Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [steam] thread - Serving the Newell with open hearts and wallets.

1171819202123»

• Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    If people are still dying to get rid of Shogun coupons, I'll take one. I've enjoyed TW games in the past.
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Steam is now incentivising playing games you played in order to get trading cards and complete badges, aka working on your backlog

And every badge created has a chance of giving you a discount coupon, so you add more games to your library!

Buy games, play games, get discounts/addicted, buy more games

And most importantly, SERVE THE NEWELL
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    heenato was warned for this.
    InkSplat wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I am sure cards will be as prevalent as achievements in the next 12 months.
    If they can get them awarded retroactively, that's fine. If not, then that's a problem.

..how is it a problem? Its a free feature.
    What if you've already 100%ed the game in question?

IcyLiquid on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    If they can get them awarded retroactively, that's fine. If not, then that's a problem.

If they're not retroactive (they won't be retroactive), I'll go idle some more main menus for even more games that I've already played. It's not a big deal.
    camo_sig.png
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular

Load up the game and wander off. You don't actually have to play the game to get the cards just having it running works. I can see how annoying it could be to just run a game for some cards, with the re-downloading, installing ect. However it is a completely pointless thing. Getting cards only allows you to craft badges. Crafting badges raises your "level", and can drop emotes, backgrounds for your profile, and coupons. Honestly if it annoys in the slightest, I'd simply walk away and not worry about it.
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!

So what? It's not like you have to beat the game again to get your full allotment of cards. Set it running, go do the dishes, come back, and you're done.
    camo_sig.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Work has kept me from keeping up with the thread of late, so I don't quite understand the card thing.

If you get in on the collectable card beta, you play certain games which give you cards, and these cards lead to Steam badges. Do I have that right?
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    They could tie cards to achievements, which would be absolutely evil. Then you can't just idle, but you'd have to actually play and pay attention to all the achievements.
    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan)
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    There's gotta be a way to edit this comic for the cards situation:

215546990_Nq5Qk-L-2.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    It feels wrong to just leave games running. They deserve to be played!
    steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo Registered User regular
    Someday (soon) the time-played stat will cease to have any meaning.
    steam_sig.png

• Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @CorriganX for the Shogun II Coupon!
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    an_alt wrote: »
    Work has kept me from keeping up with the thread of late, so I don't quite understand the card thing.

If you get in on the collectable card beta, you play certain games which give you cards, and these cards lead to Steam badges money in your Steam wallet if you don't care about virtual badges. Do I have that right?

camo_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    heenato was warned for this.
    I was responding to if in the future ACHIEVEMENTS were to get cards. I mean, yeah, I suppose it would be in addition to just run time, but still. People would be screwed out of possibly another full drop of cards on the off chance that they finished all the achievements before the trading cards were a thing.
    Rorus Raz on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215546990_Nq5Qk-L-2.jpg

You won't have to do nearly so much to make this one work:
    215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg
    TARA.gif Click for Steam Profile. WiiU ID: Taramoor
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Woooo trading card invite gotten thanks to the exceedingly classy @HeirTransparent

Right, so how does this work then. I have it as a thing in my game list but just comes up as missing executable when I try to start it. Do they cards just collect in your inventory?
    Steam: Dr. Mark Sloan - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mere_immortal - 3DS: 0748-1545-6684
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Speaking of coupons, I have a couple up for grabs:

50% OFF Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Valid until 5/30/2013)
    25% OFF Zeno Clash 2 (Valid until 5/31/2013)
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215546990_Nq5Qk-L-2.jpg

You won't have to do nearly so much to make this one work:
    215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg
    ahem
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Has anybody played Reus? On sale today. It looks super neat, as someone who is way into giants and god games and giant god games. Or at least the idea of them, historically. Thinking about picking it up but I'd love some impressions if anybody has checked it out.
    steam_sig.png
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Thrack wrote: »
    Don't get mad at me, but since my days of TF2 are kinda behind me (not to mention I just don't have the time right now to actually sit down and shoot some mans); can someone tell me if you have to be in a server to get cards or can you just load the game up and sit there at the menu?
    Add the following to your launch options
    -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw -maxplayers 2 +sv_lan 1 +map "itemtest"
    This is also useful for getting your weekly item and crate drops

I also just loaded up a private TF2 server and idled while I worked. Got all the cards that way.

Update: If you haven't gotten in on it yet, the BeMine8 bundle continues to be a really fantastic bundle. They just added Blades of Time Limited Edition (Steam Key) as one of the two secret games, and it looks like Karateka will be unlocked as a bonus either today or tomorrow.

So for 5 bucks you get the following Steam games: Patrician IV & Expansion, Slam Bolt Scrappers, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Blood Bowl Legendary Edition, Drakensang & Blades of Time.

Could everyone get a few hundred of their friends to buy this one? I really, really want Karateka :)
    steam_sig.png
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent Registered User regular
    Woooo trading card invite gotten thanks to the exceedingly classy @HeirTransparent

Right, so how does this work then. I have it as a thing in my game list but just comes up as missing executable when I try to start it. Do they cards just collect in your inventory?

If it put you into the Beta properly, you should have a Badges option under your name in the Steam client (and community site). Take a look there. If not, I would try restarting your Steam client.
    tXTuC6m.jpg
    steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Hm, I wonder what the foil prices are going to settle at.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    So I finally get Dark Souls and it doesn't even work lol, way to go game. "Exe has stopped working" Been fiddling with it for almost an hour now and can't get the game to launch. Figures. The world just does not want me to have this game.
    steam_sig.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Thrack wrote: »
    Don't get mad at me, but since my days of TF2 are kinda behind me (not to mention I just don't have the time right now to actually sit down and shoot some mans); can someone tell me if you have to be in a server to get cards or can you just load the game up and sit there at the menu?
    Add the following to your launch options
    -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw -maxplayers 2 +sv_lan 1 +map "itemtest"
    This is also useful for getting your weekly item and crate drops

I also just loaded up a private TF2 server and idled while I worked. Got all the cards that way.

Update: If you haven't gotten in on it yet, the BeMine8 bundle continues to be a really fantastic bundle. They just added Blades of Time Limited Edition (Steam Key) as one of the two secret games, and it looks like Karateka will be unlocked as a bonus either today or tomorrow.

So for 5 bucks you get the following Steam games: Patrician IV & Expansion, Slam Bolt Scrappers, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Blood Bowl Legendary Edition, Drakensang & Blades of Time.

Sorry for horrific quote tree, on my phone and editing is tricky.

The multiplayer mode in Blades of Time sucked away hours and hours of my life, its my favorite take on lane-based mobaesque games yet.
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    So I'm a teeny tiny bit late to the party, but holy shit is Portal 2 amazing!
    I think I'll pop into the PA group sometime soon so that I can get someone to do some jolly cooperation with me, it looks like it would be a hoot!

I'm looking at delicious deals, without the ability to actually waste cash I've managed to pick up Receiver (the game's a blast, if anyone's on the fence about it). I am starting to think that Steam itself is a game, it's a game of acquiring games, the count of titles you have is your XP bar :P
    Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    I think I'll pop into the PA group sometime soon so that I can get someone to do some jolly cooperation with me, it looks like it would be a hoot!

I'm looking at delicious deals, without the ability to actually waste cash I've managed to pick up Receiver (the game's a blast, if anyone's on the fence about it). I am starting to think that Steam itself is a game, it's a game of acquiring games, the count of titles you have is your XP bar :P

If you plan on doing the coop route, make sure to do your best to find someone who had never played it before. Its super awesome to solve the puzzles together rather than try to do it yourself while the other guy just waits to show you how its done. :p
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • DahkathDahkath Registered User regular
    @Spoit,

Thanks for the heads up about using eBay to score one of those AMD Never Settle promo cards. Picked up Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Blood Dragon for 34 bucks!
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1005-9043-1577
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

If you plan on doing the coop route, make sure to do your best to find someone who had never played it before. Its super awesome to solve the puzzles together rather than try to do it yourself while the other guy just waits to show you how its done. :p

Well me and wife are trying to break out into making videos on games cooperatively. So far, it's been a blast going through Orcs Must Die 2 with her (bad thing is that she's generally better than I am at games...and now it's documented). We just picked up Borderlands 2, but, sadly, her computer can't handle it, so we're going to go for Portal 2 next, I think, cause she has no idea what the game is even about...well sort of, she watched me play a little.
    Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Dissociater was warned for this.
    Man I'm pretty sure I looked at this thread yesterday, and now I'm down 500 some posts?! What have you all been doing in here??
    IcyLiquid on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Man I'm pretty sure I looked at this thread yesterday, and now I'm down 500 some posts?! What have you all been doing in here??

Gimmie all your cards and I'll tell you what we've been up to.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    BlindPsychic was warned for this.
    So I finally get Dark Souls and it doesn't even work lol, way to go game. "Exe has stopped working" Been fiddling with it for almost an hour now and can't get the game to launch. Figures. The world just does not want me to have this game.

Have you applied w/e the graphics fix is called? It will cause a CTD if you start it with one of the graphic settings enabled.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Beep Booper Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Created a truncated version of the previous OP so we can return to being classy and excellent to each other in short order.

Geth warn
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @Idx86, there is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot. A punch to the face is also likely.
    Warned @Idx86 (2 points for 1 week)