me the codes, I could transfer you the money via PayPal (or gift you something on steam that comes out to the same price).
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    So I asked about Civ V: Gold a couple days ago in regards to that Amazon sale. Today I noticed that there is a "Firaxis Complete Pack" which has Civ 4: Complete, Civ 5: Gold, and XCom: Enemy Unknown. That is a better deal for me as I wanted to get XCOM and Civ5: Gold. Civ4 is a decent throw in.

So I'm being foiled by Amazon due to living in Canada. I assume if I had someone from the USA buy this pack I would still be able to redeem the codes on Steam?

If so, anyone interested in helping me out? If you bought the game and gave me the codes, I could transfer you the money via PayPal (or gift you something on steam that comes out to the same price).

I managed to get Dark Souls off Amazon and I live in sunny England, according to Amazon I live at pizza hut in Anchorage
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, Windows Live. The fucking thing won't let me delete my password information so I can put in my correct password. Neither the backspace nor the delete button work. Help?

Edit: Nevermind. I have to unclick the button to save your username and password.

Oh man, I ran into that issue a year or two ago. What a bizarre problem. Thankfully it's the worst problem I've had with GFWL. Compared to other people's issues, I've had overall good experiences.
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »

I managed to get Dark Souls off Amazon and I live in sunny England, according to Amazon I live at pizza hut in Anchorage

You just changed your billing address? Did you purchase it with a Visa? I was under the impression that they would verify the billing address against your Visa billing address.

I don't see why not? I think it would work like that. If anyone wants to confirm, I'd be glad to help you out and you can gift me La Mulana and Receiver if you'd wish.